Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ST. Poodle went awesome, I LOVED HIM!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ST. Poodle went awesome, I LOVED HIM!!!!!!!!!

The owner comes in, and the poodle General was messy, NO matting, but very uneven ect. These owners took a course on grooming a poodle, and they do it themselves, but have him done twice a year in a salon to "clean up" their work. ANYHOW, I did him with a 4f all over, and they didn't want poodle feet, but a topknow and shaven face. No pom on his tail, as he catches burrs in the woods. All in All, a nice fairly easy trim on my first St. Poodle. He turned out great, the owner was SO SO SO happy with him, and he was a wicked NICE/AWSOME doggie to work with. WOW, it went sooooooooo good. LOL. By the time I subract distractions, doddling, and equiptment failure, and the xtra GOOD bath I gave him, it probably took me 2.5hrs of hands on. Is that good or am I a turtle???

Vicki

Sounds really reasonable to me, especially since it was your first standard, and it's not on a 4-6 week schedule (at least not with your handiwork).

Hopefully they'll like your work so well that they'll just start bringing the pooch back all the time for trims!

Comment

LOL - you're not a turtle. You're the rabbit compared to me. I spent six hours on the standard that I groom the Friday before Christmas. His face is in my avatar. This was my second full trim on him and it takes me awhile. The standard poodle was my Mount Everest of grooming and I'm slowly conquering it.

Comment

See, Vicki, all that worry for nothing. Good job! I don't think 2.5 hrs is bad for your first time. I always spend more time on a new dog -just feeling him out and getting to know his likes and dislikes. The power of your dryer makes a big time dif too.
        Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

2.5 is great for your first one. My first one took forever!!! I don't even know how long. If you get the guy to come in instead of doing it himself, you can probably get him done in 1.5 since there arent any pft or poms. But for a dirty guy that's really good!

Comment

Wow I think that is a great time for your first standard. And if the owners were happy you did great. Pat yourself on the back. I remember my first standard out of school. I was sick to my stomach because the owners were very direct in their instructions. But all went well and now he comes every 6 weeks
            "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
            Nancy

Comment

Good job, the timing on that wasn't bad at all especially for the first time standard. Not everyone is up to even attempting standard poodles so yay for you!!

Hopefully they will like you good enough to come back a few more times than he normally has been going.

Comment

Sounds about right for your first standard. Or your second, or third, or heck, just about any of them. There's just sooooo much dog to do.

Comment

We used to joke in grooming school about charging ungodly amounts of money for Standards as a deterrent cause it's such a big job.

I love grooming them now but they scared the **** out of all of us students. Great job on the time!!

Comment

I think you did it in record time. No turtle with you! Hopefully they will like the job you did on him and decide it is easier having you do him and you have a new client. Way to go girl!!!
                    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                    Diane

Comment

Good job!

I loooove the #4 blade on a standard poodle, it's the perfect length. Sounds like a great job. Did you get the hair blown pretty straight? Just wondering, because I LOOOOVE clipping them when their hair is straight, you can see the perfect clipper path going along the dog as you clip, and it's easy to glide through that hair. Good for you! 2.5 is not long for your first standard. Thank goodness no clean feet. Yuck, I STILL don't like doing them.

Tammy in Utah
                      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

2.5 hrs is good time for getting a standard done, especially being the first time you've done him.Pat yourself on the back!

Comment

THANKS!!

Thanks for all the positive replies. I don't forsee this guy coming on a regular basis, but between us, he has never been happy with a groomer(he's tried others), and he said General looked BEAUTIFUL and asked me for some cards so he can refer me to people!!! I'm happy about it all.....and I just LOVED grooming him!!!!!!

Tammy, I got him pretty dang straight.........I was going to pre clip, but my blade was having a tuff time getting through all that thick dirty coat, so I bathed him and my blade cut like it was going through butter.

Vicki

Comment

What is the best way to get the hair really straight?
                            If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Lisa, how I did it was using my Master Blaster right on the skin.....I use MDC Romani's force air drying techniques. Any spot that was harder to straighten, I used my slicker and fluff dried it with the dryer and slicker. Hope that makes sense.

Vicki

Comment

Working...
                              X