Tacky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tacky?

I am so sick of the price shoppers, I feel like I'm wasting my time even calling them back. I think ooh! maybe a new client then they say the dreaded, " I will have to call you back." But I have to return their call because you never know. Anyway.... would it be tacky to say something on my message like "bla bla bla...prices start at $$ and varies upon breed,size,behavior" I'm just not sure what that will sound like to people. Help!.......thanks

When they say "blah blah blah, I'll have to call you back" I say "Oh by the way are you hooked up to the internet?". I give them the web addy and tell them there are numerous pics of the doggies and a nice clean shop. It really helps for selling yourself.

Comment

I know what you mean!!! I have to do the same..really gets on my nerves! I really don't have a solution other than to say,,our prices reflect our outstanding personal service and humane care for your best friend??? or else say something like," we aren't wal-mart!" lol I've told people that before too when they ask if I match competitors prices! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetpea View Post
        I am so sick of the price shoppers, I feel like I'm wasting my time even calling them back. I think ooh! maybe a new client then they say the dreaded, " I will have to call you back." But I have to return their call because you never know. Anyway.... would it be tacky to say something on my message like "bla bla bla...prices start at $$ and varies upon breed,size,behavior" I'm just not sure what that will sound like to people. Help!.......thanks
        I wouldn't mention any prices in your phone message. There are a lot of people who will hear that price, and that's what they think you're going to charge them.

I'm also really hesitant to quote a price over the phone. And for the same reason. You can stress, for example, that cockers start at $$, but it varies because of size, condtion, and coat type. Everyone one seems to think their moose size dog is the nomal size, and the dog doesn't have a single mat or behavior issue.

But if you're going to quote prices, start by enumerating all the services your price includes; your dog will receive two baths with an all natural shampoo selected to meet your dogs unique needs. That will be followed by a conditioning treatment, again with an all natural conditioner selected for your dog's individual coat type. Your dog will be humanely dried, using the most current drying techniques and equipment. He will be thoroughly brushed to remove any mats or tangles.Then he will recieve whatever style you've selected, using both clipper and hand scissoring. His groom also includes a nail trim, checking the anal glands and expressing them if necessary, ear cleaning. We finish up with a light spray of cologne, if you desire it, and your choice of bows, collar bow, or bandanna. And you get all that for between $$ and $$.

Give them the impression that you're giving them a great service for a small fee. Even if you're charging them an arm and a leg. And stress things like nautural shampoos and conditioners, humane treatment, advanced or "the latest" techniques and styles. It'll make them wonder about the cheaper places, what types of products they use, how well they treat the pets, and if their work is old fashioned.

Comment

Lately, when I get the "How much do you charge for a shih tzu?" I reply:

"Our prices start at $XX but could be higher depending upon length and condition of the coat, the dogs size and temperament. This price includes two shampooings, hand drying, nails, ears, anal glands, shaving the hair in the pads, haircut, and a bow or bandanna."

Tammy in Utah
          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

One time I had a new customer from Kansas. She never asked a price for the grooming. When she came to pick up the dog and I told her the price she said in Kansas I only pay $15.00! I said really. For a full groom? she said yes. I said , "Well honey, your not in Kansas anymore!!!" she didn't appreciate my humor........Everybody's a critic

Comment

My replies and pricing per hour question

If people are leading with that question I have usually replied"What were you planing to pay for a groom? They answer and I have replied "What did that grooming include"? They will usually hang up or tell you. If their still there I start with what my grooming includes and then go to a basic price that may go up considering, fleas, matting, unhappy and aggressive dog or owner.

Also, has anyone experimented with pricing on a per hour basis?

Comment

I think if your very busy, there is nothing wrong with putting a statement about starting prices...especially, since in mobile grooming, most have a minimum price for any breed. Obviously, I don't answer customer calls during the day while I'm out on the road, so I can come home to and hour or two worth of calls to make, and I certainly don't want to entertain people's price shopping. I don't need to.

By giving a statement like "prices begin at $XX and are based on breed, condition....etc", you will weed out those price shoppers. If the person then leaves a number because they're still interested, then you can give them the spiel and a more definitely estimate when you talk to them live. You will be talking to someone who is interested in your services, not someone who is just looking for the best deal around.

Remember, mobile grooming is a different animal (pardon the pun), from shop grooming. As mobile groomers we have more luxury in deciding what we groom and who we groom for, and we have to be conciensious about managing our time or we wouldn't be able to enjoy a personal life.
                don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

This is really something that falls into the salesmanship catagory. Have you ever called another business and heard them mention prices in a recorded message? Of course not. You can't make a sale that way. Have you ever called about a car repair, haircut, or any other service and had them ask you what you're expecting to pay? Of course not. You can't make a sale that way.

