Help picking a name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help picking a name

Greeting !! For the last 13 years I have been a groomer and I LOVE it. But ...... I need a bit of help and the only place I could think of to find help with my "issue" is from fellow groomers. In two weeks my family is getting a new puppy. She is a brown MultiPoo and we are having a terrible time trying to name her. Currently our family is rounded out with a lab mix named Jetta and two cats, Arlo and Lois. The largest issue we are facing is almost every name my family comes up with, I know someone with that name. A year ago, we had to put down one of our dogs - Gilman - everyone loved his name and there was no one else with it. Thats what I want again, a great name no one else (in our area anyway) has. So bring it on ..... share with me names that you don't know a few of.

Sometimes it is best to just have the new puppy around a few days and see what name will fit her/him. Some dogs definitely are the sweet and cute type so those kinds of names "fit." Others seems to be more the rough and tumble type so another kind of name would be in order. I hope this makes sense.

good luck with the new pup!
    sittingpretty

Comment

What are the pups parents names? maybe a play off that or movie characters? My German Shepherd's call name is Jerri Lee after the dog in the k-9 movies plus her parents are named Ike and Tina so it's also a music themed name. The Dobe is Gus after the character in Lonesome Dove. a lot of times tho after getting to know them they name themselves. One thing I've never been able to do tho is re use a name because they are all unique.

Lisa

Comment

Godiva

Comment

Godiva is good.

We have done both with the names of our pets -- Jetta was named before we got her and it fit, on the other hand Lois was going to be Glinda until I actually picked her up.

Comment

Originally posted by millerfour View Post

The largest issue we are facing is almost every name my family comes up with, I know someone with that name...A year ago, we had to put down one of our dogs - Gilman - everyone loved his name and there was no one else with it. Thats what I want again, a great name no one else (in our area anyway) has. So bring it on ..... share with me names that you don't know a few of.
            Hortense

Comment

Originally posted by sittingpretty View Post
              Sometimes it is best to just have the new puppy around a few days and see what name will fit her/him. Some dogs definitely are the sweet and cute type so those kinds of names "fit." Others seems to be more the rough and tumble type so another kind of name would be in order. I hope this makes sense.

good luck with the new pup!
              sittingpretty
              Yeah, I fully and totally agree with this 100%. Names become such a huge part of who someone is---I'm a huge believer in things like that. Names carry an energy. You hear a name and get an instant idea (or even stereotype) of who they are. You need to get to know this little guy before you can find THE ONE that will fit just right. Right? And if you read about the study of names (which I've done lots) you'll find that one name seems right at one period of their life but they may outgrow it or need to add on to it. Look at the way different cultures choose their names-it's really interesting. For example, my cat psycho, me & my kid agree it's time to switch something in his name, he's not just a plain psycho anymore. Don't know why, we just know

Hope I got your creative juices flowing a bit anyway. Good luck with whatever you pick!

Comment

I also want to add

that when it comes to pet's names, I've seen most pets I knew never keep their born name for their full life. One dog went from baby to babinator to nator. My mom 13 years or so named her dog Sandy or Sandyman and ended up giiving the dog up to my Aunt on a farm. The dog became Sarah and has never went back to Sandy except occasionally. Now I have the tempation to call her Scarah (lol) cause of her newfound moodiness in her old old. Pippy, my kitty, has become pipster. Princess Perjia became Persh, and Jonas (named BEFORE the Jonas bros became famous) has become Joney and all kinds of variations (pepperoni, macaronni, balogna), and he also resonded to li'l b a s t a r d for a while there Point is, you'll find one that fits. Look some up. You must have an idea of what you want. Modern, Ancient, Asian, Oriental, S. American, Native, Egyptian, African, Middle Eastern etc. Girly or boyish, trendy, biblical, old-fashioned. Name-picking is fun! As long as it suits the dog, and you might not stop at one name! So go hard!

Comment

Dickens was Blackie until he was about 8 months old. The landlady caught him and took him to get fixed and had to give him a name, so on the spur of the moment that was what she came up with. Then his true personality came out and he became Boo, You Little Dickens. (Dickens is now 14 and still a stinker of a cat. Although he has never given me as much joy as Puppyfluffer's Jake gives her, lol)
                  Neela was kitten until we decided the needed to come up with a name before she thought it was "kitten" after a couple of weeks. Her name means blue, for her pretty blue eyes. They are the epitome of queenliness. I don't go for ordinary names either, but Lucy came named, and it fits her.
                  If you are going for different, since the origins of the Maltese are Italian, an Italian name would be good, as well as a German name for the poodle. My bosses niece is named Sabella- a play on Isabella
                  http://www.italianames.com/italian-baby-names.php

Is she a playful pup, or is she more refined? That would help you decide too.

Comment

one of my favorite owners... always had pets that had to have 'unique' names... well this guy is/was a different sort but I have to admit his 'theory' of choosing names is unique!

he chose whatever name he liked at first.. then used it backwards.

A shep.. named Dren ,he was into computer games at the time, nerd was a big slang term used for guys back then and this dog would sit with him and he claimed 'react' when he was winning whatever game he was playing. A mix breed named yelrah, he was into bikes (harley), another mix breed named ootat (obviously tatoo backwards) etc..

it is a unique way of choosing names but Ill say this... I remember them!

Comment

Pearl, Sweetpea, Maddie, Roxie

Comment

Well it's one of my pups name but I never heard of it before and it branched off a different name until she ended up what she is.

Started as ersabet
                        Went to Ezrabet
                        then Ezrabit (which is her full first name)
                        but we just call her Ezra or Ezrabeast

Comment

Tickles

Comment

We have nick names for the pets (Lois is Lo-Lo, Arlo is Arlo Beaner) but we have never changed a name. Sometimes the name we picked out before fits and others it doesn't and I understand that (Jetta's name fit, Lois on the other hand was going to be Glinda). This morning I think we found her name -- Oakley

Comment

Working...
                            X