New use for babypowder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New use for babypowder

I was grooming a maltese puppy today and got the nail just a wee bit too short (after the bath of course) I couldn't find my quickstop so I grabbed the next best thing, babypowder! Its 100% cornstarch (at least the shaker I had was) and doesn't leave a black/yellow mess. It stopped the bleeding pretty easily, too! It wasn't bleeding very much though so I'm not sure how it would do with a real bleeder.

My instructor said that baking soda also works really well as a quickstop.

Sugar works on snipped tongues (thank goodness I've never seen that happen.. knock on wood).

Comment

I've used cornstarch to stop bleeding on birds. It's a natural clotting agent.

That's why it's used in soups as a rue to thicken it up.

Congrats...

Has to be the cornstarch baby powder though, not the talc.
      Becky

Comment

well let me tell ya what I've heard!

Oh, about a year ago we had a lady call about her 9 month maltese who had never been groomed, she insisted that it wasn't matted but had some tangles and didn't want it short. She wanted us to put baby powder in it's coat to get the "tangles out", she claimed the breeder told her that you'd have to work at it, but it would cause them to come out. All I can say is...wow.

Comment

Let me tell you what I've heard

Originally posted by Reddobe1 View Post
          Oh, about a year ago we had a lady call about her 9 month maltese who had never been groomed, she insisted that it wasn't matted but had some tangles and didn't want it short. She wanted us to put baby powder in it's coat to get the "tangles out", she claimed the breeder told her that you'd have to work at it, but it would cause them to come out. All I can say is...wow.
          I know it sounds idiotic, but it is true. If you have a coat with a lot of sand in it, it will sometimes brush out easier, same with powder.

astrordog

Comment

When I was in grooming school they told us to use cornstarch in matts to brush out. I have tried it, but I don't do much dematting anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by diemonster View Post
              My instructor said that baking soda also works really well as a quickstop.

Sugar works on snipped tongues (thank goodness I've never seen that happen.. knock on wood).
              I've heard that baking soda and flour together work realy great at home. I've used flour, and it was ok, just took a little while. I haven't tried the two together.
              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Once when I cut one of my bird's nails too short she panicked causing it to REALLY bleed and all I could find to use was pancake mix lol. It worked too but the darn bird kept eating it and starting the bleeding again. But it did work.

Comment

Originally posted by astrordog View Post
                  I know it sounds idiotic, but it is true. If you have a coat with a lot of sand in it, it will sometimes brush out easier, same with powder.

astrordog

Yup, very true- helps with brush outs on cats, too. Of course, I got that knowledge back in the 'old days', before there were 80 types of detangler sprays, and everyone brushed out their dogs 'dry'.lol Oh, it does seem to help with brush burning, too. :-)

Comment

Working...
                  X