Need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice

I have a AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD coming Monday they want it shaved. I don't think they want him shaved to the skin. So
    what sap-on and blade would you use? Thanks

I've talked my clients that want their Aussies "shaved" into a clip with the Wahl yellow SO comb and I use a 30 blade under all my SS SO's.
    The clients have all been very happy with that length...even if it means we re-do it around end of July-beginning August.
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Just remember if you use a snap on you have to get the undercoat completely brushed out or it wont go through. The best way to do that is to condition and HV the heck out if it while brushing. Make sure you get your hands on it to feel and see if you think that is possible before you agree it or you will find yourself having a very long, frustrating afternoon.

Comment

I have a couple that I do 1" eao. The trick to getting it to lay nice is major deshedding with a mars coat king.

Comment

We do a #1 or #2, depending on the wishes of the owner.

Comment

Jaden and Gracie's Mum are so right,...sorry, I was assuming that was given. I do what would be termed a full groom on these Aussies...then I cut it off. It's the only way I found to have it look 1/2 way decent.
            Last edited by 4Sibes; 05-14-10, 06:39 PM.
            Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I'm with doubledogdare....I usually use a #1 or #2 comb, on a well blown out and deshed coat....expect scissor/thinner work as well to really make it look smooth

Comment

I have done a few Aussies, in australia funny enough I have done them in a 7 which can look really really nice if the undercoat is blown out properly. A 3 looked good and I have done comb attachments before. They can look really, really good after a shave down.

I think aussies are lovely dogs, I wanted one for a while, but I admit there has often been an "Aura" of untrustworthiness to a lot of them when on the table. Can't explain it but often feel like a dog that could snap if provoked. Probably because a lot of them were working dogs that only came in once or twice a year...

Comment

We have several labs & aussies that come in (older dogs) Vets recommend clipping them short. Owners are happy with the 'Lab' length. I use the orange colored wahl SS.. ( it is equivalent to a #3... would not recommend it for all but for these guys.. looks great & helps the dogs.

Comment

I did one not to long ago and used a 3 3/34 blade. It took some time to make it look smooth all over but when done the dog was plushy and the owner loved it! Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by stonelizard View Post
                      Can't explain it but often feel like a dog that could snap if provoked. Probably because a lot of them were working dogs that only came in once or twice a year...
                      No disrespect intended, but, *I* could freegin snap if provoked. Jeez! ALL dogs can snap if provoked. If you are not comfortable doing an Aussie then OK, but, please don't try to project some mysterious unfounded fear onto other groomers due to breed prejudice. MANY groomers have breed prejudice, myself included. I won't get NEAR an Akita. Some groomers love them. It's ALL good in the end.
                      "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                      People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Before and after results

Before and after
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Williamson; 05-18-10, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X