Bearded Collies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearded Collies

I'm going to groom my first bearded collie in a show coat. Actually, two of them. I've never groomed this breed. For the people that groom bearded collies, how long should I set aside for this groom??????? I've seen pictures they are show dogs and have perfect coats (no tangles even), and get groomed every 2 weeks. Any advice or help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Well, if they're brushed daily, it shouldn't take long at all...their hair drys pretty fast, but the hv can knot it up if you aren't careful. Most of the ones I see are matted and take longer.

Comment

If well maintained, I would expect it to take 1.5 to 2 hours for both. Unfortunately, I've never had one that was well maintained. If it hasn't been properly groomed in more than a month expect to spend a lot more time.

Comment

I do 2 every 3 weeks it takes me 2 hours they are both in show coats, The hair dries easily and mats come out easy too!! I never Hv them (anymore)as that knotted them up and no heavy conditioning, makes the coat ( the ones I do) sorta greasy like and very heavy,and flat looking , coat should look flowey and neat, I do sani and pads and a very slight roundness on the feet, thinners by the eyes if overgrown there. The ones I do are no longer show dogs, retired , and this is how my client likes hers, just ask...You will love these guys! I sure do!

Comment

usually very nice dogs

but almost always matted. They can be brushed out, but it can take awhile. So allow for extra brush time, otherwise easy bath and dry.
          Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

I used to groom my former boss's show Beardie- don't trim anything without asking first! The hair on the face, around the eyes is left natural. Pads, minimal sanitary, and rounded feet was all I did. Used to take me about two hours all in all to do her- stretch dried with a Speedy stand dryer. The beardies I have groomed have all been well-behaved for grooming.

Comment

We have two that are actually at work right now. We do them a few times a year. They can't handle much demat especially the younger one, so we usually just bathe, and let air dry (even air drying they dry very quickly) and then shave the belly, feet, and rear, and round the feet. I really don't know if sensitive skin is a normal thing for the breed, or just two, but we have to use a five on the belly and butt (I would normally use a ten) because they get clipper irritation very easily.
              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

beardies

We have 3 at my work that usually come in fairly regular. They compete in breed and herding trials, so usually they take longer to brush out than anything. In our area, rounding the foot is looked down on. A few years ago, it was perfectly fine. So we always ask if they know the judges preference before we do anything. Since they are working dogs, the judges allow for a little imperfection in coat. It's really hard to keep a Beardie from matting when they run the farm and herd sheep/ and I think geese all day.

Comment

Thanks all, one is retired. One is still competing, noooo way will I get near him w/clippers..she'd kill me. The retired one is in a long type of teddybear clip, about 2 inches long.

Comment

Hi. What do u mean by hv them? I have a new client that had two bearded collie. She wants to show one. What type of shampoo conditioner or any product do u use on ur show bearded. Also what do I do for trimming under the tail for shoaing

Comment

Originally posted by Bgolden86 View Post
                      Hi. What do u mean by hv them? I have a new client that had two bearded collie. She wants to show one. What type of shampoo conditioner or any product do u use on ur show bearded. Also what do I do for trimming under the tail for shoaing
                      This is an old thread so you may not get answer back. I can tell you the HV means High Velocity dryer. You can start a new thread and ask what shampoo conditioners we like for the breed and you will get answers. I think you press the New Thread button and fill it out. I personally use Quadruped all in one shampoo conditioner on them.

Comment

Working...
                      X