Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey shop owners... longish

thanks for the advice
    Last edited by Tzu-crazee; 04-27-07, 09:45 AM.

First of all if anyone is IC, you can't fix their work of their clients.

Okay, I am a shop owner and a groomer. I never clip anything on my groomers dogs unless they ask me to show them how I do something, then I clip one side and they do the other.

I think that it is degrading to you as a groomer. Why not confront her, ask her to please stop, if she doesn't it may be time for you to move on. Maybe she is like a Mother with long apron strings and has a hard time facing that you are All Grown Up and can do it by yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Gracy Rose View Post
      Okay, I am a shop owner and a groomer. I never clip anything on my groomers dogs unless they ask me to show them how I do something, then I clip one side and they do the other.
      I used to do the same when I had other groomers in my shop.

I would love to have my other groomers to groom like me, but everyone has their own style. It's a good thing to come into your own. If the shop owner doesn't stop after you ask her to. Maybe you should move on to somewhere where you can do your own style.

Comment

yeah. what Gracy said. I ditto that/ oh and then i'd say,'no you didn't just chop my dogs beard off!!! I could never deal with that. I am a perfectionist and the owner would never touch my dogs anyway/ but sometimes when she's not looking I might just even out her dogs face.ssshhhh let's keep it a secret.....we don't want her to know. she's a really good groomer. she's just getting alittle over the hill!!lol

Comment

Well, I don't employ a groomer, just a bather/brusher, so I can't speak too much from experience. And if I was in your position I'd be pretty annoyed too. But think of it from her shoes. She may not like how YOU do faces, even though yours sound cuter than hers. She knows what her customers like, and doesn't want to lose them. I'm anal and if I thought my customers liked their dog's faces a certain way and you weren't doing it my way, I'd nicely ask you to change it, show you how.

I don't think she's handling it correctly by just walking over and whacking it off, or by being sneaky about it. I'd ask her if you can practice your own style on new customers, or dogs you bring in to the shop (I'd tread lightly and not call them YOUR customers), but on dogs that she used to do you'll do them her way. That's one of the bonuses of hiring someone and training them yourself, they groom the way you want them to.
          Erin
          No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

Certain things need to be common among employees: Blending lines, proportion the head to the body, and vice versa, nail trimming, etc etc...

But to just chop hair off because that is her "style" is just so wrong. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. It sounds like you're a better groomer than your "trainer."

I would be looking for another place of employment if I were you, that would just frustrate the heck out of me.

Tammy in Utah
            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I have "fixed" heads that other groomers have done, but , I tell them to watch what I'm doing so I don't have to do it again. We have a style in my shop that each groomer learns and if they can't pick it up...see yah! Shih tsu's get teddy bear heads unless they are full coated. I've seen groomers scalp dogs and it ain't pretty.
              Next time boss goes to cut the dog...ask her to wait and tell her the client requested more lenght on the face, ears, whatever.
              I hired a groomer and gave her a standard poodle that had the prettiest ears, she cut them to chin length, I almost died, I asked her why she would do that when the dog is clearly well groomed every 4 weeks...she replied, "that's what i was taught in school" some groomers never stray from the basics taught in school, perhaps your skills are surpassing your bosses and she 's feeling intimidated.

Comment

Sounds like where I was working the owner wanted every single head exactly the same no matter what the breed and owner's request. She would do the exact same thing a lot of times when you were done just come over and chop and i mean chop everything in a severely straight line across the head (nothing really round) This applied for mixed breeds, shihtzus yorkies and anything else with a drop coat face No creativity whatsoever and very annoying.

If you guys like us can't agree on it I would move on cause some people never change. If you were in Connecticut I'd swear you were working for my old place reading your post.

Good luck.

Comment

I was also trained by my employer. She does a beautiful job and is very talented so I consider my grooms a success if they look anywhere near as nice as hers. She originally did the "I'll trim this side and you trim the other side" thing. Now she just lets me be. Once in a while she might say something like "are you going to trim more off that..." but she would never just walk over and cut on a dog I am doing unless I asked for help. That said, as a newer groomer, my biggist sin is probably not cutting enough off. I can't even count the number of times I have put a dog away and a few minutes later noticed it's bangs are not short enough. Or when they come back 5 or 6 weeks later they look so shaggy because that tidy trim I sent them home with really was marginally too long and within a week they looked shaggy. Many of the dogs I groom have been her customers for years and she knows things like "mom likes the fur around the eyes really short" or "dad wants his beard really short because he makes a mess when he drinks" Some things she cuts shorter than me have to do with preventing matts. It took me a while to make sure my armpit areas were short enough that I didn't get the dog back with matted armpits next time. My point is that, while your boss sounds like she may be cutting heads too short for your taste (and not doing it very diplomatically) she may have a reason. It may be that what you feel is cute is not appropriate for the specific dog with regards to how long that dog goes between grooms.

Comment

I've trained several groomers, and I would NEVER start whacking away on a dog they groomed, even when they were still training. I might make suggestions; "The ears aren't even." or "Blend this a little more." but I consider it unprofessional, disrespectful, and down right rude to start snipping away on someone elses groom unless asked.

It sounds like maybe someone is stuck in the past and has some control issues. I'd probably be looking for a new job. No, let me re-phrase that, I'd be unemployed and looking for a new job, because I'd say something that would get me fired, or I'd pack up my stuff and leave. I'm not into the whole power trip over anyone else, but I sure have a problem when some control freak starts trying to dictate to me.

And to be completely honest, I don't think it's necessary or even a good thing for every groomer in the same shop to do things the same way. The girl I trained at my current job has developed her own style. Her grooms are excellent, but a lot of them don't look at all like I'd groom the dog. Her clients are happy, and that's what matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                      I've trained several groomers, and I would NEVER start whacking away on a dog they groomed, even when they were still training. I might make suggestions; "The ears aren't even." or "Blend this a little more." but I consider it unprofessional, disrespectful, and down right rude to start snipping away on someone elses groom unless asked.

It sounds like maybe someone is stuck in the past and has some control issues. I'd probably be looking for a new job. No, let me re-phrase that, I'd be unemployed and looking for a new job, because I'd say something that would get me fired, or I'd pack up my stuff and leave. I'm not into the whole power trip over anyone else, but I sure have a problem when some control freak starts trying to dictate to me.

And to be completely honest, I don't think it's necessary or even a good thing for every groomer in the same shop to do things the same way. The girl I trained at my current job has developed her own style. Her grooms are excellent, but a lot of them don't look at all like I'd groom the dog. Her clients are happy, and that's what matters.
                      I completely agree Helly. I am still at the shop where I learned grooming. My boss taught me her style, and for the most part I do what she taught me, but she allows me to put "my style" into it. I think that it's important to let new groomers develop a style of their own.
                      Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Tzu-crazee, I think you should really consider talking to her. I know that it is her shop, and she should have a say in things, but like Helly said it is really innapropriate for her to be chopping away at your dogs. I like that I can still ask my boss for help, and she will do so in a way that makes me feel good about my abilities. She very often compliments me about my grooming, and even goes so far as to say that she some of my grooms have looked better than hers (I don't believe it, lol, but sure felt good). Anyway, I wish you luck with your situation. It really can be stiffling, and that is a very hard work environment.
                        Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post

Not surprised at your answer!

Comment

Working...
                          X