I Groomed A Wolf Today!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Groomed A Wolf Today!!

Wow! this was my first Wolf Hybrid and what a handsome guy he was! Beautiful coat...he was 75% Wolf, 25% Malamute.. so I was told. Had grey and brown eyes, but man he was a biggy with a coat that would put some in Westminster to shame! He was a nice boy, lil panicky about the bath. He was a year old, about 90lbs not neutered either. That made me a bit nervous, but while drying he tried to get in my lap! I was drying him on the floor, where he was more secure! wish I could post pics I would've taken some of him..anyone else ever groom these before? I made sure my face wasn't in the line of fire just in case!!!! I've been told they can be very unpredictable.

We did one a long time ago, but he looked more husky than wolf, though I know he did have at least some wolf in him. He was rather nervous, probably because I was already nervous around him though, lol. I don't think that I would do one now if someone called and asked. I am sure it could be fine, I just don't trust them.

A little off of that topic, but I wonder how it is owning one. I bet it affects your homeowners insurance, not to mention what about neighborhood assoiations...plus trying to find vet, and kennel care, etc. Plus the stigma attached. It seems to be the same way with pit bulls too!
    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Nope. Won't do it. I had to attend a seminar conducted by the Indiana Wolf Park when I was a vet tech. We all came to the same conclusion. Too dangerous, too much liability. Just the pictures of what these animals can do to a kennel if they decide they want out was enough for me. But if those weren't enough, the pictures of what they can do to other animals and to humans, sealed the deal.

Comment

I have worked with Grey Wolves and they are magnificent animals. They don't deserve to be "Designered". The hybrids are much more unpredictable and can posess similar jaw structure, capable of up to 700lbs per square inch of jaw pressure. Think of what that would do to your face! They can break a limb clean in two and sever it at the same time with one bite.
        While they are beautiful animals, they don't belong in a public grooming establishment. They have a very HIGH prey drive and anything small becomes possible LUNCH. It would be a tremendous liability, not to mention the chances you are taking (as the business owner) if something was to happen to someone elses pet while the wolf-dog was arriving/there/leaving.

It was a great experience though, wasn't it!

Comment

Cool. You should check out the book the wolf within your dog. I am reasonably sure the author is nathan childs. Very cool pack type of training, and it is centered around wolf and wolf hybrid’s. If you like ceaser, you will love this book.

Comment

how much for wolf?

I'm curious. How much did you charge for the wolf/malamute mix?

Comment

It was on CNN not too long ago about a woman that raised them in the suburbs. She fell down while feeding them out in thier run and they ripped her apart!

Comment

So are we spos' ta call ya Little Red Riding Hood Now?

Oh boy, Have I gotten you into another funny thread? No, seriously, I, like Helly would never attempt a half or whole wolf. I have seen one, but not to groom. You know we all love you, and don't want anything BAD to ever happen to you! I would think twice about doing him again. Glad you are ok.
                Last edited by mustluvdogs1; 04-27-07, 09:55 PM. Reason: Misspelled word.

Comment

domestic - wild hybreds

Same here...wouldn't do one..and on the same note...I don't do Bengals or Pixi-bobs...for the same reason...too unpredictiable...depending on how far away the wild part is...Bengals have to be an F-5 (meaning 5 generations out from wild) just to be in the show ring---so where do all of the F-1 through F4's go too? Yep, pet owners!

Having been in cats for 14 years...and having seen these kitties up close and personal...nope...if it's not domestic...I will send them down the road...
                  yes there is still the contravesary that the Bengal and PixiBobs ...NOW are ok, but even stilll...an adult can make some nasty bites, and because they are unpredictiable...I just don't so them over the consideration of a domestic kitty, which can be a nasty critter too.

Comment

Originally posted by NeaNea View Post
                    I have worked with Grey Wolves and they are magnificent animals. They don't deserve to be "Designered". The hybrids are much more unpredictable and can posess similar jaw structure, capable of up to 700lbs per square inch of jaw pressure. Think of what that would do to your face! They can break a limb clean in two and sever it at the same time with one bite.
                    While they are beautiful animals, they don't belong in a public grooming establishment. They have a very HIGH prey drive and anything small becomes possible LUNCH. It would be a tremendous liability, not to mention the chances you are taking (as the business owner) if something was to happen to someone elses pet while the wolf-dog was arriving/there/leaving.

It was a great experience though, wasn't it!
                    I agree with NeaNea - these dogs should not be bred PERIOD, much less taken into a grooming shop. I've worked with wolf rescue/recovery in the past and the hybrids are terribly unstable, terrible house "pets." A very high percentage of incidents people report with wolves are actually hybrids, further perpetuating the myths about big bad wolves and providing more reason for ignorant people to shoot or trap them. The last thing that creature needs is to be turned into a Wolfendoodle or some awful Frankencreature!

Comment

He was very gentle and had been raised in home from 4 weeks of age. I have a shop cat that he licked! He paid no attention to him whatsoever. He was very gentle and a bit fussy with the dryers blowing on him, other than that I would not hesitate to groom him again. I had a scottie in there in another cage that was more fierce than this guy! shes the one that was being dog aggressive, not him. I charged them 65 for a bath and brushout, nails and ears. They were pleased and so was I. no problems with this one anyway.
                      ps. His coat hardly blew out at all...that made it nicer!! not matted..just really thick coated.

Comment

What about vaccines?

I'm thinking the normal vaccines don't work on hybrids.

Way too much to risk for me, but to each her own!.

Erica

Comment

The regular vacc are not listed or regulated for wolf or wolf hybrids, esp. the rabies vacc. because the testing has not been done if there is a bite you will have to do the exposure injections (major pain in the @$$ and spendy) and/or euthanize and send in the head. One major thing to remember when ever doing one of these "wild" hybrids you are literally taking your life into your hands.

Comment

Aw.. I would do it without hesitation. I take every animal for themselves. I do agree that it would be better if people weren't breeding these hybrids but unfortunately people are and the "dogs" need to be taken care of by someone.

However... HairDevil, I think you said it was a yr old .... Im glad he was great for you but watch out as he he hits 18mo-2 yr old. Unfortunately I think you may find him not so pliable. Especially since they didnt neuter him.

Comment

yes he had rabies vacs, you have to use a killed virus only. he had that. I made them bring in the paperwork. I will watch him as he matures and I did advise them to have him neutered asap.

Comment

Working...
                              X