Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Stand By My Decision.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I Stand By My Decision.

    Today was a day from Hades. First, I was informed that I needed to get control of my staff. As I had been off the day in question, and was compelled to point that out, the discussion ended badly. Then, I couldn't get our computer to do anything and finally had to call for assistance. Of course, the only one that could help was the one that started my day rolling downhill. After that, a man came in dragging an ancient chow mix, and dragging is the only way I can describe their entrance, I asked the age of the dog and was told the dog was 19 years old. I refused to even try and groom this dog who couldn't even stand for more than a minute or two at a time and looked like he was a wobble away from meeting his maker. The owner got irate and began yelling obscenities and threatening my staff, I politely told him where the door was and waited for him to leave. After he left, My boss had the nerve to ask me if I thought I handled the situation appropriately. As if she was in a hurry to assist and stood back and watched until it was over. I won't go into my response, but I left 3 hours early and still stand by my decision. That poor dog deserved to be allowed to enjoy his last days and not be subjected to all grooming entails. In my opinion anyway. Thanks for letting me vent.

  • #2
    As long as you believe in yourself, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

    I hope your next work day is better. Have a blender on me.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by allick06 View Post
      Today was a day from Hades. First, I was informed that I needed to get control of my staff. As I had been off the day in question, and was compelled to point that out, the discussion ended badly. Then, I couldn't get our computer to do anything and finally had to call for assistance. Of course, the only one that could help was the one that started my day rolling downhill. After that, a man came in dragging an ancient chow mix, and dragging is the only way I can describe their entrance, I asked the age of the dog and was told the dog was 19 years old. I refused to even try and groom this dog who couldn't even stand for more than a minute or two at a time and looked like he was a wobble away from meeting his maker. The owner got irate and began yelling obscenities and threatening my staff, I politely told him where the door was and waited for him to leave. After he left, My boss had the nerve to ask me if I thought I handled the situation appropriately. As if she was in a hurry to assist and stood back and watched until it was over. I won't go into my response, but I left 3 hours early and still stand by my decision. That poor dog deserved to be allowed to enjoy his last days and not be subjected to all grooming entails. In my opinion anyway. Thanks for letting me vent.
      When I get an old dog in that looks like the dog you described and noone wants to risk doing it(and we don't, believe me) I always will say something like, "Considering the age and obvious fraility of your pet we feel that it is important for him to be groomed in an environment where his health and wellness can be supervised by a veteranarian. We would never want to see anything happen to him, and therefore must request that you call your vet to see if they can help you.

      This way you are not saying to them (in their minds) " Oh man I don't want to groom that thing!!) OH p.s sorry to all the groomers that groom at the vet!lol

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't do the whole groom thing on elder dogs like that. Sometimes I offer a brush out, nails and ears and maybe clean their sani but thats it. I tie a scarf on them (or not depending) and send them off. It makes everyone feel good but again that depends.
        If its a dog like you described, no the time it takes just to dry him alone would be too much for him. Coupled with the bathing and brushing and stress of it all.

        You do what is best for all around. Sometimes its not what others want to hear. Your boss, maybe she sees only dollar signs. The owner of the dog doesn't get it. The dog is the only one happy I am sure.

        Comment


        • #5
          I think that you should always go with your gut feeling. If you felt that this old guy was just too frail to endure grooming, then good for you. I'm glad you stood your ground.
          Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

          Comment


          • #6
            When this person asked if you thought you handled the situation well, was she meaning refusing the dog, or the way you refused the dog? If you were not kind and delicate to the man with the 19 yr old dog you may have dredged up feelings and fears he has about his dogs age and the fact that he doesnt have much time left. Now that isn't an excuse for him to go off on you. On the other hand you may have been able to head it off by being empathetic and delicate in your refusal.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by goldiphlox View Post
              When I get an old dog in that looks like the dog you described and noone wants to risk doing it(and we don't, believe me) I always will say something like, "Considering the age and obvious fraility of your pet we feel that it is important for him to be groomed in an environment where his health and wellness can be supervised by a veteranarian. We would never want to see anything happen to him, and therefore must request that you call your vet to see if they can help you.

              This way you are not saying to them (in their minds) " Oh man I don't want to groom that thing!!) OH p.s sorry to all the groomers that groom at the vet!lol
              Great post and that is what I have done and would do in a situation like that. Having been a vet groomer I also had to do dogs like this sometimes, very nervewracking, but at least there was always a vet on premises if something did happen.

              Sorry you had such a bad day.

              Comment


              • #8
                I would have done the same. If your boss said that to you for your right decision, imagine what she might say/do to you if the old dog collasped under your care? Imagine the dog was unconscious beside you, the rude owner was yelling at you for his "poor, was healthy" dog, and ask yourself what would your boss said?

                Comment


                • #9
                  My impression from what you've said is that your boss didn't like the way you handled the situation in general, not that you declined to groom such a frail, old dog.

                  If I am wrong, then disregard the following:

                  Most people don't just get mad and start cussin' ya the instant they don't get what they want. This is the 4th or 5th post/thread I've read today where an owner was cussing like crazy. I've worked at one of the busiest shops I've ever seen (up to 70 dogs a day), and I've never seen anyone act like that---unless something instigated it. IF they did act like that and you were sickeningly polite, then the person has mental problems. I can't imagine anybody acting that way over someone saying, "Your dog looks very frail, he might benefit from a vet looking him over before we groom him, as the stress of grooming can do a lot of harm to and older, frail pet like this one."

                  So my first thought is do you feel that you were polite, TOTALLY polite, or he was just a jerk? If he was just a jerk, then why would your boss ask you that? I think you might want to ask your boss what he/she meant.

                  Tammy in Utah
                  Groomers Helper Affiliate

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yup I hae to say I would have also refused the dog for grooming.
                    But I really like the "your pet is frail and needs to be monitored by a vet staff". reason very good and one I will remember!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Goldi, I love the way you worded your rejection... classy and still to the point.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Gracy Rose View Post
                        Goldi, I love the way you worded your rejection... classy and still to the point.
                        Yep that's me classy and bold!lol...jk.......but I have put alot of thought in how I answer to customers and have had good luck......this way I don't have to be shaken....or stirred by a miserable [email protected][email protected]

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X