Lyme - level 110

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lyme - level 110

A young dog I groom was diagonosed with Lyme dec. at the highest level of 110 (said the vet). He gave the owner antibiotics and told the owner that the dog is lucky to live for another two mos.

Does anyone have any stories of dogs with this level of lyme live for a while? He is such a cute little dog! The owner took him away for a vacation and the place was loaded with deer ticks. She of course regrets ever going there in the first place because it seems everyone who lived there had lyme.

Anyway, any good stories?

Sorry to hear about this little dog. I don't have any stories to share, but I wonder where was this area the dog (and family) visited?

sittingpretty

Comment

We have an incredibly bad tick population where we live. All dogs should be on frontline or advantix in this area. It's a terrible disease, but it's fairly rare for a dog to die from it unless it effects their kidneys or other major organs. When it's not caught soon enough, that's where the problems come in.
      http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_lyme_disease.html

One of my dogs, that doesn't live with me, ended up with very bad lyme's disease. She was very sick because it wasn't treated immediately, but she did survive. Her only problem is arthritis.

Comment

Dang ralla...that's pretty high.

I did not vaccinate for Lyme until 3 years ago. I don't have a problem here....but apparently my co-owner's property does.
        One of my Sibes was there for 5 weeks when she was in heat and contracted it playing in all the tall grass.

I felt like a total idiot because it wasn't until her third trip to the vet in 2 weeks, and multiple tests and films...that it even occurred to us to test for Lyme.
        She was 2 yrs. old and her titer was in the lower 60's.
        It took about a year, 3 rounds of doxy, and after multiple titer checks....we finally got the number down. I think the last number was 9 or 10 or something last year.

I now (begrudgingly) vaccinate the 3 that travel for Lyme...sort of a risk vs benefit type thing.

I hope the dog is going to be ok. Is the vet saying the dog is going to DIE, or would have been lucky to live another 2 months if it wasn't diagnosed?
        Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Here is a short little factoid I recently read, with some good info in it. http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...aspx?aid=CD945

My pack is naturally reared so I do not use neuro toxin/pesticide drops on them. They run on several acres here and pick up a few ticks during the spring - we just go over them each night and do a tick check.

I have had several dogs come in to the shop infested already this spring - all I can say is eeeeewww.

Comment

The dog is on frontline regularly. The vet stated that the frontline kills the tick but doesn't stop it from biting into the dog and spreading any disease.

It started when the dog couldn't walk and the owner thought he hurt his leg jumping around. The vet tested for everything over a few weeks period before they realized what it was. The dog is on some antibiotic now but the owner said he has days (even on the drug) when he cannot walk at all. He also goes to the bathroom uncontrollably sometimes.

I groom dogs that have lyme and are fine...but this one has that high level.

Apparently the vet isn't too confident that the dog will live a long life.

The owner went to visit family a few states away. She said that every member of that family had lyme disease so she assumes but is not absolute the dog was infected while there.

Comment

Wow. We are seeing more and more dogs test positive for lyme here. More and more people also. The diseased ticks definitely have a strong foothold here in NH.

We have started recommending Vectra 3d instead of frontline. The company claims it not only kills ticks but repels them before they bite. I do have to admit I find less ticks on dogs using the Vectra but I am sure some do get through. Especially toward the end of the month. Frontline, forget it! Not only am I finding attached ticks on frontline dogs, but I am finding them blown up and still alive so... I think it has just been out so many years that the ticks are building a resistance. That is just my opinion though. Dont sue me frontline!

Comment

[QUOTE=ralla;413516]The dog is on frontline regularly. The vet stated that the frontline kills the tick but doesn't stop it from biting into the dog and spreading any disease.QUOTE]

Well, that's half right. Frontline doesn't stop the tick from biting. But the tick has to stay attached for quite a while to spread Lyme. It's not like a mosquito bite/heartworm infestation.

Personally, if my dogs were going into areas where ticks were prevelant, I'd use a Preventick collar, and I'd get them vaccinated against Lyme.

Comment

I hope he will be fine.

The dog is the joy of his parents, they cook him meals over the stove. The give him icecream and take him away on vacations. He is only a few years old.

Comment

Working...
                  X