Just wanted to let everyone know how I did

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wanted to let everyone know how I did

I took my 7 month old standard poodle to her first show on friday and saturday. Friday was a B match and she place first in her breed and fourth in the group. Then on Satruday She won best female puppy. I was confronted by another poodle owner who wan't even showing against me and told me that the judge would probably disquiafy me from the ring because she was not in the proper cut. Well when I got her the breeder had already shaved her once and so we are working on growing her hair back out. I told her this and she said I should wait to show her then until her coat is full grown. She was not very nice about it at all. Then another lady I over heard her say, "I can not beleive she brought that puppy for an open match." I always knew that some dog show people can be rude, I really just didn't excpect with having such a young puppy. Oh well I still did well and that is all that matters. I also had fun.

Talk to everyone later.

I can't believe that woman was so blatantly rude to you. If I'd have had a second to realize it, I would have responded, "Must not be too bad, she took FIRST PLACE for her breed." It sounds like the typical, "Make myself feel better by putting someone else down" situation.

The other woman whom you overheard---why would she say that? What is an "open" match? I have never been to a dog show before, so I am clueless about this. If it's so unbelievable, you would not have done so well! I hope you know that!

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

First of all, just let me say, "Congratulations!". You did extremely well. The poodle competition always looks very tough. You should be very proud.

There are some very rude people out there, especially anywhere where there is competition involved. It's very frustrating and pretty sad. I always thought that the whole purpose of showing was to better the breed because of the love of a breed. You'd think people would be supportive, if that is indeed the case. People say breeders are in it for the love of the dog, but sometimes they just don't show it, do they?

I think you really have to have a thick skin when it comes to the world of showing. I know I couldn't do it because I take everything personally.

That being said..."you go girl!". Don't let a few rude people stop you. It sounds like you're off to a good start.
      don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Dog shows

I'm sorry that you had to deal with such a small person.
        When I first started showing dogs, I thought to myself " Gee, this will be a fun, and relaxing way to spend my weekends!" No way Jose'!!! Some, not all, show people walk around with a chip on their shoulders. I also met some really great folks. But, it is nothing close to relaxing. I always did well wth my dogs, and would have liked to continue to show. I opted to put it off for a few years, until I get my shop where I want it.
        I hope that you continue to show, and find a great group of people to hang with. Some of them are more then happy to help, and cheer you on.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Annette, who's very graciously allowed to live with the dogs.

Comment

Congratulations

Way to GO!! If you and your pup had a good time and you even had some placements you have accomplished alot for the both of you.

Showing dogs requires a very thick skin. Especially once you begin to win with any consistancy. A good rule of is to watch and listen but keep the mouth closed except for honest questions. Sadly many people have not heard of this rule - maybe because they were to busy yapping

Find yourself a good mentor that will help guide you. Watch out for the UNmentor(s) that only wants to take your money and show your dog.

If your trim was out of sorts I don't think that you would have placed. I have shown extremely cut back dogs at matches while I was waiting for them to mature out or finish a coat change.

Comment

maybe they were just jealous and insecure .... if they weren't worried about your puppy looking so good they wouldn't have said anything.

Comment

The whole 'thick skin' and showing thing is so true, I too take things personally and at Maggies first show she took best puppy in breed and my friend overheard a woman saying 'well THAT shouldn't have won, its FAT'. Um hello, this was her 1st show she was 6 months old and had a little 'puppy fat', wonder why they call it that? doh! The judge came to us and congratulated us and said she loved the weight Maggie was at, it was correct and she couldn't do with this fad fashion exhibitors are having with mini schnauzers resembling hat racks!(had to chuckle at that one) I wouldn't listen they are insecure and don't want to encourage anyone that will stand as competition to them (you will find yourself beating these people) Just keep up the good work and you and your girl have fun, Nicky x

Comment

Congrats!! Did you have fun? Did your dog have fun? That is what matters. I have not shown dogs but I used to show horses in English hunt seat and know what those types of people can be like. Smile, nod your head and then forget what they said. If I am feeling particularly snarky I'll thank them for their most valuble advice or ask them if they are having a bad day. You know why you are in the ring.

