I want a Bichon Show Cut!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want a Bichon Show Cut!

I had an older gentleman bring his wife's bichon in for his first visit yesterday. The poor little dog was matted to the skin on the top part of him with big patches shaved out of him on his sides and legs. I did the standard "and what do you want me to do to Fifi today?" To which he replies, "My wife wants a Bichon Show cut." I almost died trying to keep a straight face and not laugh. I pulled out the Encyclopedia of Breeds and showed him a Bichon. I ended up taking little Fifi down with a 10 blade but managed to leave a little bit on his head and ears.

I once had a man come in with his 3 Bichons, all matted to the bone. He told me he wanted show cuts. I told him that was not possible in their current condition, but if we take the coat down today and then you bring them in regular, we can get them in a nice Bichon cut. He said no, no, no, these are show dogs. You are not allowed to cut a show dogs hair off. I said well then I am sorry, but I don't think I'm going to be able to help you today. I said, "Do you have a handler? Maybe you should ask her what your options are?" With a sigh he said reluctantly, "Well, we don't plan on showing them this year, so do what you have to." #10 a/o ears and tail too!

Comment

I don't know what's worse, the people who want a "show cut", but don't understand that it's impossible with what you have to work with, or the ones that insist they have a show dog, and you know they must have been smoking something besides tobacco if they think you don't know it's not a show dog.

Like the Pom I groomed for a woman who insisted she had to have a "show groom" because she was going to be showing the dog next week end. This "Pom" was as large as a Finnish Spitz!

Comment

lol Helly you brought back a funny memory for me. Once when I was just starting out I had a guy bring in an Irish Setter and he kept saying he was taking the dog to a show that weekend with the dog's breeder so he wanted it to look nice. My first thought was "a show? he's showing the dog and he wants ME to groom it?" I about had an anxiety attack and barely trimmed a hair on him. I should add the dog was your typical full grown puppy, totally bonkers, it was all I could do to keep him on the table.

The guy ended up laughing about how little I did and said he was bringing the dog to the show, not showing him! lol

Comment

I had a show trim request from a bichon owner. He'd been done all over w/ a 4 the last place he'd been, it was still kind of short, but she wanted to start having him handscissored for his grooms. She brought him regularly and we got to the point where he had more coat and I was doing the show trim. After a year of this she started saying how much work it was becoming at home to keep him clean & brushed,etc. For his last appointment she told me to just buzz him down. And I am so glad- he has the most terrible coat anyways,lol.

Comment

I have only every groomed 1 Bichon that had a coat suitable enough for a show cut. That dog got an "A" comb all over with a Bichon head. Except the ears stayed long.

They boarded her at the vet after I begged them not to anymore. That dog always came in in horrible condition after it's stay at the vet. Finally I had to shave the dog with a #10 because it was so bad. Plus she had 2 severe ear infections. Poor girl looked like she had tar oozing out of her ears. I don't know why they kept going back to that vet.
            Becky

Comment

funny

Yeah, I know the feeling.

WHen a lady brought in her moms Bichon to do, she took one look
              at the pictures I had decorated my shop with, and her eyes landed
              on a show Bichon.
              Oh! I want him to look just like that!
              Well, I about fainted.
              However, I did the best I could, and I came closer than I thought I would.
              Might take a time or two.
              She was WAY happy with the groom.
              I guess putting show photos on the wall might have been the wrong thing to do.

Comment

I have one client with a bichon, show trim, great coat and they brush her!! She was good as gold but I was very nervous and happy as a clam after I finshed, they told me they would be back! yippee!

Comment

A couple of years ago I had a gentleman call me (from a trailer park) for an appointment for his pom. He told me that the dog needed to be done the same day because he was going to be showing the dog at Westminster later on in the evening. I smiled. Poms had been shown the day before. I asked him a few questions as to his "show" career. He told me that this was to be the first show ever for his dog. I politely let him told him that he needed to check his entry because Poms were shown the day before. The phone went silent. I was kind enough to keep from laughing. And yes, Westminster is a Champions only show. People crack me up!

Comment

Originally posted by redbird View Post
                    Yeah, I know the feeling.

WHen a lady brought in her moms Bichon to do, she took one look
                    at the pictures I had decorated my shop with, and her eyes landed
                    on a show Bichon.
                    Oh! I want him to look just like that!
                    Well, I about fainted.
                    However, I did the best I could, and I came closer than I thought I would.
                    Might take a time or two.
                    She was WAY happy with the groom.
                    I guess putting show photos on the wall might have been the wrong thing to do.
                    My boss groomed a yorkie for years and years. He wasn't a show dog, but was show quality, right size, great hair, etc. We have a picture of him on the wall. Well, just about everytime someone comes in with a yorkie they want it to look like the picture! And they are usually typical pet yorkies...too small or too big, matted hair, or veeerrry fine hair. Cute yes, but definitely not show quality!
                    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

My vet brought me in a five month old mini poodle puppy yesterday (I was already completely booked) along with a poodle book saying that she had talked the owner into a clip today and here was the only style the owner would agree too........a poodle puppy show trim!!!!!!!! but with a moustache, and not too big a moustache because the hair gets wet when the dog drinks and by the way the pup has never ever been groomed before!!!!!!! FANTASTIC NEWS
                      Well she was a little mop and definately needed a haircut, was a little bit scared but pretty well behaved considering. I scaled down her 'show trim' to a more managable length, did it more like a grooming comp trim. She turned out very cute and the owner has no idea of the difference in style, her last dog was a mini foxy.
                      Just wondering how long she can manage this hair...hopefully it goes the way most do and gets shorter over time.

Linda
                      petgroomaustralia

Comment

Originally posted by barknpurr View Post
                        A couple of years ago I had a gentleman call me (from a trailer park) for an appointment for his pom. He told me that the dog needed to be done the same day because he was going to be showing the dog at Westminster later on in the evening. I smiled. Poms had been shown the day before. I asked him a few questions as to his "show" career. He told me that this was to be the first show ever for his dog. I politely let him told him that he needed to check his entry because Poms were shown the day before. The phone went silent. I was kind enough to keep from laughing. And yes, Westminster is a Champions only show. People crack me up!
                        Hehehe. That reminds me of another "Show Pom" groom I did. This little girl actually might have been showable, and while I knew the dog wasn't going to any show this weekend, I gave her the proper groom. Including topping her ears. Mom was hysterical! Why did I do that to her ears? Now I can't show her!

I gently explained that that's the way a Pom's ears are done for show, straight across on the tips, so they blend into the mane. She didn't buy it, until I showed her some show pictures of a friends Pom. Lucky for me, I had a couple that actually showed the ears.

I don't think she was happy with her "Show groom", though. She hasn't been back.

Comment

Owner: "My wife wants a Bichon Show cut."

You: "And people in hell want a cool glass of water."

LOL, just kidding. I get frazzled with people like this one lady who wanted her schnauzer clipped, and I did it according to how I see the photos in books and according to the instructions on them, to the best of my ability. She (the owner) goes on to tell me how she likes the pattern higher, and likes it this way and that way, etc etc...and then proceeds to bounce a check!

You bouncy you checky you get the haircut I give a you.

GRRR...

Tammy in Utah
                          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Working...
                          X