What Nerve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Nerve

A woman comes in yesterday with a matted dirty Bichon and wants me to JUST bathe and combout, NO cutting of any kind. She tells me she has an appointment with her breeder's groomer and wants the dog to look great.
    ( like she maintains it herself) Right.... No way am I going to do all the hard work so her groomer thinks the dog is in great condition!
    Come on, anyway I don't do comb-outs anymore. What nerve!!

Sure, I'd do it (as long as the dog wasn't a freak).. but I'd charge by the hour.. could easily get up in the $120-$180 range...

Comment

I would've kicked her to the curb (politely of course!) She didn't care a hoot about you or the dog. She just wanted to make herself look good!

Comment

I would've charged her my bath price plus $30 an hour to dematt. Then read her the riot act on how her poor dog should not have to suffer and got through the dematt.

Comment

I don't care what people's reasons are as long as I have time and it does not cause the dog discomfort, I will take their money.
          If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I wouldn't have a problem with bathing and brushing, but I don't do dematting if they're matted all over. A mat here and there, sure. But I'm just not into torturing small animals.

Comment

Plexi, what was your response? What did you tell her? I would have just said, "Sorry, this dog is matted, I cannot just bath it." So now I'm curious about what you said, and her response. Or maybe I would have said, "Oh, it would be cheaper to just let the breeder's groomer do it, she'll probably shave it anyway since its in such deplorable condition," LOL...just kidding.

Tammy in Utah
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I don't demat anymore, only the small ones and I really only demat a little if the dog is a regular and its an off thing. But this reminded me of a place I worked in a few years ago. Their motto was was that they would demat any dog in any condition. They had a severly matted OES there for three days (it was also a kennel/vet/daycare ect) to demat him and the owner didn't bother to rebook him. I thought, why should she? She figures she will bring him back when he is a matted mess next for three days. She could go on a long weekend break and while the dog is kenneled, have him dematted for three days.
                Anyway in that same place, I was new there and new to grooming so I did everything. I was booked a terribly matted bichon that took me the entire day to brush out. The undercharged the woman, I went home with less money than if I worked in a fast food place for two hours, my hands ached and I felt like crying. The owner didn't rebook and just said she will call next time for another appointment, no tip. I worked there for a grand total of one month before I high tailed it out of there.

Comment

Originally posted by MissKitty View Post
                  I don't demat anymore, only the small ones and I really only demat a little if the dog is a regular and its an off thing. But this reminded me of a place I worked in a few years ago. Their motto was was that they would demat any dog in any condition. They had a severly matted OES there for three days (it was also a kennel/vet/daycare ect) to demat him and the owner didn't bother to rebook him. I thought, why should she? She figures she will bring him back when he is a matted mess next for three days. She could go on a long weekend break and while the dog is kenneled, have him dematted for three days.
                  Anyway in that same place, I was new there and new to grooming so I did everything. I was booked a terribly matted bichon that took me the entire day to brush out. The undercharged the woman, I went home with less money than if I worked in a fast food place for two hours, my hands ached and I felt like crying. The owner didn't rebook and just said she will call next time for another appointment, no tip. I worked there for a grand total of one month before I high tailed it out of there.
                  That is awful, I can't believe they had you do that to the poor dog. I'm curious about the charge, was it more than double the usual amount? Triple? I am really curious to know how undercharged the owner was, because that is just pathetic they would run a business like that, IMO.

Tammy in Utah
                  Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

i thoroughly explain my non torture policy to new customers and sometimes reiterate to current. everyones knows that even though they are paying for it, my client is the dog not them. i will do what is best for the dog.
                    Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
                    "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

some people just have no business in business. stupid. bottom line...sad the dog had to be tormented for her selfish pleasure.

Comment

I will detangle, but I am with everyone that said they won't demat a whole body. When it's that bad you can end up with a pink dog! Red, sore skin from the tugging and pulling, and that's even if the dog will let you do it.

So, Plexi, what did you decide? Did you send her packing?
                        Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I refuse to dematt a mess! A few here and there, no problem, I refuse to torture dogs, maybe just the owners from time to time!

Comment

Working...
                          X