Help balancing life/work!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help balancing life/work!!

I'm having such a hard time trying to find a healthy balance between trying to grow my business, and still having time/energy for a 7 mo old, housekeeping, hubby, and fun.

With the nice weather coming, I get spring fever and die to be outside, especially since it's the baby's first spring and I want to enjoy it with her. How do you guys do it? I know some of you only work certain days, but I do still want my business to grow, cause I'd like to someday own the shop but only work 1-2 days doing my regulars and have staff do the rest. Am I wishing for the impossible to try and have both?
    Erin
    No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

No, you are not wishing for too much. You goal is ABSOLUTELY possible.

Now realize it is harder with a HIGH MAINTENANCE child like a 7mo old baby. But, they won't always be that little so enjoy it while you can.

Set your boundaries and STICK to them:
    Work 5 days, 4 grooming and 1 networking.

Comment

unpleasant truths

Erin, unfortunately owning your own business is a 24/7 job. Or pretty close. As with anything in life, if you want something to succeed, you have to work your butt off.

You will find a balance sooner or later. You will just have to get a maid.

Jason

Comment

thats a tough call, but at least you have your husband , who should be helping with the house AND your other chores! Im a single mom, and its tough tough! I own my salon and work mon-fri. Theres times when shes sick and I can't stay home, theres field trips, I can't go. The school plays I missed too. But, shes in high school now and is the marching band. I run every Sat with her when they are competing. So, you just have to prioritize. Whats the most important and go from there. Make a list if you need to. list the things you need to get done for the week, and block certain times with your daughter. Its not really the quanity of time, but the quality. Make your time count! don't feel guilty about making a living. Its not our choice.

Comment

I was going to say, good luck with that.....but I like Gracy's response better (much more positive) so I think you should go with that...

Comment

I would definitely get a housekeeper.

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't think you can have it all. I am kind of in the same boat as you, we were thinking of having another baby this year. But I just opened my shop few weeks ago, we probably gonna postpone the baby plan next year.

Comment

How much you can accomplish in a given amount of time depends on your energy level, which is different for everyone. For example, I can do a sink full of dishes, clean off the counters and tidy the kitchen in a snap...for my husband it's a lengthy affair, lol. My 'high energy' time of day is morning -- my husband doesn't come into his energy peak until evening. After a long day, it's better to have him cook the supper.

If you're on a budget, the idea of having a once a week cleaning person or babysitter (if you prefer to clean) seems silly, but my sister did it. She felt that a clean house was necessary to her mental health, she had two kids and worked full time. While another person might have used $50/week to go out to dinner, she chose to hire a cleaning person instead. As for myself, I didn't have $50/week to play with....so I had to lower my standards (lol)...my house just isn't as tidy as hers. Check out the flylady website, she has some fun ideas about housekeeping. Also, put your baby first, you'll have many years to develop your business, she'll be grown in a wink of the eye. You most certainly can "have it all", just maybe not all at once.

Comment

Combining everything already said, make a list, set priorities, set boundries, and be firm with yourself about sticking to them.

If you're going to "do it all", you gotta get organized in a big way. That might mean getting a day planner book and setting appointments for yourself. Schedule baby time as much as possible. Schedule family nights. Schedule a personal time that's just for you. Make housecleaning appointments in your book. And make yourself stick to them.

Set up a coffee can, and fine yourself five bucks if you miss your appointment. Use the money you collect to have a night out, buy something you don't need, but you want, or take a weekend vacation. Or use it to hire a housekeeper one day a week.

Once you get yourself organized, and you're sticking to your lists, take one day a month, chuck the lists, chuck the appointment book, and break your own rules. But only one day a month, lest it becomes a habit, and you find
                  yourself descending into chaos.

Take care of yourself, too. Eat right. Get enough sleep (hard with a baby, I know), schedule a little down time every day. Read a book, take a walk, go to church. Sing.

When your frustrated, take 5 minutes, go outside, and squeeze an egg (make sure it isn't cracked). If, after 5 minutes of squeezing that egg, you haven't broken it (it's harder than you think) and you're still frustrated, you get to throw it at a tree.

