Poor human

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor human

A middle aged man came in listened politly while I told a lady to have her daighter to do voluteer work before she paid for grooming school, the poor guy said I have had 4 dogs in my lifetime so I think I could do this kind of work! Sadly he was serious lost his job so he was changing careers, I had no idea what to say, exceot to tell him to look online for a job. Felt sorry for him.
    ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Sounds like good advise

for the girl,but that sounds like he insulted pet groomers.just cause he own a few dogs he thinks anyone can do what a pet groomer does,that's like when you see an on craiglist,fly by night groomers,

Comment

I owned a dog when I was 11 until I was 19. I thought maybe I could learn to groom too. You never know.
      Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I have mixed feelings

on one hand you know how hard it is to be out of work, on the other you know how hard it is to be a proficient pet stylist.

I have a similar problem a friend of mine wants me to teach her to groom because she is losing the income from the feds she used to get for taking care of her son, whom is disabled.I think suggesting she help out at the local shelter is a great idea gives, her a feel for what it is like.I am going to volunteer, myself ,maybe we can go together!!!

Comment

Oh thats great, ive had 6 cars in my life, I think I could be a mechanic......

Comment

I used a hammer and nail and hung up a few pictures...POOF! I am a carpenter

Comment

Had a student like that guy a couple of years back. Needed to find a new line of work and decided pet grooming looked as good as anything. And how hard could it really be, pulling clippers over a dog, snipping off the stray hairs, collecting a bunch of money when the dog was done?

So, I gave him a Chow/Mal cross to groom. A walking mountain of hair that hadn't been touched by a brush for months. And it was springtime.

By the time he was finished with the dog he was exhausted, dripping with sweat, totally wiped out.

He told me how he thought dog grooming was going to be a walk in the park. He said he never knew it was going to be such hard work.

They never do, them what don't knows...

Comment

Hey now, I decided to become a groomer at 55,,lmao. I did go to school tho. The reason I decided to change careers at such a late age was because in my sales job, I realized the highligh of my day was calling on clients who took their dogs to work. I was more interested in playing with the dogs then selling advertising to the client. Plus I was so sick of sales quotas and sales managers. Oh yea, and I have owned a few dogs in my life and wanted to be a vet when I was little,, (giggles) Now I spend my days washing doggie butts & I'm lovin it!!!!! Even after yesterday, I had a shaved down on 2 spaniels, one was a English Cocker who screamed like a girl and a OAY Boykin covered in mats and bits of wheat buds, who had no clue what gettin groomed was all about. Altho he was a good boy and would sit and stay, he was certian he was goona fall off the table and die, so standing up was out of the question,,,

Comment

Hey now. Why are some of you making fun of this guy? How many of us knew how difficult and demanding grooming would be when we decided to give it a try?

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post

Hey now. Why are some of you making fun of this guy? How many of us knew how difficult and demanding grooming would be when we decided to give it a try?

Because we have the common sense to understand that although we all have a driver's license, we aren't up to NASCAR racing.

That guy wouldn't.

Comment

So right Helly. I thought I was going to play with puppies and tie ribbons in their hair. The first thing the grooming school did (after cashing my check) was show me anal glands and soupy nasty ears. Holy Joe! What a revelation!

Comment

Some of the replys here are why I felt sorry for him, he was soft spoken slight stutter very mild mannered figured someone would chew him up and spit him out. The very reason he might be ok would be the reason some would "use' to disrespect him. I have no patience for training people, or time, but this human just might be good with pets also might be "simple" we all know this profesion needs gentle folk .
                        ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Originally posted by odette View Post
                          A middle aged man came in listened politly
                          That's where he got me. How often does that happen anymore? I believe that speaks volumes without ever uttering a word.

And yes. I feel if your heart, your sensitivity, your ability to connect, your respect/passion/love of dogs and or kitties, and all those other things that you guys bring up...that we all learned to deal with as we put one foot in front of the other...well, who's to say he can't be a dog groomer? Not me. I wish the gentle man well.
                          Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post
                            Because we have the common sense to understand that although we all have a driver's license, we aren't up to NASCAR racing.

That guy wouldn't.
                            Why do we keep calling it common sense, when it's so uncommon?

That's not really a fair comparison, either. If we have a driver's license we probably know how to drive a car. And if we've been driving for any length of time, we know how much trouble a car can get into, and we have a pretty good idea of how well we can deal with it. Even if we've never driven a car like the ones used in NASCAR, we'd probably have a good idea whether we can handle a car that's going 200 miles an hour.

Grooming dogs is a different situation. Before we became groomers, we probably all owned dogs. And we were ignorant of how much detail is involved in the process. Most people come into the profession without having a clue. A lot of them quit when they see how hard it really is. Those that don't quit, dig in, and get the job done become groomers. Early on we figure out that having owned several dogs may have given us a little knowledge about handling dogs, but doesn't come close to qualifying us as prospective groomers. This is knowledge that most people don't come to unless they've actually tried grooming a dog. And it's not really "common" sense or lack there of that's to blame.

Comment

Working...
                            X