# of Dog: yrs experience: equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• # of Dog: yrs experience: equipment

We all have been talking about how many dogs per day people can do but here is what I am wondering.
    How many dogs per day do you normally do? How many years experiece do you have? What equipment do you use?

Right now it has been 2 1/2 months since I finished school and started grooming full time.
    I can do comfortably 4 dogs a day.
    I have nothing fancy, no bath system, little Metro Air Commander dryer, small stand dryer, I have homemade cage dryers made from furnace blowers (no heat just large fans basically). No clipper vac system. My equipment is very basic. But I have ordered a K9III that should come in this week or next. Hubby is building me a recirc bath system in a couple of weeks, I just got a new dehumdifier to help with the lack of airflow and humidity in the shop.
    I am still working on some organzation for the shop so things will run smoother, I want to be able to find everything easier.
    And I have no help.

Until your shampoo system is built use a farm/garden sprayer (I call them bug sprayers) a 2 or 3 gallon sprayer that you pump to create pressure. This is what I use and I just bought another one at Lowes for 29.00.

There are a few goomers on here that have made their own hydraulic tables for almost nothing.

I got my workstation a Lowes which has a 2ft x 4ft top, peg board back to hang tools, 4 drawers for storage, a shelf on bottom, and a small shelf on top. It was a pain in the butt to put together, but it was only $150.

You'll LOVE your K-9III!

Comment

I forgot I have 7 years experience and I can do 8-9 full grooms in about 9 hrs that working 7am to 4 pm.

Comment

Equipment: Hydrosurgs, cage dryers, stand dryers, H.V. dryers, Basic table, No clipper vac, No Groomer's Helper
        Years Exp: >1 year
        Dogs per day: Full Groom 4-6 Depending on temperment and condition
        Bath and Touch up 6 Depending on temperment and condition
        Bath only 7+ depending on condition and temperment

When I first started I did 1 or 2 grooms a day after I graduated from being "just a bather" I depended on the help, knowledge, and experience of the other groomers in the shop. I never went to school. I learn better from experiance and rote. I am very luck to have great groomers who know their stuff to work with.

Comment

I've been grooming for over 30 years. How many dogs I can groom in 8 hours depends on the dogs. I can do 8 "little white dogs" in about 6 hours. I can do 8 Schnauzers in 4 1/2 hours if they're on a regular schedual. On the other hand, I can do only 3 standard Poodles in an 8 hour day, because they wear me out.

Equipment? Aside from the basics, I have a Groomer's Helper. I have a K9II and a Challengair dryer, several small cage dryers (no heat on all but 1) and a bunch of fans. I also have a bunch of microfiber towels, which help to cut down on drying time a great deal. I have a Dremel for nails.

I don't have a clipper vac or a bathing system. Don't really want the first, and still debating the second.

My grooming room has a very large ceiling vent with an equally large fan to exhaust hot, humid air. Weather permitting, I also set a small fan in the open window. I have a Sear's Craftsman rolling tool chest that keeps everything at my fingertips, except for my clippers and Dremel, which hang on hooks on the wall. But they're still at my fingertips, lol.

Comment

I have been grooming for about 1 year (including as a bather/apprentice) and the shop I work at has nothing fancy at all. We have a metro HV (1) and an OLD Endemco stand dryer (we don't even use) and a two challengair dryers. One electric table (which my boss uses), no groomers helpers, no bathing system, no clipper vac. :'(

I can comfortably do 5 - 6 dogs (full grooms) a day (depending on type/condition/behavior), but I have done as many as 8. This does not include bath dogs OR attending to the kennel, but I work 10 hours a day.

Comment

like others, depends on the dogs...
              2 years from feb, most dogs a day has been 13 dogs in 8 hours. last week i had two days that i did 10 dogs and that was from like 9 to 4 no breaks or lunchs, i would rather go home early... i know some of those dogs were feet face and tail, three malteses and a yorkie, some haircuts mostly #7 or #4s around here. dog shampoo in a bottle and a velocity dryer.
              i have to say that when i came back from school i was scared to even do 3 or 4 dogs aday, it took me the whole 3 hours to shave down a shih tzu.. but forcing myself to do one more dog a day each week.. 3-4 dogs a day for one week, then adding one more dog.. 4-5 a day for a week and so on. i was able to do my 8 dogs in 8 hours at the petsomething. then the next shop i was at, the system that was working great there, let me even do more dogs but we did not bath the dogs we had a bather. that helped me pick up my speed. at the petsomething, you had three dogs that came in at one time and about 3 hours to do them. so i gave myself a time limit on each one. that helped too..
              3 dogs, 3 hours. 15 mins to prep in each one, 15 mins to bath and dry each one, 30 mins to finish groom each one. so 1 1/2 hours of prep and bath/dry. so first dog was done at the 2 hour mark, next dog was done at the 2 1/2 hour mark, and last dog was done at the 3 hour mark, and 2 more dogs came in, did the same and got my lunch in there. and so on.

