Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I did it! I did it! I can hire a bather now!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did it! I did it! I can hire a bather now!!

I gave my proposal to Dr. E who owns the animal hospital I work for. I gave some modest calculations, explained that we would BOTH make more money. He did some immediate calculations of his own and seemed impressed.

I told him, "Yes, technically you could hire another groomer and make a LITTLE more---that is IF you want to deal with another groomer." (He's had BAD luck with groomers). Then I added, "But---this is a way we can BOTH make more money, fewer problems, and if we MARKET the bath-only dogs, the bather is PAID FOR and you will make more money than if you hired another groomer. Believe me, hiring another groomer would be a big mistake."

He was very impressed. Then his wife came along. Same with her. She pelted me with a few questions and I dodged them with ease, using the information gained here AND in the book From Problems to Profits.

They were both impressed with the idea. I talked at length with them both, telling them my goals, and the add-ons I wanted to market so that again, we could both make more money.

So today I brought the bather idea up to Dr. E again and he said, "I'm sorry, I haven't had a chance to really go over that," and told him I understood but that the person I had in mind really needs a job and had an interview elsewhere on Monday, etc...

An hour later he comes back to the groom room with some expectations for hiring a bather. I will be the bather's "supervisor," etc etc...it was well-written and clear. Then he said the thing that meant the most. This man doesn't say a whole lot, he's funny, and nice, ethical, etc, but he has a hard time complimenting the work people do for him. He said "I have to commend you on doing this the smart way." He was impressed. It helps that I was "armed" with all the information here at my fingertips for so many years!!! Thanks all!

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

YAY

Sounds good and well planned. I guess you really do know a bather looking for work. Wow, you have done well.
    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

oh, bather...

Well done, Tammy, now you ONLY need to find a good bather. I am lucky that I do have a very good bather, but he doesn't always listen to me

I just received my Bathing Beauty and I love it. Now I ONLY need to convince my bather to use it. I somehow feel my bather is jealous of the BB ???

Comment

wooohoo Congratulations Tammy!!!!!!!! Didnt I tell you going to these vets with everything in writing is the way to go??

Comment

JJK, you crack me up! Your husband (the "bather") is jealous of the BB? How funny! Glad you like it though.

Jadenlea, yes, and it worked like a charm! Unfortunately last night I couldn't sleep:

"What if she doesn't show up to work? What if she's always late? What if her child gets sick and she can't come in? What if she has a flat tire? What if..."

Ugh, maybe I just want to work alone, LOL!!

Tammy in Utah

Comment

You are going to love grooming with a bather. I rarely get use of a bather but when I do it is so much more fun and profitable. Also less physically exhausting.

Comment

way to go Tammy!! I hope the calculations I suggested helped! now, as you get busier, you might want to add a groomer...or an associate I should say! lol Glad it worked out for you! Now, good luck with keeping one! I go through a bather about every 4 months! ugh they start out good, then slowly slide out the door! lol

Comment

Way to go Tammy!!!!
                "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                Nancy

Comment

Thanks folks!

Hairdevil, my plan is to turn that bather into a "trimmer," and then hire another bather. Bather-trimmer-groomer. A lot less work for me, more money though! Not sure if this will work or not, but it's a plan.

There is only so much room at that animal hospital.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Congrats Tammy... Good luck with the bather.

I know he's had bad luck with groomers. I applied there after his other groomers up and left him for a new shop that opened down the street. Then it was between another guy and me when he was hiring. He hired the other guy and he turned out to be a horrible groomer. So the receptionists told me. But I found a job working with you... Good thing they finally found a good groomer.
                    Becky

Comment

Your back thanks you!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yippee Yippeee Yippeee

you sounded so excited...you got me all excited....good for you. very professional sounding presentation from what you described.. i love my bather. i don't even want to work without him there. makes my life sooo much easier.. and i treat him very well. so he treats me very well. i share my tips with him.if it's a bathdog and he did most of the work and i just finish it up, i give him the whole tip. it's so worth it to treat them right. the bather works just as hard, if not harder than we do. i have never had fast turnaround with bathers. so if they're good.appreciate it. and treat them right..because you can make alot more money having a bather.

Comment

You go girl! You have it together. You are truly an asset and I sure hope your doc knows it!!!

Comment

im sure a majority of bathers WANT to learn how to groom...so if you ask them from the get go if they would like to learn how to groom and they say yes...then you KNOW its the way to go! there are some downfalls to this though...im sure others will point it out. but one thing is this...if your bather is REALLY good at what they do...make sure to compliment them on a job well done, and DONT screw the over in the end. most of us bathers go unappreciated or underappreciated. i know one place i worked at i was totally stressed out and didnt like showing up for work! i did though because i made about 180 dollars working 3 days a week, BUT for the stress of doing it, feeling extremley rushed and feeling slow because the groomers would come in and check to see if the dog was done...it wasnt worth it to me. last place screwed me over badly, and i wont ever work for a newly opened salon again. basically not enough business to keep me occupied and she told some pretty bad lie's to me. now i understand why most of you guys work alone until you HAVE enough business to hire a bather...i mean...she was grooming out of her house for 3 yrs...but who opens a new business, then 2 wks later hires a bather? it slowed down ALOT after those first 2 wks...it was semi good then it got really slow...then never seemed to pick up after that. she was always complaining about money, about how she couldnt pay me more etc etc...
                            whatever.
                            Good luck with your bather and hopefully they will want to learn more!
                            Hound

Comment

Originally posted by HoundLover View Post
                              im sure a majority of bathers WANT to learn how to groom...so if you ask them from the get go if they would like to learn how to groom and they say yes...then you KNOW its the way to go! there are some downfalls to this though...im sure others will point it out. but one thing is this...if your bather is REALLY good at what they do...make sure to compliment them on a job well done, and DONT screw the over in the end. most of us bathers go unappreciated or underappreciated. i know one place i worked at i was totally stressed out and didnt like showing up for work! i did though because i made about 180 dollars working 3 days a week, BUT for the stress of doing it, feeling extremley rushed and feeling slow because the groomers would come in and check to see if the dog was done...it wasnt worth it to me. last place screwed me over badly, and i wont ever work for a newly opened salon again. basically not enough business to keep me occupied and she told some pretty bad lie's to me. now i understand why most of you guys work alone until you HAVE enough business to hire a bather...i mean...she was grooming out of her house for 3 yrs...but who opens a new business, then 2 wks later hires a bather? it slowed down ALOT after those first 2 wks...it was semi good then it got really slow...then never seemed to pick up after that. she was always complaining about money, about how she couldnt pay me more etc etc...
                              whatever.
                              Good luck with your bather and hopefully they will want to learn more!
                              Hound
                              I would NEVER treat someone like that. That is not in my character and it wont keep a bather around---that would really stress me out!

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Working...
                              X