Ever watched an infomercial? Do they tell you what the product costs first? Or do they throw out a line, wait for you to take the bait, then sink the hook with "And you get all this for the low, low price of $$$$"?

We groomers should learn a lesson from salesmen. Sell yourself, your business, your product first, then tell the what it costs. Our product is the service we provide. So tell prospective clients just how special your service is, then hit them with the price. If someone is looking for the biggest bang for the buck, you'll hook 'em by convincing them you're offering something really special. If they're just looking for cheap, you'll weed them out. If you're being shopped by another groomer, you'll scare 'em to death.

Comment

Hourly rate

Yes, I charge and hourly rate.
                    One, because I'm slower, two it sounds better, and three since I am a new groomer trying to grow clientelle, it lets me raise my hourly rate as I see fit.
                    Currently my hourly rate includes everything. I feel this give me a lot of controll. (which I of course like)
                    I can also charge some people more if they are a pita., and they don't have any idea what I am charging anyone else. I simply put their hourly rate in the upper corner of the card and circle it. I always write down how long it took last time, so I have some idea if my skills are improving.
                    So far it works out about right, and most people I know complain to high heaven about add ons anyhow.
                    Since dematting and other things simply take me more time, it makes sense to me. It gives owners some controll over their budget as well.

Comment

I dont really know if I have a problem with price shoppers. I like to take that time to connect with them, that way the price is secondary. I have to admit, there are some things that I do price shopping for.

I was looking for a cleaning service the other day.(I hate cleaning) So I took about 7 numbers from the phone book and I called every one of them. Second to the last phone number, I get a man. Very professional. His price is about 15 dollars an hour more than the others. You might think that 15 dollars is no big deal, but I expect they will be working for at LEAST 4 hours. That would have been that, and I would have continued with my list, but he continued... He tells me that the work of his girls is top of the line. They use blah blah blah products and they do this this and this. Customer satisfaction is the most important thing to him, so on and so forth. It made ME forget about the price, and he will have my business.

Comment

I honestly don't see much difference in mobile or shop ...you said you can pick and choose your clients. Im in shop and I pick and choose mine. you say mobilers charge more cause its a luxury service? The pet spa is a luxury service too. I can charge what I want and justify it...just some thoughts on the subject....and I agree. You must be able to "sell" yourself and your products, then they don't ask about the price. Just make like a car salesman lol

Comment

I am the new groomer in town, the biggest problem I have is price shoppers. They all try the' but so and so only charges me this much...", My response is like, oh that's nice, I charge this and this is why. SOme book some don't/ One lady tried to convince me to groomer her dog for $20 (wasn't happening).
                          But today I got the shock of my life, a lady called for her golden (for me 35-45) she said she was always charged $60+...I doubt she was lying...but now I know others are!! lol

Right now my prices are the same as the other groomer (maybe $5 more). Once my cleintelle builds I will up the prices of those lovely OAY, unsocialized monsters). When even busier my prices are all going up $5..and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by SiotehCat View Post
                            I dont really know if I have a problem with price shoppers. I like to take that time to connect with them, that way the price is secondary. I have to admit, there are some things that I do price shopping for.

I was looking for a cleaning service the other day.(I hate cleaning) So I took about 7 numbers from the phone book and I called every one of them. Second to the last phone number, I get a man. Very professional. His price is about 15 dollars an hour more than the others. You might think that 15 dollars is no big deal, but I expect they will be working for at LEAST 4 hours. That would have been that, and I would have continued with my list, but he continued... He tells me that the work of his girls is top of the line. They use blah blah blah products and they do this this and this. Customer satisfaction is the most important thing to him, so on and so forth. It made ME forget about the price, and he will have my business.

You're right. Last year I wanted to get my hair chemically straightened. I called around to all of the shops in the area (like 50, lol) and checked prices. It was anywhere between 75 and 400! I found a good price, and checked out the place. I was impressed so I used that place, but I haven't gone back since, I still go to my regular hairdresser....so, when people call around for price quotes it's fine with me. If they even just come one time, that's still money in my pocket!
                            Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

People only ever hear the lowest price, never the range. Try to talk about the quality of products, ect. When people complain about price, I ask them if they would choose their Dr based on price only!

Comment

Working...
                              X