What do you do when client wants something that looks horrid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do when client wants something that looks horrid

A earlier post made me think to post this, I've meant to before - just didn't want to detour off someone else's post!

So what do you do when a client wants you to do something that will look awful to some people - such as poodle feet on cockers? I have one client who "wants the line to show" on their cocker. I have another lady with a yorkie and she has me put him in what I call a "Clydesdale" yorkie cut - she has me shave his legs, with a #10 in the middle part of all his legs. Long hair on top of body, pull that out of way, shave leg from shoulder/hip area to ankle area, scissor around long body parts and clydesdale ish feet. It's the strangest thing. She goes on and on about how many people love it and in my head I'm praying she doesn't tell anyone where she goes.

Once years ago I told a St. Poo client to please NOT tell anyone I groomed their dogs. More recently I've explained to clients when something isn't standard in case anyone asks them about a haircut.

What do you suggest or do?

Follow client wishes and laugh all the way to the bank! It used to bother me, but it is their dog,I don't have to look at it. Actualy got a breed standard client off of a ugly made up clip, she figured if I followed THOSE instructions surley I could follow hers. lol
    ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

I groom the dog to the owner's request. I've put poodle feet on a Pom, Wheaten, Schnauzer; bald legs/full body on a couple of cockapoos (different owners); a "tornado" (the Owner's name for a small lock of hair left 4-5" long on the topknot while the rest of the TK and body is a #7). The list goes on. So long as the client is happy with their pet's look, it works for me. I figure if the client is happy, they will say good things about me. That's what makes a good referral.
      "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I do something that looks horrid, but do it well (and send them out the back door-just kidding)

Comment

Do what they want

We have something similar in our salon, it's an OES that gets one the oddest haircuts I've ever seen but it's what the owner wants, even if we think it's the goofiest thing we've ever seen.

Comment

we have customers who want cockers with 'clean' feet...it's so much easier to take care of for them, cockers feet seem to grow 3x as fast as the rest of their hair...
            I had a customer recently that wanted me to do a 9 on the cockers back legs do NOT shave the back (i could of prob put a 1" extension over the back..) and a five on the front legs..up to the shoulders...and i can't remember i think a 3 on the head or on the neck...it was a very interesting cut...but i said i was to full to do them the next time..

Comment

If people want something specific, I do it. I make sure I understand and may offer other options but if they are set on it I do it.

I had a client who wanted her white standard poodle completely shaved with a #10. Every hair on the dogs body including head,tail ears.. not even eyebrows. The dog looked horrible and I used to jokingly say to people watching in the window. "THIS ISNT MY CHOICE!!" I have had a few people who wanted poodle feet on different breeds, I have a lady who has me shave her cocker not leaving any feathers on her chest or underbody but has me leave a hump on her back hips (like the old airdale cuts) People usually have a reason for wanting what they want.

Comment

Honestly, as long as it what they request isn't hurting the dog than I am fine with it. It's their money, and if I don't do what they want they are just gonna take it down the road to someone who will. Plus, it's their dog, who am to tell them what to do...at least I don't have to look at it, lol.
                Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Originally posted by rapuzzled View Post
                  Honestly, as long as it what they request isn't hurting the dog than I am fine with it. It's their money, and if I don't do what they want they are just gonna take it down the road to someone who will. Plus, it's their dog, who am to tell them what to do...at least I don't have to look at it, lol.
                  Amen. It IS their dog. I feel the same way I feel when people complain about a creative groom. "Who are You (collective you, not Rapuzzled LOL!) to say what goes on somebody elses dog?"
                  "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                  People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Yes, I agree you do what the owner wants...but what if someone sees it and says "who the hell groomed your dog?" Ok, so people won't say that, but they could ask nicely, then that owner says who does it and what if the person that asked thinks that the way the dog turned out is what we (the groomer) thinks is correct? Do you tell people to please tell anyone that asks them to be sure to say they wanted it this way????

Comment

I give it to them.
                      "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

most people wouldn't know a "correct" groom if it hit them in the head, at least in my area anyway. They see a dog w/ an owner that is very happy w/ the haircut and that is most important. I will tell you that you will get more recommendations for how you treat the animal and the owner than for the haircut! I have gotten many request customers from people who don't get the normal cut. I do an airedale in a fluffy cut, 3/4" all over, airedale head, but no goatee and she referred a lady w/ 2 toy poodles who get very poodley cuts, so the poodle lady obviously didn't care that the airedale wasn't cut to "breed standard". The owners are paying, they should get what they want. If I went to a hairdresser and they told me no to a cut I had asked for, I would find a new hairdresser. Even if they did the cut then told me it looked funny, I would find a new hairdresser. You may feel like it is your reputation, but you don't have to live w/ the dog, you don't have to clean its muddy feet every time it comes on the house. just my humble opinion.
                        I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
                        -Michelangelo

Comment

I do what the owner wants and I tell them that if anyone asks where they got it done they say "So and So did it and she did EXACTLY what I asked her to do"

Comment

I do what they ask. It's their dog and they should decide what it looks like in my opinion. I'd rather do the funny groom than have them do it and make it look awful, at least its well done.

I have to do clean feet on a 3 lb long haired Chihuahua & two English Setters.. all of which don't really like their feet shaved. I really really need to get one of those slings!

Comment

You should have just "detoured"...it would have saved me lot of chit-chat.
                              Do what the client wants...always. That's my motto (if I had a motto). It's their dime. And...do it with a smile.
                              Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Working...
                              X