Food Recall - Now What??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food Recall - Now What??

For those of you who have found your pet's food on the recall list, as I just did on Friday, what (if anything) have you done to insure your pet's safety? I am going to phone my vet tomorrow to see what he says. Do I need to have liver and kidney checks?? All 3 cockers are healthy and happy right now. The reasonable part of me says not to worry-they've been eating this food for 2 years, but the worry-wart in me wants to be re-assured. The Royal Canin Co. does say on their web site that they will pay for any testing. What do you all think???
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

I say get the testing.
    Erin
    No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

I would definitely take your pets in to the vet's office and have a complete blood proflie ran on each of them. And find out how to get the food company to pay for the testing.
      Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

Pet Food Recall

I sent you a private message on 4/28, the problem is that most pet food companies use less than human grade ingredients and most are multi-national corporations, meaning whats left over that is not fit for human consumption goes into the pet food, they don't have our pets best interests in mind. Pet food is not their primary focus, did you know that master foods owns mars which consumed royal canin, colgate palmolive makes science diet and the list go's on. If you would like to take action and educate your clients and join our mission. call our toll free # 877-210-3198 and leave a message and I'll call you http://www.healthypetfoodforlife.com
        Originally posted by KarlaSnyder View Post
        For those of you who have found your pet's food on the recall list, as I just did on Friday, what (if anything) have you done to insure your pet's safety? I am going to phone my vet tomorrow to see what he says. Do I need to have liver and kidney checks?? All 3 cockers are healthy and happy right now. The reasonable part of me says not to worry-they've been eating this food for 2 years, but the worry-wart in me wants to be re-assured. The Royal Canin Co. does say on their web site that they will pay for any testing. What do you all think???
        Last edited by jeffandsandy; 05-01-07, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Hey Karla,

I personally would take my dog for the test. Our vets are recommending a Urine and Cretine? (spelling) test. They also suggest an exam but understand that for people especially in multidog households that all gets expensive so if dogs have no symptoms they are letting a tech take the blood and taking in the urine and not forcing the exam. Id call your vet and see what their policy is on the matter.

Also. I dont know which food you are using but I would definitely call and see if they will pay for the test. I know that Science diet is paying $100 towards any tests that any pet who was on their recalled food needs. (not sure if they need a drs referal with that) I would think the other big reputable companies would do the same but who knows. Doesn't hurt to ask. Especially when you are talking 3 dogs!

Comment

check out heathypetnet.com....fantastic food!! and gee, nothing imported either!

Comment

personally i'd try and find a food that didnt have meal as the first ingredient. you'd really want to try a premium food that has Chicken or turkey listed first...THEN maybe a meal ingredient.
              JMO
              Hound

Comment

Thanks for the response, guys! I called Royal Canin on Monday, and they have a form that they fax to the vets. Then, they'll re-inburse the vet for the tests. Then I phoned my vet. They didn't have the form, but I gave the receptionist the 800 # to get it. Wil call back tomorrow. Cost will be about 100 per dog. If I don't have any out of pocket expense, I'll go for the testing. After income taxes and a huge property tax bill, I really don't want to drain my bank acct.

We're now eating Calif. Natural.

Oh, my vet's leave the testing up to the owners-they don't reccomend it per se, just a precaution for those who might be worried.
                Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

yeah california natural is a good food...they are the same company that makes the innova and the innova evo also.
                  go for the tests and let us know what comes out of it.
                  Hound

Comment

I'm working in a vet office now, and Hill's is covering cost for blood work. We sell their food exclusively, and they had problems with one of their canned lines. See if perhaps your food manufacturer is doing anything to back up their product.

Comment

Working...
                    X