Question for every groomer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for every groomer

I was wondering where all off you start the skirt on Scotties.

I start mine at the shoulders and go back with that line blending. It's I was taught to do it.

I saw a Scottie being groomed the other day. Personally I thought it looked like ****, and was groomed wrong. But without knowing how the owner wanted it I'm not going to say anything.. I wish I had a camera on me.

The eyebrows were completely gone and there was no hair on the ears at all. The beard was left long. The back was shaved with a #7 it looked like and the skirt started about 3 inches away from the spine on either side. Way up high on the back. It wasn't even close to being even. It looked like a flag waving in the wind.

So I can't say that dog was done wrong because the owners may have wanted it to look like that. And I only know how I was taught to do a Scottie. Maybe starting the skirt down low like that is wrong. Although all the pics I've seen have had the skirts right where I start them. I know it's different on show dogs.
    Becky

Mine are not a straight line. The shoulders are lower to expose the shoulder and the skirt is a tad higher and thinned down to blend. My line at the rear is at the bottom of the rectum. I hope that made sense.

Comment

it sounds like you are doing it correctly. obviously, the groom you saw was incorrect. maybe the owners didn't want brows. who knows. but i see alot of scotties with the line up too high. i like to use a 5f on the back. this is my preference. of course, if they want it shorter, i'll use a 7f. the back is clipped to about an inch above the elbows, then blended.alot of scotties are also cut too high at the thigh. you should see the thigh muscle exposed, so 5f down the thigh alittle more then the skirt area and blend, if you know what i mean. brows should be 1/2 the length of the muzzle. of course this could be owner preference.where i work now the owner used to breed and show scotties, so we get lots of them.

Comment

See If You Can Find Barney, the first dog

Try googleing Barney Bush, the first dog. I think he ansd ms beasley are done nicely. also Melissa Ver Planks Notes from the grooming table will show very good drawing and description of a correct scottie trim. Scottie tails on you tube has two scotties, not done correctly, but barney bush is in one video.The Barney Cam is only on a video at Christmas, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Raggs View Post
          I know it's different on show dogs.

It's absolutely NO different on show dogs- the pattern should be identical, even if you're using clippers instead of hand stripping. The show ring is where our patterns originate- unless an owner requests it to be done differently, I do a breed standard groom.

Comment

That sounds like the way they taught us to do the body/skirt in grooming school right before Melissa's book came out. The pattern line they drew was a straight line from the breastbone to the rear and they still do it that way at the salon I just left and it doesn't blend well at all and looks like a hula skirt.

The eyebrows were probably owner preference or a boo-boo and the ears are often mistakenly shaved all the way.

Comment

Scotties

Yes, if you look at Melissa Verplank's book the Scotty (and other Terriers) and Cocker haircuts are different than in the older books. Also, the NDGAA guidelines follow Melissa's work. Grooming trends change so it's a good idea to keep up on them. A good example is the Bichon. It was cut very differently when I went to Nash in the 80s.

Comment

wish you had a picture

Originally posted by goldiphlox View Post
                it sounds like you are doing it correctly. obviously, the groom you saw was incorrect. maybe the owners didn't want brows. who knows. but i see alot of scotties with the line up too high. i like to use a 5f on the back. this is my preference. of course, if they want it shorter, i'll use a 7f. the back is clipped to about an inch above the elbows, then blended.alot of scotties are also cut too high at the thigh. you should see the thigh muscle exposed, so 5f down the thigh alittle more then the skirt area and blend, if you know what i mean. brows should be 1/2 the length of the muzzle. of course this could be owner preference.where i work now the owner used to breed and show scotties, so we get lots of them.
                Man I wish you had a picture. My mother in law has a scottie who has had the same groomer for years she wont even let me groom him for free and that women always does the skirt to high and I dont think she knows the definition of the word "blend" I've been trying to tell my MIL what a scottie is supposed to look like but all the pictures I have ar eto far away from the dog to really show her the skirt if you have a pic I'd love to see it

Comment

I wish I had a pic. I didn't have a camera on me. I was taking my dad's puppies in to the vet to get their dew claws removed and I saw the dog being groomed. I so wish I had a camera on me.
                  Becky

Comment

Here's two pics........

of one of mine, and one of a lovely girl at the last show I attended. I intentionally did an overload on the 'fill-flash' on my photo program on my pic, so you can see where the furnishings are. Unfortunately, the dog at the show was sitting for her pic, but the pattern is the same down to the lovely long eyebrows.lol
                    Attached Files

Comment

While I do mine like Groominator does, I think it depends on the structure of that particular dog. Some dogs need the skirt a little lower while others need it a little higher, though I think the one you described was a little high.

Tammy in Utah
                      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Same as Goldiflox for me. Unless the client wants something else, the terriers are one group of dogs that should look exactly like the show dogs-only difference is the technique used. Clipping vs hand stripping. Outline of the dog is the same.
                        Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X