Tired of working 9 hour days ...just so sick of working at

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired of working 9 hour days ...just so sick of working at

a large pet place. For the last (almost)3 weeks I've had a max. of 2 whole dogs a day. Mostly because we have 9 groomers and 4 bathers and a part time bather. And get this another part time groomer starting in 2 weeks... We are now required to work 8.5 hour shifts..Which ends up being 9 hours because the manager will ask us to do a task right before we are supposed to leave. I'm tired of re-folding those same 200 towels over and over along with the other 6-8 of us working that day. And you can only make so many collar bows. Which so far I think we've made enough for the whole year. We used up about 40 rolls of ribbon...So just imagine.. And I'm one of the lucky ones- I actually had one dog each day unlike some of my friends. Yesterday I had 3 but I gave one away to the girl who didn't have a dog and looked bored out of her mind.

Looks Like it is time to find a new Job. I hope you are at least paid by the hour.

Comment

Just curious, is this a Corporate place or a privately owned place? Why so many groomers and not enough dogs??? How do they even you all over? Is it salary? Don't know how some people run a business like that.

Comment

why don't you just look for another job? or you and some of the groomers open your own business? there are options.

Comment

am sorry to hear that. why dont u leave and find another job? good luck

Comment

Please tell me you're paid hourly. Because if you're not, I don't know that they can require that, but I'm not sure. Anybody know the answer to that?

I'd be out of my mind. That business can't be making money when they have that many groomers and not enough dogs. I worked at a shop that was like that, but we generally had more dogs, at least 3 a day even on a fairly bad day. But it's bad for morale when you don't have anything to do. I love being busy.

Tammy in Utah
            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I am with everyone else. If your not hourly, you owe it to yourself to find an out. Even if your hourly, I would tell the manager you would like more, or to have an extra day off. Someone has to pay the bills, even corporate would probably love some break even point.

Comment

So...... find a better job. There's always something better out there but it's not going to come looking for you, you have to find it if you really want to move on.

Comment

I think what happened is the new manager hired way to many groomers. Since jan. she has added 4 with herself included. The store was busy up until March with each groomer getting 6-10 dogs. We are commissioned unless we hour out. Ofcourse we are getting hourly now 8-9hr when we usually make 15-30 or so an hour. Now its just a mad house with everyone being angry and not being about to pay bills. I've leaving this place in May, and three more people plan on leaving if nothing is fixed. They honestly can't afford to work like this.

Comment

The only good things that came out of this :
                    1. We make kick butt bows
                    2. We'll team groom a dog which is fun and you pickup techniques
                    3. We sure have alot of fun racing to the phone when it rings. And everyone in the background will make dog and cat sounds =) To make it seem busy in the background

Comment

It sounds like plain bad management to me, nothing more, nothing less. You don't hire more groomers when you don't have at least 6 dogs to dedicate to each (my opinion), and you don't hire more groomers when you have less than 6 dogs each AND have to pay them hourly. They are throwing money away!

Tammy in Utah
                      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Try to contact another shop in the meantime. Maybe just work as an on call groomer when your not tied up working. I did it for a while, of course they were shops which were friendly with the one were I was not getting hours. The other shops loved it!! And the shop I stayed at was happy because it lessoned the drama.

Comment

i completely understand

i completely understand i have been doing this for 4 yrs now (corporation). and all i have to say is im DONE! after this summer im out! the past 2 weeks i have been sitting around doing the same thing. i am thingking a vet would be nice go in do my dogs and leave. goodluck!

Comment

Originally posted by scullysmom View Post
                            I am with everyone else. If your not hourly, you owe it to yourself to find an out. Even if your hourly, I would tell the manager you would like more, or to have an extra day off. Someone has to pay the bills, even corporate would probably love some break even point.

I actually asked about the days off today-No way since i'm full time unless i work a little over 10 hours each day for 4 days. Today I was told that I was clocking out 8-12 minutes too early each day... I really wouldn't mind staying late if we had the dogs.

Comment

So horrible!! Yikes. What a waste of valuable groomers!! Are you needing full time for benefits. I used to buy my own insurance because then whatever shop I worked at didn’t have that part of my life controlled.

Comment

Working...
                              X