Anyone heard of this breed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone heard of this breed?

The South African Boerboel? I had never heard of it, but had a customer call in about making an appointment for one. Except she spelled it Bor Bole. I looked it up online, apparently its a rare mastiff type dog in South Africa. I'm really curious to see this dog. I imagine that it's pretty unlikely that it really is one, but you just never know! I think she will just walk in with a mastiff type dog, like she went looking on the internet and said, hey that's what my dog looks like! I'll let you all know what it looks like tomorrow!

http://rarebreed.com/breeds/boerboel/index.html
    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

i've seen them advertised in dogs usa or puppies usa, one of those dog magazines that are always laying around anyway. never have an prolly never will see one in person though.

Comment

The few boerboels I have met have been pretty nice dogs. A word of caution though, they are a guarding breed and I have heard about some temperament issues.

Comment

Ceaser (dog whisperer) had one on his show one day!!!!!!!! Gorgeous animal!!!

Comment

They're very powerful, even for a mastif type dog. And they make magnificent cattle dogs. No herd of ornery, half wild little heifers is going to intimidate one, that's for sure, lol.

If well socialized, they're ok to handle. But like any dog of that size, a temperamental one is not something you want to deal with.

Comment

I met one in person at a park, gorgeous dog. I fell in love with it, my husband has wanted one ever since.

Comment

I am very curious now, and am really hoping that it is one, but like often happens I get the feeling that it's going to be a pit mix or something, lol.

Comment

I saw the Dog Whisperer episode also.. Patti Labelle owned the big guy and had him imported from Africa... after 6 mos.. he got so big she was SCARED of him and basically locked him up for 3.5 yrs until Caesar came and showed her that he was just INSECURE... it was a great episode - he was fostered out to a good home and just a real sweetheart. I love that show!!!

Comment

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/boerboel.htm

http://www.bulldoginformation.com/so...-boerboel.html

Comment

I meet one awhile ago he was 5 monthes and oh so cute.
                    Never gonna know if you never even try

Comment

ive heard of them too....very gorgoeus dogs! never met one in person though!
                      Hound

Comment

It worries me that people are starting to get these dogs as pets. They're working dogs. They need a job to do. Out of control, bored Boarder Collies and JRTs are bad enough. I can't imagine the problems a bored, out of control Boerboel could cause. Or maybe I can, and that's what worries me.

Comment

I'm w/you Helly!! I wish people had to take a class or test or something to make them more informed on the kind of dog they are getting. I LOVE these giant breeds, but I would hesitate getting one because I don't feel I have the knowledge to channel their needs into the right direction. I hope these big guys don't become like the Pres. Canary Island Dogs(can't remember the spelling) or Pitts or any of those that get a bad rap because of ignorant owners. Patty Labell (sp) is a Perfect example. JMHO
                          SheilaB from SC

Comment

Wow, I've never even heard of that breed. I looked at the pic and it looks like a Mastiff Anatolin mix.. LOL...
                            Becky

Comment

Well, like always seems to happen, they no showed...lol

Comment

Working...
                              X