Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would I see a flea on my dog when........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would I see a flea on my dog when........

she has Advantix on her?

Because most of the these produicts are no longer working as well as they once were, the fleas have developed an immunity to these topical treatments. the best thing going right now seems to be Comfortis.

Good luck!
    sittingpretty

Comment

advantix doesn't ward off fleas, it only kills them once they bite. so it is conceivable that you might see a flea on your dog because it just hasn't feasted yet.
      I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
      -Michelangelo

Comment

the fleas might be getting immune? I know a vet in NC who also tells people to put this stuff on every 3 weeks not every 4 because of issues with the topicals

Comment

Last summer we had bunches of dogs and kitties come in with fleas, their owners in disbelief when we told them as the pet had been treated with Frontline or Advantix.

If it isn't a problem with the "kling-ons" developing immunity to these products, it certainly looked that way to me.

Comment

Takes time for fleas to bite and die

Frontline takes 24 hours to kill a biting flea, so if the dog picks up a flea or fleas, it/they can live for a day!

Advantage takes 12 hours to kill fleas, I think - Advantix may be the same.

So of course you can still see a flea on your pet - this stuff doesn't miraculously ward them off. Also, if the flea has already bitten a time or two on the dosed animal, it will usually be moving slower. Towards the end, they are FAR easier to catch and pull off the dog than a flea that "just arrived", lol.

So there you have it....

Comment

Now, did it change? Advantage (which I know isn't the same as Advantix) and Frontline never required the flea to bite a pet, it simply has to come in contact with the coat, but can take up to 24 hours to die. It does not get into their blood stream, it is sprea through the sebacceous gland. Usually when I have seen a flea on one of my pets on Frontline I can tell the flea is in the process of dying. It affects theor nervous sytem and the flea will be jumping haphazardly or moving much slower etc. I know those are the older products, I don't know if the newer versions are supposed to work the same way but I guess I just assumed so.
              What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Vectra 3d is another product now sold by vets. It not only kills but repels and also repels mosquitoes and some other biting flys

Comment

Comfortis is the only flea medication that I have personally seen that actually works down here.

Comment

Flea Protection

I groom for an Animal Med Center that sells both Comfortis and Vectra. I had great luck with Comfortis. Comfortis does NOT protect from ticks. If your dog has high tick exposier, use Vectra. It works great, but does leave a pretty good oily spot on the coat, even when applied to the skin as directed.

Comment

I buy the "developing immunity" theory. I've been seeing it (and saying it) for the past 3 years in our area w/ relation to Frontline. My clients pets and my kitties had had continual flea troubles, which had never been a problem in previous years.

As soon as I switched to Advantix...problem solved, and all of my clients have had the same result.
                      I guess it's just a question of time before the fleas rise above the Advantix too, but for now it's doing the trick.
                      Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Fleas here seem to be immune to all the "old" topicals,bad as I hate it, most including me are using comfortis, if I go to tick country I'll get a tick arrest collar I guess.
                        ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Mylady, you are correct. With spot-on products the fleas don't have to bite. But the sad fact is, during the time it takes for them to die, they do bite. Usually several times. The longer the product has been on the animal, the longer it takes for them to die, and some fleas may not die at all after the product has been on for a couple of weeks. So they have a chance to lay eggs.

That's the advantage products like Capstar and Comfortis have over spot-ons. Quick kill. Fleas do bite, but only once. Then they die. No time to breed and lay eggs. And if you have an animal that is highly allergic to flea bites, one bite is better than 4 or 5.

Comment

What, no shield?

A very common misconception among clients is that their pets won't get fleas at all if they're treated. What common sense, and a whole shibang of experience shows us is that the flea MUST land on the animal before the product can begin to work. It doesn't form a shield around the pet, it simply kills them (after a time). So a client may still see fleas, but they'll be showing signs of neurological issues (spinning around, lazily jumping, etc - the fleas, not the clients) so the owner knows it's working and the fleas are dying. I also tell my clients who have an infested animal that - after a dose of capstar and a topical treatment- if they go home and suddenly see fleas again, their house is infested as well. These products can only work so well. If you have a flea here and there, you MIGHT see an occassional flea on your pet. If you have TONS of fleas, you'll still see more until they can be killed. And if your product doesn't kill the larvae, you'll see the hatched flea until the product kills it. Sooooooo the point of this schpeel is to say that a dog/cat with flea prevention will still have fleas.

My question is are the fleas building an immunity to the products, or are they becoming so populated that the products don't seem to be working effectively. The companies will tell you it's the latter, that they're constantly 'perfecting' their product so that immunity doesn't happen, and therefore should be treated every 3 weeks if needed. Clients (and many animal savy people) believe the former; saying that you should switch products around so immunity doesn't happen. My opinion is that you need to use common sense. If your house is infested, no product can completely eradicate the that population. If you see one or two fleas on your pet, then your product could still be working. If you're seeing lots of fleas and your house isn't infested, THEN change products. But I believe it has more to do with population than product in MOST cases, but certainly not all.

*is shutting up now* hehe

Comment

Comfortis is the way to go. It has saved my sanity in my house!

Comment

Working...
                              X