how many dogs/day???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many dogs/day???

just curious about this...this was awhile back before i started at the last groomer i worked for....now i had called a groomer around my area and asked if they happend to be looking for a bather...the recep. said that the owner wasnt in but to call back in a few days if i didnt hear from her. i said alright and called back and finally talked to the owner. she said yes perhaps she was and what was my avalibility? i told her every other weekend open avalibility during the week. she said that was fine as she boarded dogs also and rotated her girls (im assuming all her employees) around on the boarding part which was just cleaning the runs and feeding/watering the boarding dogs on the weekends. she asked me if ive had recep. experience and i said yes ive answered the phones and made appointments before she said okay thats great...and she said since they average about 50 dogs a day it could get kind of nutsy in there..did i have a problem being around that many dogs and i said no i used to work in a daycare so that many dosnt bother me. she goes alright come in for an interview such such time on such date. well needless to say i couldnt find the place...but when i mentioned it to my last boss she said 50 dogs a day no way no how! now im thinkin with multi groomers and multi bathers that this IS possible to have that many dogs in a day...now IS this possible and my last boss was just wrong in saying it wasnt?
    i dont think an established business owner is going to lie to someone over the phone about how many dogs a day they get in...
    any ideas?
    Hound

EASILY possible. The first shop I worked for had just opened and, in about 1 year's time, went from 4 dogs a day from the grand opening, to sometimes up to 70 dogs a day! We had 8 to 9 groomers, and no bathers at all except when we first opened.

Their average right now I'd say is around 50-ish, give or take a few depending on the day.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Easily possible with experienced groomers and bather/s. At the last place I worked, we had me, the experience groomer, another groomer who had just graduated from school; not so experienced, but getting there, and a part time bather. We could kick out 25-30 dogs a day without any problems.

If a shop had the right combination of groomers, assistant groomers, and bathers, they could do a hundred dogs a day without breaking a sweat.

Well, OK, they'd break a sweat, especially with summer coming. But it's doable.

Comment

okay thats what i thought...she has a receptionist who is STRICTLY a receptionist...so i thought it odd that my exboss would say that there was no way she could have 50 plus dogs a day.
        thanks guys!
        Hound

Comment

I am a home groomer working by myself I can do 12 dogs in 8 hours if I have too I prefer 6 to 7 a day.

Comment

It sounds like they run like their shop like it is explained in Problems to Profits......done in that manner, 50+ dogs a day could easily be done.
            SheilaB from SC

Comment

I was manager of the highest volume petsomething in the country and our busiest day was the Saturday before XMAS with 12 groomers and 10 bathers all working a full shift we did 307 dogs in one day!

Comment

Originally posted by furryfriends View Post
                I was manager of the highest volume petsomething in the country and our busiest day was the Saturday before XMAS with 12 groomers and 10 bathers all working a full shift we did 307 dogs in one day!
                Oh my stars, I would slit my wrists and do push-ups in the bathtub! I could not survive a day like that!

Tammy in Utah
                Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by furryfriends View Post
                  OMG!!! I just want the tips they took in that day. Sounds unbelievable but I guess if you figure 22 total employees doing 307 dogs is only about 14 dogs per person. But geez, can you imagine the noise factor. Must be a large salon just to fit the employees not to mention the dogs. I am envisioning these lines of people with dirty hairy pooches going in and clean shaved pooches with christmas scarves comming out.

We usually do 25 to 30 dogs with 2 groomers and 1 bather.

Comment

at my one shop we have two groomers, a bather that works only until the dogs are washed and dried, a receptionist who does the dogs that only need ears and nails with their bath after checking in the clients. We generally average about 25 dogs.

Comment

307 dogs!!!!

Holely-doley!!!! I too would be looking for a razor blade!!!! That's wack!!!
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Annette, who's very graciously allowed to live with the dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                        I would slit my wrists and do push-ups in the bathtub!
                        Now there is a quote I have never heard...lol. What a concept.

Comment

One year the last day before Christmas myself and one other groomer did 75 dogs in a 12 hour period. Of course there were B&B dogs along with the haircuts but it was crazy nonetheless! Honestly, that breaks down to 2 haircuts and one bath every hour. Since these dogs were all very regular clients the haircuts were easy ones. Figure in a couple shorthaired bath dogs and it really wasn't ALL that hectic. We did however, have wine coolers waiting in the refrigerator as an incentive! LOL

Comment

I don't know, I'm floored by these numbers. On a good day 2 groomers, one bather, we can do a quality 20 grooms, (some b&b's in the mix) all regulars. (4 wks or less)

But these numbers, geesh!
                            Are you all cage or fan drying? We dry with HV & stand dryers right from the tub.

Comment

Originally posted by Jengroomer View Post
                              I don't know, I'm floored by these numbers. On a good day 2 groomers, one bather, we can do a quality 20 grooms, (some b&b's in the mix) all regulars. (4 wks or less)

But these numbers, geesh!
                              Are you all cage or fan drying? We dry with HV & stand dryers right from the tub.
                              We don't cage dry any trim dogs. Huskys, Labs, goldens, shelties... will get a fan (no heat) for a while until we are ready to dry them. Haircut dogs are all toweled well and put in crates on dry towels until we are ready to dry them so that helps. We almost never dry right from the tub. Everyone gets to sit on a towel for at least a little while.

Comment

Working...
                              X