I was bit today, grrrrrr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was bit today, grrrrrr

I was even using the gh. I've decided the gh is not really made for small dogs, toy poodle, dogs with short legs or dogs who want to bite the groomer. I was able to get her hind feet with no problem. I got her left front foot, with a nip here and there. I restrained her even more, but when I went to do her right front foot she nailed me!!!! She was still able to get to my (the fatty part by the hand) and held on. I guess I'm just relying on the gh tooooooo much to restrain these little dogs, and not being careful enough, because it doesn't work, for me at least.

This little dog use to NOT give me any problems at all. Now all I have to do is touch her and she is ready to nail me. I've been grooming her since 1998. The last couple of years she has gotten a lot worse but I have never been nailed like I was today from her.
    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
    Diane

How would it have been with OUT the GH?

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Yeah why is that? I thought the more a dog was groomed, the better behaved they would become for it. I do a little shi that used to just sit there the entire time through out blow drying, now he spins like a little tazmanian devil when I try to dry him. My dog has gotten better, now he just lays down when I brush him and he falls asleep when I cut his bangs.
      Hope the little guy didn't get you too bad though, was it bleeding? Did the owner's say anything about it? I'm not really sure what they would say. Better luck with thr gh.

Comment

Oooh, so sorry

You may know my Jax got me in the same place last month, I still get a twinge if I unscrew a lid or hold the dryer nozzle in a certain way. I took major antibiotics. Two kinds. Cipro and someting else. I didn't finish the 3 a day ones. I think he gave me too many. I hope you scrubbed it real well. I guess the ol girl must not feel good.

Comment

So sorry about your bite. Maybe this dog isn't feeling well, or has been having pain somewhere?? As I groom only the little ones now, I don't think I would use the GH-I rarely use the grooming loop. Sometimes I think a lot of dogs will become panicked if too restrained. I just use a control lead instead. So far, so good-touch wood, LOL. Hope your hand is OK.
          Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

I'm surprised, but my hand doesn't really hurt. It's my left hand, I'm right handed. She didn't break the skin so there was no bleeding.

I didn't even tell the owner. I don't know why but it just never came up. Dumb I know.

This little lady has just gotten worse as the months go by. When I first started noticing her change it was just little things, like I'd pick up a foot to shave and she would show her teeth, put her mouth on my hand but now, especially today even in the bath just touching her tail, getting ready to check her glands she turned around to bite. I had mentioned to the owner about 4 months ago that maybe she shouldn't have a c/ff, maybe hurting her. So I started to do a Teddy Bear cut on her, didn't really seem to make the dog any happier. Then last month the owner said she wanted c/ff again.

Tammy, this is the first time I used the GH on her and I just think it made her worse, and I think I was relying on it too much to stop her from biting me. Maybe I wasn't as watchful for the signs she gives before she bites. She won't be on it again I don't think.
            Diane

Comment

You have to remember that the GH isn't magical. It won't stop every bite, just the majority of them. There still may be times when you need to muzzle, like doing nails on front feet. Especially on little dogs with short legs.

But now that you know this dog will bite, why would you NOT use the GH? You say she tried to get you when she was in the tub. You didn't have the GH on her then, and she tried to bite, so I wouldn't be so sure the GH made the situation worse. But even if she was fussing about the GH, it's your safety that's at risk. I don't groom any dog without the GH. Some of them don't really need it, but it's the dog who has never given you an ounce of trouble before that'll do you a serious injury if they're having an off day, simply because you aren't taking precautions.

Sometimes I think they get worse as time goes on because their owner is teaching them to be naughty when they brush at home. They hit a tangle, dog fusses, so they stop. Dog learns "If I fuss, she'll stop" so dog fusses. Then we get them, dog fusses, we don't stop, dog kicks it up a notch, we still don't stop, dog snaps.

Comment

If I have a dog who I know is going to try to bite me for nails, feet, etc. I use the GH as well as a muzzle. The chances of the dog getting out of both and getting to me is slim.

Comment

Thanks for the advice people. I will put her on it again, but she will also have a muzzle on.
                  Diane

Comment

Working...
                  X