In Heat??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Heat??????

ok this may be a stupid question but I have never breed any dog or even been around them when they are in heat. I have had 4 this week that are in heat and have never had any in heat since I have been grooming. I always thought dogs come into heat on thier own cycle. Am I wrong? Is this just some strange thing for this week or is it the season?

You are experiencing a coincidence.............dogs DO come into season on their own cycle(which may not be consistant) Watch your males!! No conflict is a good day!

Comment

It's both. Spring is the time, but one usually doesn't run into four of them in the same week, unless they're coming from the same owner.

I send them home if they're in heat. It's just one of those things I don't want to deal with.

Comment

In general dogs come into heat on their own cycle, usually twice a year, although that can fluxuate. The alpha bitch in a household going into heat will usually bring the other bitchs into season as well. I've seen it happen to neighboring dogs as well.

Comment

Hmmmm, well in my past experiences my females have been known to come in heat when another was even when it wasn't her time. It's likely a coincidence though in your shop, it could be they just have similar heat cycles. They're fairly predictable, but I've had the occasional one who throws all the rules out the window. Thankfully most of the female doggies that come in to my shop are fixed - it's the males in my area that have all their nuggets and they literally pee on everything they can. I've given up on the shrubs around the shop and put all my flowers in high planters so they can breath - too much urine for even the hardiest of plants.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Newfs View Post
            The alpha bitch in a household going into heat will usually bring the other bitchs into season as well.
            It's the same in the women's dormitory in college.

LOLOLOL sorry I couldn't help myself.

Tammy in Utah
            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I had to groom a dog in heat at the first shop I worked at. It was disgusting, blood running through my #10 blade and even down my arm. Another one splattered blood on the wall, and all over my table top, it was just too much.

From that moment I decided if I were ever on my own, I would charge MORE for dogs in heat or send them home. I now have a form the owners fill out that mentions that unneutered males, and females in heat may incur an extra charge (not in those words).

Tammy in Utah
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                It's the same in the women's dormitory in college.
                So true, Tammy! LOL

Comment

Too Funny Tammy! 2 of the 4 were bleeding, 1 just got done bleeding a few days before her appointment, and the other one hasn't bleed at all but (IS HUGE). I double checked thier addresses and they aren't close together. I thought you never know. Thanks for all your replies, I just wanted to make sure I was thinking correctly about their cycles being indivdual.

Comment

On that topic...be cautious grooming an in season bitch....their cervix only opens once or twice a year and if you arent careful you could help edge on a bacterial infection which in turn can lead to pyometra (infection in the uterus) I just dont groom any in season dogs to save me grief....luckily my shop is in a clinic so almost all of my clients are fixed aside from my own showdogs and my show clients

Comment

Jaxxon, that bully is beautiful!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Remember that a bitch's season is a minimum of 21 days, some lasting as long as 28. Like Helly mentioned, bitches come into season generally twice a year - spring and fall. So if the heats are lasting for about a month, they can tend to overlap at times. Generally, I don't see too many bitches in season because 99% of my clients are spayed.

Comment

Thanks baddog! That is Ripley our import from England...he is being shown a bit right now...we were planning on pushing him this year but we have a couple other imports coming so we are going to pull him back

Comment

Originally posted by baddog View Post
                            Jaxxon, that bully is beautiful!!!!!!!!!
                            Oh my, he is a gorgeous one!! Thanks for pointing him out, I never noticed Jaxxon's avitar!
                            SheilaB from SC

Comment

I had a wek whre a few came in, but I informed the owners afterwards that NOT to bring them in when in heat. My reasoning...too mnay dog unfixed, coming and going. I enforce a strict leash rule but there are so many idiot owners that come in for nail clips with there large, unleashed un-neutered dog. That would be a nice big problem if someone was justing sitting in the waiting room.
                              I have had a few clients who never thought of that before (one lady was so ignorant she thought that her shih-tzu could ONLY breed with another shih, cause they were purebreds, I quickly smashed her little theory and the tought of mixed breed puppies started dancing in her head...she leaves her little shih alone in their un fenced yard...some people) and now some of the dogs are fixed!

Comment

Working...
                              X