Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

poodle that's NOT a poodle... ever seen that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poodle that's NOT a poodle... ever seen that?

So this guy comes into my shop with a four-month-old female toy poodle.
    Supposedly, a poodle. Wish I took pics of it. He said "I never would have thought I would own a poodle but I thought she was so cool looking I had to have her". MY LORD !!! Don't even want to KNOW how much he paid for THAT "doggie in the window".
    He said that the mom was 4 lbs. and the dad was 8 lbs. ( who knows how they know that in pet stores, you know?? ) and that the dog was not to get over max 8 lbs. At FOUR MONTHS OF AGE, the dog was already about
    8 lbs !! I know this because my Chihuahua felt no different, and he's bordering 8 lbs.

So... let me explain what this "dog" looked like...

Kinda like a german shepherd... kinda curly, black coat with tan and white markings... feet tan, chest white. When I table dried the dog, it came out VERY STRAIGHT !! Not at all poofy. I have an actual poodle the same age that comes in and the hair is VERY different !! The dog just looked GOOFY when I finished with her. Did clean feet with the grain ( as requested ) and clean face ( as requested ) and the ears weren't even like poodle ears... they were more "terrier" - ish. looked messy when they were left poodle-ish.

I didn't feel comfortable telling the guy that it's NOT a poodle. I have a door open so people can watch me groom and I polled various people that day and when I told them that it's a poodle EVERYONE looked confused.

Anyway...
    I know I don't have a pic... but any thoughts on this?

Michelle in NJ

That happens all the time were we are. There is a breeder who registers all kinds of pets who are not what they should be. Pretty much here almost everything has something in the wood pile.

Comment

mixed with a chihuahua?? Who knows...I had one girl come in with her mother and her mother's dog. To me the dog looked like a mismarked Samoyd, the daughter said NO! It ALL WOLF!! A no....

Well the next week the daughter calls with an emergency groom...someone hacked her toy poodle (mind you she bragged how she groomed her toy poodle at home and it is easy peasy...)
      In walks daughter with not a tiny toy poodle but a 40 lbs cock-a-poo...yup her price went up!! (And it was shaved patchy with a #10, she left the left and ears a solid pelt...sigh...so easy..)

Comment

I got an interesting tidbit of information at Groom Classic I didn't know before.... Y'all probably have these, too... The "registered Shih Tzu" that is the size and structure of a Lhasa?? Well, it turns out that Lhasas tend to have larger litters of puppies than Shih Tzus. So a lot of the Puppy Mills will breed a male Shih Tzu to a female Lhasa in order to produce more puppies at a time. So most pet store "Shih Tzus" are actually half Lhasa.

Comment

Originally posted by k9stylist1968 View Post
          I got an interesting tidbit of information at Groom Classic I didn't know before.... Y'all probably have these, too... The "registered Shih Tzu" that is the size and structure of a Lhasa?? Well, it turns out that Lhasas tend to have larger litters of puppies than Shih Tzus. So a lot of the Puppy Mills will breed a male Shih Tzu to a female Lhasa in order to produce more puppies at a time. So most pet store "Shih Tzus" are actually half Lhasa.
          Gee, I wonder what their excuse is for all the Yorkies that are at least half Silky? I groom a couple that are probably close to being all Silky.

Comment

Could it have been a poor quality phantom poodle?

Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
              Gee, I wonder what their excuse is for all the Yorkies that are at least half Silky? I groom a couple that are probably close to being all Silky.
              Probably the same.... Since Silkies are slightly larger, they probably have a few more pups or "free-whelp", rather than requiring C-Sections.

Comment

Originally posted by lvdobes View Post
                Could it have been a poor quality phantom poodle?

Lisa
                I was kinda thinking the same thing. Went back and read the original post again, and realized we're talking about a puppy that doesn't have adult coat yet. Definately a possibility it's a poor quality phantom poodle. Or maybe even a mediocre quality poodle pup. Only time will tell what the coat's going to be like when it comes in.

Comment

That is what I'm thinking phantom poodle maybe. A 4 month old poodle puppy can have a pretty ****** coat. But I am with ya on the half lhasa theory I do a shih-tzu that I believe is half pekenese.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                    I was kinda thinking the same thing. Went back and read the original post again, and realized we're talking about a puppy that doesn't have adult coat yet. Definately a possibility it's a poor quality phantom poodle. Or maybe even a mediocre quality poodle pup. Only time will tell what the coat's going to be like when it comes in.
                    Now what exactly is a "phantom poodle" ?? and there are different grades of them? Let me tell you... that was NO toy poodle. The dog's probably going to be about 15 lbs full grown. Sad.

Comment

a lot of times the have almost ghostly dobbie markings. The puppies usually have darker hair towards the skin and lighter hair towards the tips, really thin almost strait hair (at least the mediocre quality ones) and almost resemble some lhasa's (just in coat color). I am not sure if they are an excepted color or not (not spun up anymore). Maybe this helps. Hey guys, am I off base?

Comment

A phantom is a color variation of a poodle...genetically they suspect it came from the portuguese water dog ancestry. Phantoms, like parti colored cockers can be marked in whicever manner. You will often see patterns ranging from 'color pointed brows' feet, blazes, irish style markings etc. The color type is not recognized as a 'showable' color variation therefore isnt at all popular with show breeders but with the new 'designer' craze, they are the new flavour du jour.....

Comment

Check out the different colors on this site. Phantoms are about half way down the page.

wyciwyg://0/http://qtpawzpoodles.tripod.com/poodlecolors.html

Comment

I've seen the same thing with "maltese" They look more like Bichons with a little bit of maltese in them! When they are little pups people can't really tell but their little dog that is supposed to be 7 pounds grows up into a 20 pound curly dog!
                            Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Working...
                            X