Steps vs Ramp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steps vs Ramp

I need to get something to lift the big dogs in my tub to help my back. I have three options. Steps solid, ramp, or steps with space between each rung. Which do you have? Have you ever tried a particular one that you do like and a particular one that you didn't like? Can you explain why?

Thanks!

No Ladders!

I bought the 3 step "stairs" with the space in between and am trying to figure out how to put fabric or something behind because ALL of the dogs are afraid to climb them! I really think it has something to do with them being open and see-through. If you've ever tried to push a 130 lb dog up a ladder...buy the ramp!!!

Comment

How do you get a dog to use a ramp? First, they must want to use the ramp LOL Good luck. Pancake dogs just lie on the floor and don't even remember that they have legs.

Comment

hydrolic table

Go to harbor freight or northen tool and get a 100.00 hydrolic table.
        Worth it.

If you do put in a ramp make it homemade, and make it longer and wider.
        LIke two by ten at least.
        Most are way to steep for a fearful dog, or one with bad hips.

Comment

I can tell you the truth on both!!! I own a DIY and we recently totally renovated it. In the old DIY we had ramps and had to force dogs up them, push their butts, get up and pull them up, you name it. NOW, in our new DIY I had steps built and WHAT A DIFFERENCE, it is much easier. I had the new steps built out of wood and they are solid, if your hubby is slightly handy he can build them. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy the premade steps frame, all he has to do is cut 1x4 to fit and nail.

Comment

I have the see through steps as well...about a third of the dogs I have will use them, some that absolutly refuse, but most of them try to squeeze through the space between the steps like its a good place to hide or something...if I could I'd get a ramp or solid steps.

Comment

I used the Edemco steps (throw towels over so they can't see through) for a couple of years before getting a tub with a ramp. Ramp works much better. My table goes down really low so that's not a problem. I also only do large dogs when my bather is around to help me!

Comment

To view my steps go to www.fauxpawsgrooming.com and click on the DIY link.

Comment

My father-in-law built me a set of steps out of wood, covered in that indoor outdoor carpet.

I would DIE without them! Well, it feels that way anyhoo, lol.

It's 3 steps and the carpet is comfortable, they can't see through them, they for the most part just walk right up. I have a few that refuse, but they are difficult regardless, lol.

Get yourself some steps. You can NOT keep lifting dogs and continue grooming for a long time. It is much much too hard on your body.

Tammy in Utah
                  Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I have the ramp, and am not crazy about it. Some dogs DO NOT want to go up it. Like someone else said, it's too narrow and too steep. I've gotten all the dogs I needed to up it, but let me tell you I don't know if I'm really saving any energy by using the ramp, and I'm sure not saving any time! There's been dogs that I've literally had to pick up each foot one at a time, and move it 2 inches forward, all the while keeping upward pressure/pull on the leash to keep them from sucking the foot I just moved further down the ramp and back onto the floor. It's slow, but at least I wasn't picking them up I suppose. I'd either get one of those tubs that have the ramp built in, because then it's only a small hop into the tub, vs. having to go up and over the edge of the tub. Or, I'd get the stairs that people are talking about that they can't see through.

Gracy Rose, did you get the No Fur No Paws No Service from me?? Or am I wrong that I made that up, lol. And I thought I actually had a creative thought for once, lol.
                    Erin
                    No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

Yes, I "Gleaned" that from you :-) Do you get royalties (lol)?

Comment

My steps look a lot like Gracy Rose's except mine have 3 large steps, rather than 4 smaller ones.

I think either would be good. (larger or smaller steps).

Tammy in Utah
                        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I have the 3 step stairs and dogs look at them like it's a punishment. they do try to go through the spaces instead of going all the way up. I will try to throw a towel over them as someone said, so they can't see in between. good idea

Comment

My best steps are old milk crates that I zip tied together. Put indoor outdoor carpet on the steps and the bottom. I use 3 crates total. 1 crate is the first step and 2 stacked on top of each other is the 2nd. I just made another one with 3 steps total which takes 6 crates. Some of our tubs are taller than others. The carpet keeps them from sliding on the floor. I carpeted the tops of them as well and the dogs from not freaking out when going up them. Easy to clean just brush the carpet with a slicker and hose the steps off if needed.

Comment

id do SOLID steps. if you have the steps with the spaces between them...well most dogs dont like to go up them, and if you lift their front feet they always manage to fall through the space! now if its a solid step they will more than likely look at it like OH ITS STAIRS! JUST LIKE AT MY HOUSE! hehehe! i can go up these just fine! most dogs im sure have NO PROBLEM with steps/stairs that look FAMILAIR to them. most dogs dont know what a ramp is OR the stairs with holes in between...i mean honestly how many people have stairs that have spaces between them in their houses?
                              JMO
                              Hound

Comment

Working...
                              X