Comment

Go mobile

I know this may sound crazy but I would be thinking mobile grooming at some point. That is the only way you will have any flexibility in your life. A shop is a 24/7/365 responsibility. On top of that you have the paperwork, employees, whatever else......It's almost too much! I don't know if I would be able to sleep at night. I'd be worrying about everything.

With mobile, you CAN do it all. Plan your schedule around your family and children. You CAN be at the school plays, stay home if you have a sick child, plan a vacation and so on. Plus, you have so much more control of your business. It's much more simple because it's just you and the van.

So much less aggravation and stress. You can make a very nice living and you can groom the dogs of your choice. I'm sure if you ever go mobile the majority of your customers would follow you. It would be easy for you to transition.

Right now, if I were you and I could afford to, I would hire someone to clean my house every 2 weeks. They can do all the heavy duty work- vacuum, dust, bathrooms, kitchen. Ask them to change the sheets and give them an extra chore that needs to be done such as cleaning out the fridge or windexing the windows. This is what I do. It's SO worth it! There still will be plenty for you to do since you have a new baby. But at least all the big chores will be done so you'd be free to spend more time with hubby and baby Aurora.

This is the advice I would give my own daughter. :0)
                    www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                    http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Market heavily to the bath-only dogs so that your bather, who is probably on an hourly wage (what DID you decide about that?) can make money for you, and you can have more time.

Use the FURminator if you haven't already started, as a way to get 'em in! Market market market, use ADD-ONS to get a few extra dollars while giving the owners comfort that Fluffy is getting some royal treatment. The way to success is to have more money without killing yourself, and these are among the many ways to do it.

Tammy in Utah
                      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I'm paying her $9/hr, but told her as she learns more and takes on more responsibility I'm happy to pay her more. Jarbas Godoy pays his bathers $20/hr!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe that, but he said they do everything, schmooze the clients, bathe, trim paws and I think light body trimming too, not sure. That'd be nice to offer her that, but for now it's just moving up to being a bather without me having to check her grooms, then it'll be bathing manager.

Do you really think the furminator is all it's cracked up to be? I have the tool and use it, but not sure if it's worth it to get the whole shampoo and everything.
                        Erin
                        No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

Combine what everybody has said (Helly is always so sensible and practical). Remember there are only so many hours in a day, and you can only get so much done in those hours. Prioritize what's important. If you in the position of being able to set certain days/hours to work, go for it. You can still grow your business, but maybe at slower/steadier pace. There's nothing wrong with that. If you have good, reliable, trustworthy staff, you are 2 steps ahead of the game, as good staff is very hard to find. I don't have kids (except for furbabies), but your baby is going to be a baby only once, and you don't want to miss that. It's tough, but not impossible.

Comment

REMEMBER the saying... "If you want something done, ask a busy person".

Comment

Originally posted by ejmj30 View Post
                              Do you really think the furminator is all it's cracked up to be? I have the tool and use it, but not sure if it's worth it to get the whole shampoo and everything.
                              I asked that SAME question. I did. And then I got one, and then I had a couple of clients whom I told about it and they bring their dogs in REGULARLY. 4 clients swear by it, and theyr'e the ones that ASKED for "help!" with shedding. One of them has 2 bassett hounds, and he brought them to me, told me they were dirty and shedding. I groomed them and he called a month later and wanted in again. He called again a month later and wanted in...and then he called again...LOL. So now he's a monthly client. I also have a sharpei beagle mix that is regular (or was when they were boarding but I think they've realized that they have to PREBOOK to get in, lol. Then there are a couple of labradors. Yep, they all swear it works. Oh, and Dr. K with her Anatolian shepherd----she told Dr. E (the owner of the 2 hospitals) about it and when he asked if it worked she said, "There was hair EVERYWHERE up in a cloud of smoke!"

So in answer to your question: YES!

If you're not comfortable charging a lot, then charge what YOU would feel it was worth if it were your dog. I include it in the price, some people add it on. But it's something to think about.

Tammy in Utah
                              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Working...
                              X