Has Anyone asked you to do a last groom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Anyone asked you to do a last groom

A man who's dog we've been grooming for the last 6 years made an appt. for his dog to come in yesterday. Actually, i won't groom the dog because it is extremely nasty. a little shihtzu from he!! Anyway, he calls at 8 am and says he can't make it because the dog is sick and he needs to bring her to the vet. He says he'll call back. Well I come in to work today and I see the dog scheduled for 9am....The owner left for vacation last night. So I decide to call him and tell him he will have to reschedule for Tuesday when the owner gets back....The wife answers the phone. I explain the situation. Tell her it's really best for the owner to groom her, because that is who she is used to...the lady starts balling her eyes out...I feel terrible... then she says, they can't have the dog groomed on Tuesday, because that is when she is being put to sleep!! What?!? She says the dog is extremely ill. she may not even make it till tuesday, she has kidney failure. she says she can't even get up... and she says she's ooozing some kind of fluid(her words)....So i say as sympathetically as i can that she just needs to stay home and you need to just keep her comfortable... the last thing she needs is to come in to the shop for grooming, especially with how it stresses her out...she says she knows but her husband wants her to be pretty on her last day! well i had to tell her that i was very sorry but considering the circumstances i would not groom her. some people just have no common sense.

That's just nuts. If the dog hates to be groomed then the last thing it should have to deal with in its current condition is grooming. If it smells bad due to the leaking of "fluids" they should clean it with a warm wet towel and let it be. People can be kind of thoughtless.

Comment

OMG, you did the right thing.

Comment

Maybe, if you're feeling sympathetic, you can call the wife back and tell her that she can bring the dog in for a 'freshening up', and she has to wait there for the dog. If the dog is in good shape, you could just 'fluff' her up a bit with the brush, spray some foo-foo on her and give her a pretty bow. Then you've met them halfway, without stressing out either you or the dog.

Comment

Yes, I had an Aussie that I'd groomed for 10 years. The owner was going to put her down due to cancer. It was a heartbreaker. She loved to be groomed, and was a pleasure to have around. It was a sad day. But I was glad to have one last chance to see her.

I think that you did the right thing. Especially considering the fact that grooming was sooo not his favorite thing. You handled wonderfully...
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Annette, who's very graciously allowed to live with the dogs.

Comment

Right decision

I think you made the right choice on this one. That poor miserable little thing didn't need to be groomed if she was that sick. That would be like us in the hospital, tubes everywhere, feeling lousy and then have someone say oh I'm going to give you a perm. I don't think so.

Comment

You did the right thing. Some people just don't understand how stressful grooming is to their dogs, especially if the dog doesn't like it in the first place.

Maybe the owner should just brush the dog and freshen it up on the day they take him in to be put to sleep.
              "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
              Diane

Comment

I did an old collie mix that was going to be put down later that day for cancer. The dog was real good, couldn't stand too good, so we just layed him down on a towel on the floor and brushed him and trimmed up his feet and what I could with him laying on his side. It was sad.
                But the dog was good and didnt mind being groomed..in your case..heck no I wouldnt do the dog. And if I knew my dog didn't like being groomed, that would be the last thing I would have him do in his last days.

Comment

Those situations are so delicate. I think you did the right thing too. If fluids are leaking I wouldn't be grooming it. I was asked awhile back to groom a client's dog after it was put down. I started a thread about it asking advice. I ended up doing it and it wasn't as bad as I thought. But these were long time clients and neighbors. Kind of like family. There was some leaking fluid with this dog, but only becuase he was deceased. I wouldn't have done it for just anybody though.

Comment

I would consider the freshen up suggestion. Brush her out a bit, clean her ears and spritz her with a nice scent and then add a nice pair of bows or a cute bandanna around her. I have done that before, and the owners are happy and the dog is happier because it takes little time.

Comment

Agree with misskitty and can u top this?

I like misskittys idea. I would not want to put a dying dog that has a history of hating groomings through the ordeal.

However I have groomed dead dogs. Had a few people bring them in to be groomed for the "showing" before being buried. Mind you they had purchased urns and in one case a casket for $400 (+/- ?)

Comment

OMG!

Originally posted by Dexy View Post
                        I like misskittys idea. I would not want to put a dying dog that has a history of hating groomings through the ordeal.

However I have groomed dead dogs. Had a few people bring them in to be groomed for the "showing" before being buried. Mind you they had purchased urns and in one case a casket for $400 (+/- ?)
                        I have never groomed a dead dog. I wouldn't either.....but as long as it doesn't bother you, i guess it wouldn't be that hard, at least they can't fight or bite...as far as misskittys suggestion, i would have offered that, but the thing is....this dog can't be brushed....at all! she goes ballistic. when she is groomed she gets shaved short a/o so as not to brush her...and she is horrible for that too, just not as horrible as if you try to brush her....and the thing is she was just done a month ago....and a #7 a/o...so how bad can she be.....no i think she deserves to be left alone...

Comment

I also think you did the right thing since the dog hates to be groomed. Like others mentioned, if she was one who enjoyed the process you might have done her but why stress the poor thing even more.

Have you ever done a post-mortum groom? If you have the stomach for it maybe you could call and suggest that if they are wanting her groomed before they bury her. I did it once also, and it wasn't bad at all.
                          SheilaB from SC

Comment

Dexy I have groomed a lot of dead dogs for viewings. You are not alone.

Comment

I think that you did the right thing. I would not even offer a "refresher" like some have suggested, simply because if the dog is in that bad of shape, whose to say that the stress of the groom wouldn't do the dog in? I mean, if she hated it when she was well, how is she going to tolerate it now so ill, even just a bath and brush. Nope, not for me, I for one think that you did the right thing. The poor dog should just be able to go in peace.

I think that sheila had a good suggestion of grooming the dog post-mortum, though to be honest, I could never do that.
                              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Working...
                              X