Comment

First of all congratulations, on winning a puppy match. Don't worry about your dog not having the right cut for a puppy match, the dog is there to practice. And so are you. That is why they call it a fun match. And I seriously doubt your dog would get a puppy group 4 if the trim was that bad. The B match is there to help you learn and your puppy to get used to being at a dog show. Not to look flawless. So maybe you can get someone there to help you with your dogs trim. Shoot you can even email me some pics and I can help you get it right. Dog shows are vicious, when you get talked about, it is just jealousy ~you should feel good knowing they are jealous or scared lol.

Comment

We used to show our spoo, some people were nasty some nice. Now we are seriously considering adding a yorkie to our family (this would make yorkie #3) but for show...well some breeders are NASTY, espeically a few in my area. It just goes to show those that are worried about the competiton and mean spirited will try to put you down to make themselves feel better.

Be the better perosn, remember that moment and grow from it.

Comment

Originally posted by perrypooh View Post
                      The whole 'thick skin' and showing thing is so true, I too take things personally and at Maggies first show she took best puppy in breed and my friend overheard a woman saying 'well THAT shouldn't have won, its FAT'. Um hello, this was her 1st show she was 6 months old and had a little 'puppy fat', wonder why they call it that? doh! The judge came to us and congratulated us and said she loved the weight Maggie was at, it was correct and she couldn't do with this fad fashion exhibitors are having with mini schnauzers resembling hat racks!(had to chuckle at that one) I wouldn't listen they are insecure and don't want to encourage anyone that will stand as competition to them (you will find yourself beating these people) Just keep up the good work and you and your girl have fun, Nicky x
                      Those are the kinds of comments that drive a pup to anorexia. I got a visual of that poor little puppy getting lipo.

But seriously, there are people all over the place that will try to bring you down. These kinds of people will live angry and bitter, and thats fine with me.

Comment

Competition doesn't tend to bring out the best in people. It's no different in the horse world or the cat fancy. If you want to keep enjoying showing you need to be very careful not to get involved in that kind of talk. Best of luck to you and your pup!

Comment

jealous competitors

Try showing rabbits. In most parts of the country, particularly the SE US, the breeders are friendly and helpful, and happy for you when you win.
                          I was at one show where a long time top breeder got snippy when his BIS winning mini rex were beaten by a local small breeder. He was griping around and wanting to file a protest.
                          I grabbed him and dragged him away and gave him a good talking to.
                          He went over and congratulated the breeder,a nd has behaved himself ever since.
                          PEo0ple will share what they feed, how they groom, breeding strategies, treating illnesses and injuries (95% of vets are clueless with rabbits and determined to charge 300 for minor treatments on a 20 rabbit.).
                          I showed dogs for 20 years, rabbits for 14.
                          If I don't come to a show, people email and call to make sure nothing is wrong. I recently went to a show in Alabama rather than NC, had a dozen people inquiring, and heard that lots more were asking at the show, where I was.
                          What makes me feel great about this, is I am number one in the country in my breed and do an inordinate amount of winning with my animals, but am genuinely happy for other breeders when they win, sell them outstanding animals which frequently beat me, give the judges a great hard time, till they are laughing too hard to finish the class, you can always spot my breed's judging table as that is where all the fun is happening.
                          Deidre

Comment

I overheard my boss recently after a particularly successful show weekend that the better you do, the more angry people will be at you and the more backstabbing they will do. So in that case, take them as compliments!
                            Congrats!

Comment

Congrats on your win!

Matches, as has been said, are just for fun and practice. Even the judges are usually not licensed, or at least not in the breeds they are judging on that day. There are people out there who think a match win is comparable to a licensed show win. They generally only show up at a match, and then will brag on what a great dog they have because it won something. Funny, how you never see this 'winner' at a point show. They will even use these wins to advertise puppies for sale, etc.

I hope you had fun with your puppy. That is what it's all about. It's sad that competition seems to draw out the worst in some people. Just do your own thing, learn as much as you can. The more people see you in the ring, and trying to learn, the more they will open up to you as they see you are serious about this sport. You'll always lose more than you win, but do it graciously. That goes for winning as well as losing. The only opinion that counts is the judge's afterall.
                              Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X