Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adventures in Doggy Daycare show... seen it??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventures in Doggy Daycare show... seen it??

Just wondering if any of you caught that show ( was on WE channel at 9:30pm last night ) They had a grooming segment for the full half hour.
    I was "ripping my hair out" so to speak watching as they had NO GROOMER'S HELPER TOOL and were pinning dogs down on the table to do the face !!
    Gotta love how the girl said that she'd been bitten countless times and scratched, etc. Didn't see much by way of marks.
    All I can say is i'm VERY thankful for my GH and for my years of volunteering at an all volunteer based shelter with difficult to place dogs. Incredibly invaluable experience, to say the least. I'm not afraid to call myself a "very dog savvy person" when someone says they have a difficult dog.

Anyway...
    Just wondering your thoughts if anyone caught that show.
    My husband was like "should I change the channel" and I was like
    "no, no, it's almost over".

Thoughts?

Michelle in NJ

Pinning dogs down to do their faces? Well, if the face NEEDED to be done, and the dog only has trouble with its face, then yes, I would do it---with the VETS OR VET TECHS HOLDING THE DOG DOWN, but not a couple of groomers, etc. If the dog wouldn't allow me to do its face, then it's not going to get done without either sedation, or someone who is medically experienced to handle an emergency if the dog freaked.

But the face (eye area scooped) has to be done.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

matted cockapoo

Yes, the woman refused to get him done oftener than twice a year, going on about how the owners like him long and fluffy. They needed to get across to her that the only way he was gonna be long and fluffy was if he came in every 4 weeks.
      I would not have struggled as they did to shave the dog's face, but then I work at a vet's and sedation is available when necessary.
      Deidre

Comment

uhhh..yeah...

I did watch that last night. It was by pure accident. I was not impressed with it. I wonder how they plan on keeping that labradoodle from getting matted up since they didn't brush it? I love their facility, very ritzy, but also very caotic.

Comment

Chaotic shops and dogs don't mix well, IMO.

Tammy in Utah
          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Boy, I love TIVO. I read this thread, checked my listings and its on tomorrow night so it will now be recorded for me. Gotta love technology.

Comment

Quite frankly, I was appalled. Serious safety violations. Not only did they have that poor dog pinned inappropriately, but the groomer had her face right in the dog's face while they were pinning it. No one should ever, EVER put their face that close to a restrained dog's face. That's just a bite waiting to happen.

Also, I noticed someone scruffing a large dog in the middle of an altercation between two (or more) dogs in the play area. That's another good way to get bitten. The play groups seemed waaaay to large, and waaaay to chaotic to be safe.

And who holds on to a dogs front paws when it jumps on them, but tells them to get off?

I won't even go into grooming techniques.

I was appalled.

Comment

Imagine if you were filmed all day at work!!! I am a safety/clean freak, but, I'm sure over the course of filming a week to get 30 minutes of airtime I'd have a lot of critics too. I didn't see the show but now am going to look for it!

Comment

Is this going to be a weekly show or was it just a one-time show?

Also, what is the WE channel?

Comment

I was not to happy about that either. I understand that we only saw part of their day, but the first thing i was thinking is to get the number of the daycare and call with some usefull info for the groomers. I connot beleive how that grooming was done. I also beleive it was very chatic there.
                    What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

i wish i could watch this - but have very limited cable!!! :-(

Comment

WE is womens entertainment.
                        yes i watched this show last week...i think its a weekly thing what i watched last week was totally diffrent. well she did say they did get an average of..i think over 100 dogs a day for the daycare? but what i DID like about the show was that while the play groups seemed larger they did have more than one person back there...i think there was at least 2 or 3...but they did have a part where the people picked up their dogs and they had to get the dogs out from the back, clean the feet off, and i think they wiped the paws with something? not sure...dont remember...and bring them out front. all in 3 minutes. LOL! but they did have a seperate section for dogs to take a nap...then they cleaned while the dogs where napping...a seperate little puppy section...i remember new owners brought in their morkie...and wanted her groomed and daycare. well they put her in a crate to get used to the noise, tried introducing her to the other puppies, she was scared, took her back out (they didnt put her in with the other pups (maybe 5 or 6?)) and put her back in the crate and tried again later. then she got a bath. personally i thought that it was a nicely run shop...alot of the dogs where pulling to get inside the shop. it seemed well run...a little chaotic but when your offering many diffrent services (retail, daycare, grooming,training)....i liked how the shop was set up also.
                        jmo...i only watched it once though.
                        Hound

Comment

I saw the chimerical and set a reminder on the cable box to watch it. "Honey that are going to do one of those mutts.One of those Laberdoodle things that I hate grooming because people don't know what they want Lets see what they do""Ya know how some people get all rilled up while watching sports? Same here I was yelling at the T.V. for a solid 1/2 hour. Screaming "stop coddling that idiot[ explitive deleted] owner!!" "How dare you say what not to do to my dog!!!! You [expletives deleted!!!!!!] You dog was probibly matted take care of your dog you [expletives deleted]" "Why are your [expletive deleted] kids dictating what the dog looks like. You are abusing you dog by letting your dog get like that!!!!!"

My blood pressure is too high to watch that again. (happy thoiughts happy thoughs) http://www.petgroomerforums.com/chat...nkrolleyes.gif
                          Pink Roll Eyes
                          I did make a few assumptions about clients from what I saw.
                          Last edited by Shei77; 04-16-07, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Also, I noticed someone scruffing a large dog in the middle of an altercation between two (or more) dogs in the play area. That's another good way to get bitten. The play groups seemed waaaay to large, and waaaay to chaotic to be safe.

And who holds on to a dogs front paws when it jumps on them, but tells them to get off?

I pointed those two things out to my husband as we watched the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Shei77 View Post
                              I saw the chimerical and set a reminder on the cable box to watch it. "Honey that are going to do one of those mutts.One of those Laberdoodle things that I hate grooming because people don't know what they want Lets see what they do""Ya know how some people get all rilled up while watching sports? Same here I was yelling at the T.V. for a solid 1/2 hour. Screaming "stop coddling that idiot[ explitive deleted] owner!!" "How dare you say what not to do to my dog!!!! You [expletives deleted!!!!!!] You dog was probibly matted take care of your dog you [expletives deleted]" "Why are your [expletive deleted] kids dictating what the dog looks like. You are abusing you dog by letting your dog get like that!!!!!"

My blood pressure is too high to watch that again. (happy thoiughts happy thoughs) http://www.petgroomerforums.com/chat...nkrolleyes.gif
                              Pink Roll Eyes
                              I did make a few assumptions about clients from what I saw.
                              MY DEAR LORD !!! Now DON'T get me started here. haha.
                              Speaking of Labradoodles... I had one just today... he's the ONLY
                              dog I do on any one particular day... the owner wants him "just so" with NO shaving down and she says "but I brush him every day!" Well, she's NOT brushing him properly and he went home after 4 1/2 hours with matts left in the chest and the back hip area. The husband was with her and he agreed to have the dog shaved down to start over for next time. AAAHHHHHH !!! What a relief !! The darned dog drives me to DRINK !!
                              I'll take a straight-coated Labradoodle or a wavy-coated Goldendoodle ANY DAY over the curly coated MESSES that come my way !!
                              Anyhooo.... time for bed !!
                              Aahhh... yet another day of ripping my hair out !! haha.
                              Blood pressure problems... yeah, i'm with ya, sista !!

Comment

Working...
                              X