They don't have a clue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They don't have a clue

Well I placed an ad for a partime groomer with experience in the paper and got a couple of good candidates. Also got some dooozsys. Well I like animals, I have a dog, but the best was, I had a couple of poodles that I used to groom myself how hard can it be to learn. AAAAAHHHHH.They don't have a clue. I was nice, I said if I needed a bather I would keep them in mind. The one that was red flags was a fella that said he did kennel work a few years back at the very place I run my business out of. I double checked with the manager in case I had missed something. No one by that name ever worked here. Big liar. Big problem. But not here.

You are sooooo right. They just think all we do is play with dogs all day long and brush a little. If it were that easy I could sure do a lot more dogs in one day, and send home well groomed dogs.

Good luck in your search for a part time groomer.
    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
    Diane

Comment

I had a standard today, all hand scissored, young male with tons of energy (more than I had for a friday). It took me 3.5 hours, I'd like them to try that and say how hard can it be.

anyway, you could always post a position on this website.

Comment

Even members of my own family think that way! I've had my dad tell me many times that I should be doing "at least" 15 dogs a day. Ugh it makes me so mad!!

Comment

I too have run an ad recently for an EXPERIENCED groomer to receive call for those that are not experienced. I had a gentleman tell me "he has had dogs since he was 15 yrs. old and knows all there is to know about dogs". You're right the other response is usually, "well I do my own dogs". I should break down and tell them to come in for an interview, bring their equipment and give them a dog to do and watch them just stare at it with that what am I supposed to do now look!!! I love my job but it's not for everyone.

My new bather tells all the barking dogs to be quite, I tell her they aren't going to so just save your breath and sanity. Most will quite down after a few minutes. I think a test should be putting an applicant in a room with a non-stop barking for 10-15 mins and see if they are still sane with they emerge. Good luck on your hiring!!

Comment

We've had a ton of people walk-in looking for a job. Some of them are former beauticians, so they think they could do this job too. Everyone else says that they love animals, and are SURE they could learn this really quickly. "Oh it must be SO much fun", they say. I tell them we would require certification from a grooming school or 7 years experience as a professional groomer... then they look at me like I have 3 eyeballs.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken View Post
              We've had a ton of people walk-in looking for a job. Some of them are former beauticians, so they think they could do this job too. Everyone else says that they love animals, and are SURE they could learn this really quickly. "Oh it must be SO much fun", they say. I tell them we would require certification from a grooming school or 7 years experience as a professional groomer... then they look at me like I have 3 eyeballs.
              3 eyeballs! rofl that was a good one!

Comment

Last year when I placed an add, I had a girl call me to say she can groom dogs as long as she doesnt have to use clippers! She said she was too nervous to use them! What!?

Comment

yep, when i had my shop in jersey i had some doozies too. and of course the usual i love dogs....i groom my own dogs all the time...i said really...what kind of dogs do you have? a dalmation and a pug.......ooohhh, you did see that the ad was looking for a groomer right? someone with scissoring exp. to give dogs haircuts? ....oh yeah, well i cut my sisters hair too! alrighty then.....then i get this guy in.....now no offense to anyone that may be living in this present situation,but....he walks in...he looked and smelled like he had been sleeping under a bridge for a week( now don't get mad a me....i did give a homeless girl in NYC the coat off my back one chilly Jan...then someone told me i was stupid. she would just sell it for drug money) anyway where was i.........he tells me he has tons of experience working in a local kennel.....ok are you familiar with all breeds?....yes.....how long have you been grooming? 10 years....can I call your former employer for a ref? well he says, you can but they won't give me a good reference.....why not? because they were all jealous of me because i was so much better then they were, so they all got together and said i was sexually harrassing them, and then i got fired...but i didn't do anything...ok well give me you phone # and i will speak with your former employer and i will get back to you...well, i don't have a phone....ok well then give me your address.....i don't have an address.....how bout if i just stop back in a few days.....ok fine....

Comment

Originally posted by goldiphlox View Post
                    i did give a homeless girl in NYC the coat off my back one chilly Jan...then someone told me i was stupid. she would just sell it for drug money)
                    You weren't stupid. You went to bed that night with a clear conscience. SHE might sell the coat for drugs, but YOU will probably never have a cold night like that in your life. Do unto others...

Tammy in Utah
                    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Working...
                    X