Fessing Up (a little long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fessing Up (a little long)

I'm ready to fess up about the biggest boo-boo I made.

A few weeks ago I was grooming a small poodle that hadn't been groomed for 3 months. By the time I fluff dried that dog, the coat was so huge I could hardly find it. I toiled away and, of course, I was grouchy (1st mistake) and I was rushing (2nd mistake).

I was surrounded by clippers and blades and snap on combs as I needed full paraphanelia (sp) to get through this one. Since I'm mobile, it was all there on my tiny table top in a jumble.

Just as I'm about to finish...all lookin good, I decide to clip one more time (3rd mistake). I proceed to pick up the clipper with the 30 blade and make a big hole on the back of this black poodle. AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!

I'm laughing now but at the time, my heart just sank into the ground. I tried to disguise it the best I could but there it was. As I brought the dog onto the house, I felt sick inside. I explained to the owners the best I could...the wife was gracious, the husband, not so understanding. I told them it's only hair- loddy, doodle, dah, it'll grow back. I then gave them a cheaper price and then took 20% off. Believe, me they got a bargain and I worked like a dog (pardon the pun). Then I had to clean up the mess in the van. I was so pissed at myself for making such a careless mistake.

Now, I've confessed. Anybody else want to share?
    www.gomobileandsucceed.com
    http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

I have done this before too. Usually when I'm using a 4, 5 or 7 blade and switching back & forth with a 10 to do tuck ups and sanitary's. And it's almost always been when I was in a hurry. Nothing like making the situation worse huh? Aaaaahhhhhh!

Comment

My big boo boo was this: Two toy black poodles, one in a straight Miami, other in a Miami with bracelets. I was running late. Took first poodle, groomed him quickly as he's a biter. Take second dog, I always start at rear of dog and work my way up to head; I take the #4 blade and ZIP! straight down the rear leg and realized I forgot about his bracelets! Once one is gone, have to shave the other three. Owners were very understanding, but I wanted to kick myself.

Lisa
      Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

Years ago (but I still remember the horror) I was grooming a little poodle who for it's whole life always had a summer cut; tk, poms on legs & tail, 7 body. ne how, I'm thinking of something else and zip, off goes one pom. The owners were really unhappy, but came back. For the next 4 yrs though they always reminded me to not shave them off. I guess I deserved that though,lol.

Comment

I could tell you to slow down but that doesnt help in this career. Get yourself a Sharpie marker, or use nail polish to wright down the blade number on the back of the blade.
          Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

Been there. I was working on a very bad dog and trying to get rid of some matting. He was behaving and I hurried up and grabbed the clippers and went right for the head between the ears..... Well it was a 30 blade. I could have died. I was laughing and crying at the same time. So when the customer comes all she says is well I wanted him short so that would have worked. I said not that short. She paid be anyway when I tired to give her a discount she said she knew how bad he was and wouldn't take it. But now no matter how stressed I am I double check.......

Comment

Originally posted by stacie-gotg View Post
              I could tell you to slow down but that doesnt help in this career. Get yourself a Sharpie marker, or use nail polish to wright down the blade number on the back of the blade.
              LOVE this idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Thanx!
              www.gomobileandsucceed.com
              http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Ive done this before too, with a 40. I dont think marking the blade is going to solve anything, seeing as not paying attention to the blade at all is the problem. The woman I apprenticed with was always telling me that every time I put my clipper down and pick it back up, check my blade. I had to make a handful of those mistakes to finally burn it into my brain.

Comment

I've done it too. I'm sure most of us have done it at least once, if we're lucky.

I like the idea of using a marker or nail polish to write the # of the blade on the back. I have some old Oster blades (maybe they are still same way) that has the # on them that are printed sooooo small it is really hard to read, that is one of the reasons I've gone to Wahl and Andis blades, I can read the #, they are printed on nice and BIG.
                  "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                  Diane

Comment

I did it with a poodle not long ago. Mine was a brain cramp. Using a 30 under a comb, went to switch combs...took the comb off...didn't put the new comb on. Nothing to fix that exept a kick in the head.

Comment

I hit my stuff with a quick spritz of different color spray paints. With my horseriding tack, people kept stealing my crop so I painted it a very shiny gold, NO ONE wanted that thing and I was not embarassed at all!

Comment

ROFL, I love these stories but hate that sinking feeling when I "OOPS" like that.

The sharpie idea wouldn't work for me, as I always check the blade before putting it on the clipper. MY problem is that I am in the middle of clipping something short, like a sanitary or scooping the eyes, and then I get interrupted with a phone call or a client wanting to ask some questions. When I am done, I turn around and pick up my clipper and run it down the shoulder of the dog (true story). I HATE that!

My former boss uses two clippers. One is her "#10 blade clipper" where she does all her #10 work, while the other clipper is for everything else.

And FUR ELITE, I have dreaded dreaded dreaded doing what you did---I take my #40 blade COMPLETELY OFF my clipper every time I set it down. That's the kind of "short" I DON'T want to go! LOL

Tammy in Utah
                        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by SiotehCat View Post
                          Ive done this before too, with a 40. I dont think marking the blade is going to solve anything, seeing as not paying attention to the blade at all is the problem. The woman I apprenticed with was always telling me that every time I put my clipper down and pick it back up, check my blade. I had to make a handful of those mistakes to finally burn it into my brain.
                          Yup - been there, done that!

You have to use the old - "I saw a tick and wanted to make sure it was gone" line! LOL A gal I used to work for used that line quite a few times. The clients never thought twice, even while I was laughing so hard I was crying!!

Comment

Though I'm not always 100% about it, I try taking the blade off of my clippers when I set them down.

Comment

I have never done that...till two days ago. Had a black cock-a-poo, did her in a #5f, then got interrupted, picked uo my clippers and zip, on the underside of the belly with a 40....^%&^%&(**(BH*^* I had to stop and take a breather.
                              The owner was not happy, you could not see it when she stood up but owner was not happy, I took $5 off the groom.

Next dog, big cocker, not too bad, was doing his face with a #10 (the blade was cool) and he snapped at me with no warning. But when he snapped he lunged at the clippers too, somehow I caught his eyebrow and boy did it bleed. I felt like ****!!! He never snapped the rest of the groom, very docile.
                              Owner was not surprised, to find out she told me the last groomer had to muzzle him for everything cause he was a biter...ummm I asked her if he nipped for anything and she innocently said No!! his price went up $5.

Comment

Working...
                              X