No announcement yet.

When they try to pull a fast one.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When they try to pull a fast one.......

Last wk I was booked on sat and had a call about "squeezing in a maltese". I explained I was booked for that day, but we could set her up an appt. for another day...she declined, she HAD to have that day of course...

So today I get a call......I know its the same woman. She says "can you quickly just give my maltese a bath today?" I figure I can squeeze in a bath, no problem, and tell her as long as the dog is in good condition and its JUST a bath/neaten. That I do not have time for a full haircut, as I was already booked.

So of course the hubby walks in w/ a solid matted maltese, in horrible condition. There is NO way she couldnt have known this dog was matted LOL. I sent him home w/ the dog and told him there was no way I had time to do her today, and that I had discussed this wife on the phone, but we could set up an appt. He said he would go home & talk to his wife.......I never did get a call from them, shes probably upset I didnt take the dog in, or she will call NEXT saturday again LOL

You know, I think that when a person intentionally misleads you, like this person apparently did, what more can you do? I think that sending the dog home is what I would have done, if I wasn't too chicken, lol. I think we must always respect our clients, but I think it is only fair that they respect us as well. We can only humanly do so much in one day, sometimes I feel like I don't know how to communicate that part of grooming to clients.

I have had a client feel bad because I didn't fit in Fluffy for that day, taking it personally. I call the person back and explain, it's not that I don't want to do Fluffy, it's just that I am physically only capable of grooming so many animals in one day.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

i have a nice man like this with 2 poms,he always calls on saturday,in the afternoon,wanting to get his poms in that day,so a few times i had time to do them but i did tell him this was rare for a sat,so the last 3 sat that hes called i cant fit him in and ask do you want me to put you down for next sat,no thanks,but he will call the next sat,i dont know whats wrong with him,but it drives me batty

Comment

lol I would've taken it but told them it would be finished LAST and then I would charge an extra $XX matted dog fee. If it had fleas, that would be another $XX flea bath.

Comment

I get ticked off cause people want to know how late I am open cause they get off at 5pm...(well guys I get off at 4:30pm (at least I try my best) cause my kids are in daycare 30mins away)
          Then get offended when I tell them 12pm is the absolute latest.

Comment

I also have a Goldendoodle owner who refuses to make an appt. She's called the last 3 Saturdays for an appt. that day, and each time I tell her I'm booked but I can book her for the following Sat. Each time she declines but then faithfully calls the next weekend and of course I'm booked by then. And her dog is always a big mess...and crazy for grooming.

On a side note, I am seriously considering not taking Goldendoodles anymore. Their coats are horribly thick and they are usually a matted mess. It's just way too much for me.

Comment

I hate the lie "Can you fit Fluff in for just a bath? That's all he needs, just a bath." and then when Fluff is sitting in front of you, it's "While he's here, can you trim him up just a little?"

But what's worse than that are the people who call for an appointment, are told they'll have to make one for next week, then call back and book an overnight stay in the kennel. When they drop Phydough off for boarding, they insist he has to be groomed before they pick him up. And the boss never says "No. Sorry, but the groomer is full up." Her policy seems to be that boarding dogs can get groomed, even if I'm booked to my eyeballs.

Comment

Some people just don't get it. I have a lady who brings her 2 sheepdogs to me; they're not in bad shape & well behaved, but she always calls & needs a specific time 2 days from the day she calls. I usually can't fit the dogs in, so she gets pissy, says she'll get back to me, and does the same friggin' thing. And of course they have to be done together. Now I can't get them both in until the 29th, and she's mad, but still won't book them. Hoping at this point she finds someone else. And yeah, I hate when someone books for "just a bath" and when they hand the dog to you it's " we'd like her shaved too". Grrr!

Comment

It really irritated me.....I had promised my 2 sons I would take them somewhere right after closing so I wasnt going to have them miss out because of her dog. It was a new client so I didnt know what to expect. It just really ticked me off. I did explain that I couldnt even just give that dog a bath with how matted it was, etc etc. I was very polite about it and Im sure he could see how busy I was, so we'll see. I have a no walk-in policy, especially on saturdays. At least till I can hire another groomer. Some people! LOL.

Comment

I'm always leary when people say Bath & Brush on "haircut" breeds. I have sometimes told clients on the phone, "I'll work their dog in today but if you walk in and the dog is alot more work than I anticiapte, I may have to send you away" !! lol The one that makes me laugh is the people that tell me, "My dog doesn't need a haircut -- just shave him down" ! Well, duh?!

Comment

I don't "squeeze" people in anymore, or do I open early or stay late for customers. I learned my lessons long ago. It's the people you are always bending for that jump ship the first time you can't accomadate their requests.I have repect for my clients and value thier business, but, if I "let" them bend the shop rules I am telling them my time is worth nothing. Now if someone comes in and says "I need my dog done asap (it's usually only 2.5 hours anyway) I have an appt to get to, I charge for an express groom, just like the big corps do! Why should privately owned grooming shops make exceptions for people when corps do not. I find the more strict I am with appt times and customers the more they repect my time and business.

Comment

Originally posted by pugnacious View Post
                        "My dog doesn't need a haircut -- just shave him down" ! Well, duh?!
                        More like, "My dog doesn't need A haircut, he needs ALL of them cut." LOL

Tammy in Utah
                        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by pugnacious View Post
                          I'm always leary when people say Bath & Brush on "haircut" breeds. I have sometimes told clients on the phone, "I'll work their dog in today but if you walk in and the dog is alot more work than I anticiapte, I may have to send you away" !! lol The one that makes me laugh is the people that tell me, "My dog doesn't need a haircut -- just shave him down" ! Well, duh?!
                          I was just saying the same thing last week about haircut dogs needing baths. If a customer calls me, whose "haircut" dog I haven't seen in months, and supposedly just wants a bath, I always assume it's going to be a haircut and make sure I have adequate time before I book it. 9 times out of 10 the dog comes in a matted mess and needs to be shaved down.

Comment

Working...
                          X