Matted pomperanian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matted pomperanian

Okay guys, I'm a little nervous, the last pomp I did about 2 weeks ago the lady called me every name possible for shaving down her dog. I will get all phone numbers, sign a form, make sure she and I are on the right page. My question is this, would you take down the body with a 7 or a 4(that is if I can get through the coat with a 4) and leave a mane to scissor. Would you do a reverse to make the coat nicer? I know that would be short but a 4 or 7 rev. does look good.

Personally I wouldn't go shorter than a #4. To be honest the shortest I've ever shaved a pom is a #1 and those were owners that requested haircuts. Otherwise most just get brushed out and tidied. I haven't run accross a pom that couldn't be brushed out yet (knocking on wood).

Comment

I've shaved a Pom with a #10 before. Just do what can be done. If a #4 works and leaves the dog looking good, then a #4 it is.

I hate owners who think were stupid and all those other things because we care about the dogs health and they don't.
      Becky

Comment

Same as Dawn...........I use Best Shot Shampoo and Conditioner,HV and then a dematter(all comes out beautiful.)

Comment

To get a #4 through

you would have to get a lot of coat out. I would just do a de matting deal, using all tricks. Thinning shears by the way can help alot, just be careful no skin in them. I"ve not had a Pom that was so bad that I had to shave, only some that the owner wanted shaved.
          Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

I haven't had to shave one yet either - thank goodness. I've had to shave plenty of the other breeds though, due to matting. I've had some fairly matted poms, but I've been able to demat plus using a snap on usually helps get the mats out too. I say, if a 4 looks good, that is what I would do too. Do what you have to do, and just make sure the owner is fully aware. Also I'd see if the owner was into the mane look, maybe show a pic if you have one. If not I'd just shave and start fresh. Give the client a couple options, so they still feel somewhat like they're choosing the groom - even though their options are limited. Good luck.

Comment

Typos?

Sorry to be such a stickler, but just wanted to point out it is a "Pomeranian" no "P" in the middle- this breed is so often misspelled and mispronounced- noticed another post where someone called it a "pomperian". My former manager used to call them "pomeraniums".

Comment

well pomeranian IS hard to spell LOL! sometimes im sure i misspell it...but what REALLY miffs me is when people misspell shepherd. they spell it shephard or shepard. drives me NUTS! but ive never said anything...but yes that is a peeve of mine.
                Hound

Comment

Originally posted by bullymom View Post
                  Sorry to be such a stickler, but just wanted to point out it is a "Pomeranian" no "P" in the middle- this breed is so often misspelled and mispronounced- noticed another post where someone called it a "pomperian". My former manager used to call them "pomeraniums".
                  My step-moms sister breed Chihuahuas... She can't pronounce them or spell them... It's hilarious.... She breeds a dog and can't even say the name right.. Chiwawa.. just like a lot of other people spell it....

Sorry for the off topic... back to the original Pom subject.
                  Becky

Comment

One thing you might want to do is go to a fabric store and buy a piece of fake fur. Then clip some areas with various different blades, so you can give the owner some idea of what length to expect if you do have to do a shavedown.

If you decide to do a reverse clip, I wouldn't do a 7. That would be way too short. A 3 or 4 reverse, and blend into a mane, would look OK.

I did a rather oversized Pom today in a 3, and he looked great. I did blow out all the undercoat first. It wasn't horribly matted, though. I shaved everything, including head and tail. Well, I sort of shaved his tail. I used the 3 down the top of his tail, and scissored the rest of it into a squirrel tail.

Comment

I love a pom in a 4f oa. I would bath him 1st w/ a good conditioner and try to blow the hair away from the skin best you could, then hopefully get a 4 under it. They look adorable if done right! Like lil teddy bears!

Comment

The best tip I can give you is to take your scissors and wack off half of the poms hair -mats and all, then bath it. While it is very soapy I also will use a coat king or mat tool to brush the dog all over and thin out it's coat. This cuts brushing in half then you can get a 4 through it sooo much easier. If the mane is brushes out leave it, just blend blend blend with thinning shears. You can also leave the back leg feathers and the front feathers too just trim "pants" this looks really cute.

Comment

Sorry about the spelling.............I do know how to spell pomeranian. Didn't even realize I done it. Sorry guys! The pom. I did last week, I couldn't even get a comb under some of the matts. I did the Best shot 1-2-3, hv, and dematted, after 20 minutes I was getting no where.

Comment

I'm like Dawn, never "had" to shave down a POMPeranian. Or a Palmeranian, lol.

Just teasin' all.

Anyway, I don't care for the #7 look but if I had to that is as short as I'll go---#7 WITH the grain, no clipper vac. (Or #4 clipper vac w/grain). I don't like to see skin. Especially on a pom.

Tammy in Utah
                            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Hi shrek, sorry, didn't mean to sound critical- we all have our little pet peeves and I guess we all now know what one of mine is Good luck with the pom, I agree with the other posts that if you can avoid going shorter than a 4 it will probably look better. Usually with a bath, conditioner and good HV dry the mats will move far enough away from the skin. Personally I really dislike cutting the hair short on these guys, they are so pretty with just a light trim.

Comment

Working...
                              X