Alcohol Bath...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol Bath...?

We have a shitz that comes in every 2 weeks for a bath. He has problems with his thyroid and is on meds for this. His skin is black on his neck chest belly and sides. When he comes in he is very greasy his hair is yellowish and he smells like a sweaty sock.

Her vet told her to bath him in rubbing alcohol to get rid of the dead skin cells, but when he comes in he has sometimes scratched himself so bad that he has big sores all over and sometimes are bleeding.

Now, would rubbing alcohol burn and irritate him even more?
    Have any of you ever heard of using this to bath with?

Well yeah!

Haven't you ever cut your finger, then got something with alcohol on it? Hurts like the devil!

Personally, I would refuse to do the alcohol bath until I spoke directly with her vet. I don't know your client from Adam, but she could just have easily got this idea from a friend, then told you it was the vet. And what happens when issues arise and she is forced to go to the vet because of what you did? There are many other things that can be used to degrease, without completely drying out.

Save your a$$ and call her vet. To me, common sense says that the alcohol will not only burn, but possibly have too much of a drying effect. *shrugs*

On the flip side, I have often considered giving myself an alcohol bath, but I'm thinking more along the line of Mike's thingys special brand.

Comment

It would sting like

H e l l.

Comment

Just try putting alchol on a cut-or even getting some ear cleaner with alchol on a cut. OWWWWWWEEEEE!!!! Maybe the owner needs to get a second opinion.
        Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Groomerchick View Post
          On the flip side, I have often considered giving myself an alcohol bath, but I'm thinking more along the line of Mike's thingys special brand.
          Atta gal!

As for the rubbing alcohol torture-bath...I've never heard of such a thing for the condition you describe. Yikes....I'm not using that vet!
          I agree 100% w/ insisting on conformation from the vet.
          Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

If there is ONE thing

i hope people learn from me it is this: When the customer says "the vet said" get it in writing! The customer may be lying or have misunderstood.
            "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
            People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Heck NO on the alcohol bath! I would want it in writing from the vet and a signed release from the owner so no one could come back and say "oh, you misunderstood what I told you"and even then I still dont know if I would do it. Alcohol on a dog with scratched and already sore skin.... I surprised that the vet did not prescribe them some type of medicated shampoo for the poor dog, maybe something like a benzoil peroxide or other medicated shampoo to remove the dead skin cells and help clean the skin. A chlorhexidine shampoo would be better than rubbing alcohol and would not sting the dogs skin...If the vet did indeed say that, I would be really surprised..

Comment

I second the chlorhexidene, leave it on for ten minutes.

Comment

I think I would put the dog on a regular schedule of a good bath with quality products. Maybe even one of the soothing skin products for a good soak. Follow it up with an outstanding conditioner. If done on a regular basis, good chance to see some results.

Since he's already coming in every 2 weeks, I'd switch products, go to once a week, and make sure you don't forget the conditioner. I'd also recommend they check the dog's thyroid levels to be sure they are in the right target area. And, are they sure there is not another underlying condition other than just low thyroid? Skin issues due to low thyroid are normally corrected when the dog gets the right amount of thyroid medication.

We don't know if the owner really interpreted what the vet said, and the other side of that is a lot of vets are indeed at a loss when it comes to skin issues.

Comment

I have a client who told me the vet said to wash their dog with open sores in Ivory soap. Thankfully I called the vet and found there was a HUGE miscommunication and Ivory soap would be the last thing the vet wanted used. The had bought a case of the stuff truly believing the vet had said Ivory soap. I use my chorhexiderm shampoo on him and it has helped a great deal.
                    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Even vinegar would sting so

can you imagine how alcohol would feel? Geee the vet could have sold her some overpriced presc shampoo. You know, the miracle shampoo only the vet can sell?

Comment

Food allergies, too?

Just a thought: My sister-in-laws Shih Tzu (puppy mill product) went through this last year. I'm not second guessing the vet, but the owners may want to look into changing the dogs diet. Oreo, my sister-in-law's dog, had terrible red flaking skin, smelled to high heaven and med weren't giving him much relief. She tried a number of no-grain processed foods (not on the vets advice) and it only helped temporarily. He now is on a combo home cooked and raw diet - no dog food at all and is doing wonderfully! Just something to mention to the owner.

Comment

I'd suggest checking with the vet, as others have suggested. And if possible, ask the vet about using something like a sugar scrub to help slough off those dead skin cells without irritating the skin further.

If the vet really did say to give alcohol baths, I'd be getting a second opinion.

Comment

Working...
                          X