Two fleas=tapeworm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two fleas=tapeworm

I mentioned this in another thread, but wanted this information out there. Two of my dogs got stung/bit by a bee or such a bit over 3 weeks ago. I took them with me for safety observation for a goodbye lunch with a friend who had a kennel in a kennel row. (she just moved to Tennesse) I walked my dogs for potty in the grass across the street. They had not had their Spring Flea Protection Frontline on yet, still early here. Well later that night my adolescent dog was chewing and sure enough a flea. Makes sense since the kennels area right there. Only saw one, but now I know there had to be at least another one. Flea protection put on all my dogs immediately, like barn door locked after the horse stolen, but still there would not be more fleas.

Now the youngsters stool is full of teensy tapeworm segments. My gosh. Off to get the worming medicine, will worm all my dogs just in case. Only saw one flea.

Tell your non flea eliminating customers this true story.
    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

tapeworms

If you are concerned about the meds that kill the tapeworms being harmful to your dogs, just watch for them in each of the dogs' piles.
    If dog a is the only infected one, no need to treat dog b.

The dog has to ingest a flea containing the tapeworm egg, (larve whatever) to get tapeworms himself. He doesn't get tapeworms anywhere else, unlike other types of worms. Not all fleas have tapeworm eggs.

Also I would get the more expensive CESTEX from your vet- not the over the counter one.

JMO-
    Erica

Comment

Originally posted by Arrooh View Post
      I mentioned this in another thread, but wanted this information out there. Two of my dogs got stung/bit by a bee or such a bit over 3 weeks ago. I took them with me for safety observation for a goodbye lunch with a friend who had a kennel in a kennel row. (she just moved to Tennesse) I walked my dogs for potty in the grass across the street. They had not had their Spring Flea Protection Frontline on yet, still early here. Well later that night my adolescent dog was chewing and sure enough a flea. Makes sense since the kennels area right there. Only saw one, but now I know there had to be at least another one. Flea protection put on all my dogs immediately, like barn door locked after the horse stolen, but still there would not be more fleas.

Now the youngsters stool is full of teensy tapeworm segments. My gosh. Off to get the worming medicine, will worm all my dogs just in case. Only saw one flea.

Tell your non flea eliminating customers this true story.
      Oh my gosh, that is crazy Leah! All my dogs are on monthly heartworm pills, but that doesn't cover tapeworm. I do flea protection too, but this is something to pass on for sure. Thanks! Hope your youngster is on the mend. I hate parasites..bluck..

Comment

Tapeworms come from fleas??

Comment

Originally posted by RevWind View Post
          Tapeworms come from fleas??
          Yes, that's the most common source. They can also get them from eating rodents and rabbits. It's a different type of tapeworm, but it's still tapeworm.

http://www.dr-dan.com/tapeworm.htm

Comment

I hate parasites too

I got meds from the Vet today, and I'll just give it to all. Having four dogs and a canyon hillside yard the possibility of me now knowing who left what out there is likely. I'm just glad I saw the youngster in position and since I'm a bit compulsive with clean up I had gone right over with the scooper. The girl was itchy that day that I found the flea and the other boy was the one who'd also gone with me to the kennel area that day. My hound always hides her poop in some bushes.

Yep tapeworms are almost always from ingested fleas. The worms story of survival is as fascinating as it is repulsive.
            Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Working...
            X