X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groomer helping with hair for oil

Well, she's cute and doing her part.

http://www.comcast.net/video/groomer...ast/949720224/

When I went to the post office today I saw someone shipping 10 HUGE boxes by parcel post. Turned out it was an Alpaca rancher shipping hair.
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

We sent off a couple of boxes on friday! We fill up 1-2 big trash bags of hair a day.

Comment

I just heard about this so I shipped my first box today. When the mail lady asked if there was anything liquid or breakable in the box, I just replied, " Nope it's dog hair." She looked at me with the weirdest look and all the people in line started laughing. I said "it's for making the booms that are helping collect the oil in the Gulf." Then nobody was laughing anymore, but they had lots of questions, LOL!!!

Comment

We heard of this a while back. We have sent some already here and are collecting every day. The thing is???? on this news cast, this guy said it would take 12 dogs to fill that little bag?????

We use a clipper vac system, we have 5 groomers, average 25 dogs a day.. most this time of year are blowing coat like crazy! plus the clipper vac's, plus we collect any 'debris free' around our tables... we are filling up garbage bags every day. I do know one thing if anyone is interested.. if you keep the hair in plastic bags & tie them off... then make a few very small holes, press them down you can really collapse them and save on shipping multiple boxes filled with mostly air.

Comment

I think this is a great idea, BUT (and I would have to be the downer here) EVERY ARTICLE and video news clip I have seen says they are not using the boons, only stockpiling them in case they are asked to provide them.

there seems to be a disconnect in how this disaster is being handled and what BP and other agencies are doing. Its all about bureaucratic posturing and no one can tell me how to take care of this better than I am and as a result very little is being done.

I am not saying don't send it in, and maybe this status has changed since I read up a week ago, but but maybe ask POINT BLANK are you actually deploying boons before you send the hair to them so it gets USED not just stockpiled in case.

We had a drive here in town to collect supplies for bird rehab. They asked for Dawn, pet taxis of all sizes for transport, paper towels, latex and nitrile gloves and a lot of other things as well that I cannot remember right now. They filled three or four tractor trailers in a weekend. GREAT right? WRONG! The stuff is sitting and the volunteers are still here in Albany waiting for someone to call them to ask for their help......until someone calls them they cannot go help so the stuff and manpower is being wasted.
            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Our local humane society is collecting all the hair they can from local groomers and hair salons to send! So we'll have a group effort instead having to do it ourselves.

Comment

http://www.aolnews.com/story/no-hair...-spill/1078876

I posted this in another thread, but here agin to make sure you guys see it.

I can see the point too, that all the oil contaminated hair and nylons would hav e to be disposed of safely and I don;t see HOW that can happen. I see it both ways though.
                <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Isn't that something? All this work we groomers and other companies are doing to pitch in and it was all for nothing. I don't know what to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                    I think this is a great idea, BUT (and I would have to be the downer here) EVERY ARTICLE and video news clip I have seen says they are not using the boons, only stockpiling them in case they are asked to provide them.

there seems to be a disconnect in how this disaster is being handled and what BP and other agencies are doing. Its all about bureaucratic posturing and no one can tell me how to take care of this better than I am and as a result very little is being done.

I am not saying don't send it in, and maybe this status has changed since I read up a week ago, but but maybe ask POINT BLANK are you actually deploying boons before you send the hair to them so it gets USED not just stockpiled in case.

We had a drive here in town to collect supplies for bird rehab. They asked for Dawn, pet taxis of all sizes for transport, paper towels, latex and nitrile gloves and a lot of other things as well that I cannot remember right now. They filled three or four tractor trailers in a weekend. GREAT right? WRONG! The stuff is sitting and the volunteers are still here in Albany waiting for someone to call them to ask for their help......until someone calls them they cannot go help so the stuff and manpower is being wasted.
                    If anyone wants to check into the non-for-profit company... they have used the booms in many areas already.. it may not be in the Gulf YET but this awesome recycle program has been helping out with oil spills around the world for some time. If BP does not want them.. so what, I am willing to whatever I can to help ANY oil spill!

Also I was informed that certain countries in south america have had 'oil spill accidents' every year since the 60's. As I said, if BP chooses to use them or not... it is a wonderful way to recycle, utilize a non-for-profit eco friendly company to help out in any area. I think it is wonderful to know what we used to throw away can be used in a positive way.

Comment

Working...
                    X