Comment

Nothing fancy here either altho the boss did just order us an electric table. We dry using a combo of a master blaster, fans and stand dryers. No bathing system or clipper vac. I like to do seven or eight a day and can do twelve to fifteen if there are at least four or five baths in the mix.

Lisa

Comment

duh, forgot I've been grooming for about five years

Lisa

Comment

Grooming part-time 3 years, full time 1 year.

8-10 dogs per day.

Usually 6 full grooms and the rest bath/pads/nails/ears. Somedays that is pushing it though.

I use a clippervac and a Challenair 850. Have fans and one small dryer for a cage attachment.

Comment

Toys and Dogs?

Well, I guess it really depends on the dogs (shave downs or styling)... and If you have all the gadgets or just the basics...

With a bather, and all the gadgets...15 is an easy number, and that's Bichons, Poodles, Shih-and a variety of mixed similar, with maybe a Standard Poo in there too and other fluffy dogs, no bath dogs..

in my mobile...I've done as many as 10 in an 8 hour day...not that I want to work that hard...I like to stop at 4 to 5 stops, but of course that doesn't mean just 1 dog per stop...
                      example ...today first stop was 2 Bichons, second stop a Shih-tzu and a Beagle (de-shed), third stop was a Maltese/Bichon cross, forth stop with a half hour drive...another Bichon... first stop was at 6AM, finished last dog at 10:30 and that included the half hour drive...from third to fourth stop (the others were across the street or next door)...everybody was a fluffy, except the de-shed...#0-ish and scissored legs.... but that's easy for me...
                      It takes me way longer to do a shave down.

Yes I have all the goodies (iVac, CV, BB, HV-Kool dry, Stand dryer, MM-towels, scissors that do all kinds of things....)

How long have I been grooming? Way too long...(41 years...so I work smarter not harder)

Comment

I've been grooming 8 years.

Also it depends on the dogs on how many I can do. I've done up to 24 by myself in a one day and finished at 4pm started at 8pm.

Andis clippers Ultra Edge Special Edition.

No GH or bathing system and no Clipper Vac.

I've used a bathing system before but didn't like it. It didn't get the dogs nearly as clean as pouring on diluted shampoo. (Yes I would scrub the dogs) A few of the other groomers I worked with didn't like the systems either. So we put pumps in the shampoos and did it the regular way.

I use a K9II dryer, love it.
                        Becky

Comment

Nothing at all fancy here. I have a home made grooming table, an old stainless steel sink/tub that was given to me and my Dad made it so it would work as a tub. No cv, no bathing system and regular old bath towels.

I have a Double K animal dryer for my HV, and Oster stand dryer, which I will also use as a cage dryer if I need it, I also have one box fan that I use once in awhile.

My newest piece of equipment would be the GH.

I have groomed for about 14yrs and I can do up to 10 dogs, but I don't. I will groom 4 dogs a day, don't want to do any more than that unless I have a couple of just b/b dogs. I work alone.
                          "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                          Diane

Comment

I can do 10-12 per day I work from 9-3:30, but I have people who wash and dry, during xmas I've been known to do 20+ , with extended hours. These are full grooms , maybe a shave down or 2. I've been grooming about 10 years.

Comment

4 dogs a day maybe. Lots of toys

Been grooming almost 3 years.

Homemade recirc bathing system with the Hanvey hose. Absorber dryer cloths.
                              Circuiteer II HV dryer. 2 metro dryers. 2 stand dryers.

Homemade hydaulic table made from a salon chair, with heavy duty pipe & chains across the top to secure the dogs. It's nice that it can be rotated. I use that much more than the up & down part.

Apprenticed w/o Clipper Vac. I got one because of this board. I am turtle slow w/o it.
                              Oster turbo clippers. Oster blades.
                              Fromm & monk shears.
                              LePooch slicker- got this in Atlanta. They have flexing heads. Soooo cool!

I store my tools in a wood TV cabinet I got at Goodwill.

Stool on wheels to sit on.

Erica

Comment

Working...
                              X