Grrrrrrrr... tardiness is not acceptable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grrrrrrrr... tardiness is not acceptable

I just got a call from my boarding dog's mom. She's supposed to pick her up tonight. We close at 9:00pm for our boarding customers to pick up or drop off. Well the woman just called and said it might be after 9. Well then, no one asked if that's okay, they assume it's alright to be late. I told her that if it's after 9 we charge another night's fee. I'm thinking it's not enough and tomorrow I'm going to double that late fee to anyone who thinks we should live in our business.

This is the downfall to living on your property with a business. It bothers me really bad that I kick their you know what and then they walk all over us. Grrrrr, sorry I needed to vent.

hey! no other business holds the door open if you're late. close at your stated time...charge for the night, no exceptions!!! post it on your business door and your home if you have to!! Just stick to the policy!
    Last edited by hairdevil; 04-11-07, 07:01 PM.

Comment

The woman who takes my dog does it out of her home. She has set hours. If you don't want to be charged an extra day you have to pick up by 11am. She sticks to her guns too. Drop off is before 5pm. That's it, no exceptions. She doesn't bend the rules for anyone.

Comment

EDIT, kick is supposed to be kiss lol

I had a customer come here at almost midnight once. I told her it wasn't acceptable and no one should have to do this. I haven't seen her since.

I got into the business like most, for the love of the animals, but geez, they make me feel like it's a job when they pull this stuff.

Comment

I wouldn't have gotten mad at her---did her plane fly in late? Or was she just late getting her hair and nails done? LOL, either way, I would have said, "Ok, it'll be $XX for one more night, come by anytime tomorrow and pick up Fluffy. Thank you."

I don't think you need to apologize, but I don't think you need to be mad, either. Just count the cash flow.

Tammy in Utah
          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by Woof_x_2 View Post
            EDIT, kick is supposed to be kiss lol

I had a customer come here at almost midnight once. I told her it wasn't acceptable and no one should have to do this. I haven't seen her since.

I got into the business like most, for the love of the animals, but geez, they make me feel like it's a job when they pull this stuff.
            kick.......that's just what you wanted to do!! see how the mind works

Comment

If there is anyway you can put up a gate and open and close it corrasponding to your hours of operation that sure would help.Just don't forget to let the machine catch your calls!

Comment

lol i figuire when i open a business...id rather have it all on my property...i want to have a boarding (DELUXE with individual rooms rather than runs), daycare, and grooming facility. well...THAT building(s) are going to have a SEPERATE driveway...and no one is going to see my house from that building! or if you do you wont know its my house! and if anyone trys to come pick up there dog after the appointed dropoff/pickup time...well thats just too bad so sad...UNLESS they come up with a really good reason...maybe you could have asked her if she had someone else avalible that could come pick the dog up? if not...well thats just tough patooties! now if it was just 10 mins after 9 and she had a really good reason (ie plane landed late, got stuck in traffic from the airport etc..) THEN maybe id consider it...but other than that...uhhhhhhh no i dont think so. its not conveint for me...i remember also at the doggy daycare...we were closing early for a holiday..forgot which one it was...well my fiance (b.f at the time) was helping my boss load up some boarding dogs in her car for her...and we had told the owners of the dogs when they dropped off for daycare that we were closing at 12 today. last dog was a dog named bandit a lab. well...needless to say...1 rolls around...i called the house no answer. called other number no answer. left messages on both phones...boss is standing around chatting with last customer leaving (she was picking up dog food)...and boss goes...did they call back yet? i said no...tried calling one last time...no answer...so i said what do you want me to do? she goes write a note and tape it on the door that they are to pick bandit up at my house and leave the address and phone number in case they have any questions. also this happend once for new years day...we didnt realize she wanted us to be closed so we were there...couple people came and dropped their dogs off...my friend calls and asks the boss what to do only 2 dogs came in today...she goes why are dogs there your supposed to be CLOSED! oh well case of miscommunication...well we called the one guy back and explained that we were actually supposed to be closed today we are so sorry for the inconvience...but if he wanted his dog at daycare the owner of the business would more than gladly be able to provide it at her house (she had a smaller daycare building) or he could come pick up his dog. he opted to pick up his dog...contacted the owners of the other dog (bichon) and they said it was fine that they would just pick him up from the boss's house. dropped him off and went home!
                Hound

Comment

Penalties for being late.

Post your hours. Give them a copy and you keep a signed by them copy at drop-off. Keep seperate phone lines for business and home. Keep a machine on the business phone (again stating the hours). If you absolutly must accomidate the client - charge the full extra night board PLUS a additional "emergency or after hours fee" that is atleast an additional night and a-half rate. Oh yes, make sure that that is on their copy and it is BOLDED.
                  BTW, I have a friend that charges per 15 minutes late for her grooming dogs.

Comment

I live two doors away from my business and I have had people come knocking on my door to let their dogs out because my pick-up hours weren't convienent to them!! TS!!! That is what business hours are for.....your hours of business! If I don't make it to the bank by 6:00 do you think I could get someone to come in and cash my check for me? DUH...people just don't stop to think!
                    SheilaB from SC

Comment

Late Pickups

The boarding kennel I managed offered a late pickup/early drop off. This was by appointment only and was around $30. This was posted in the lobby, written on the boarding contract they signed and we charged it pretty religiously. Most people didn't mind paying it and it more than compensated for the time and aggravation involved in opening up for them. You really can't get but so mad at someone for wanting to have their dog home with them as soon as they can... as long as they are willing to pay the price. Then again, there is always that one customer.....

Comment

We don't ever stay over for late pick-ups. And the kennel owner does live just down the hill. But once we're closed, the door is locked, the lights are off, and the staff goes home, no one is coming back to release a dog.

Of course, we've had a couple of dogs that we were tempted to pay the owner if they'd come and pick the dog up, no matter what the time was, if they just didn't leave them one more night.

Comment

I have had people call and tell they will be late...like their dog was done at 3pm (and I called to let them kno) but they were busy (never tell why) and they will be there around 5:30pm...ah nope! I have 2 very small children (toddler and 8 month baby) and they are in daycare which is 30 mins away and I have to be there in 30 mins...when they say what do I do...I tell them I will take their dog to potty, give them some water and they will be kenneld for the night with a $30 charge on top of the grooming. And they can pick up the dog in the morning (I know I could never do that and probably end up taking the dog home with me)..since being open 1 month i have had to use this threat 3 times!

Comment

Why not create an after-hours fee and make it absurd ($50) for inconvenient hours.

Comment

Thankfully we don't live at the site of the business, but at closing time everything is locked up and turned off! No exceptions. I would hate to live there, I can just imagine all of the people that would try to get you to checkout before or after closing.
                              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Working...
                              X