Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I do not know how or if to reply to this email.what would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do not know how or if to reply to this email.what would you do?

I just got this email, I do not know what to say to her .I am mobile so my prices are more expensive that shops, should I just tell her to go to a shop? here it is.

Hello,
    My name is xxx and I have two mini schnauzers (about 25 pounds each). Im looking for a new groomer who could groom both dogs about every 8 weeks. With the ecomony as horrible as it is Im hoping you can give me a deal...
    Let me know what the bottom line best is you can do!
    Thanks!
    xxxx

My first impression, is why would you get two sch done every 8 weeks or so.I would like input what I would like to say, and what I should say are two different things!!!

Well, here is what I told someone who left me a similar message. My prices are lower than several shops in town already, however I do good work and I charge accordingly. Her two options were to keep her pets in a longer trim and that would be xx due to longer time involved in drying, and scissor finishing, or she could have her pets buzzed for a bit less. I understand times are tough, I am well aware as my husband has been unemployed for 18 months, so if she was ok forgoing a longer style for now, I was ok with buzzing her dogs down with a #7.
    I have a family with 5 schnz that I charge less because they get a #7. I would not discount a breed trim or anything over a buzz.

Comment

Dear XX,
      You must live near me! The economy on my street is HORRIBLE too!
      I give every one of my clients the bottom line best deal I can, but I can not quote a price without actually seeing the dogs. At minimum, you would be looking at a charge of $XX.00. (Or...$XXX.00 )
      Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

First play nice! Just send her your regular fees, no explanation necesary. Mobile is a luxury, I wouldn't give a price break still have overhead that I do not get a discount on, so why the he(* should she? This is the fee for a mini$&&& ,it includes___, The next available appointment is ----, please contact me if I may be of service. hit send a n save the evil for us! We need the laughs.
        ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Originally posted by maladee View Post
          My first impression, is why would you get two sch done every 8 weeks or so.I would like input what I would like to say, and what I should say are two different things!!!
          I am confused by that question. I have many snz that are done every 2-4-6-8 weeks, many in breed trim, some shaved down. It just depends on the clients preference. I dont discount grooms over 4 weeks, and am not mobile, but I KNOW that if i were I would never do it.
          <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I think

I will just quote my prices I was going to give her a laundry list of all my bills ,but I will play nice...

Comment

Originally posted by odette View Post
              Just send her your regular fees, no explanation necesary.

This is the fee for a mini$&&& ,it includes___, The next available appointment is ----, please contact me if I may be of service.
              I completely agree. I don't discount my prices. The services I provide are not discount services. So I would just give the price without any explanations.
              "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

I too think 8 weeks is reasonable on a good schnauzer trim. Many groomers leave way too much skirt and leg hair, it's not supposed to be that long! Quote what is normal and go from there.

Keep in mind too, we've all been told it never hurts to ask, so many times people just double check on a lowest price option because of this idea that it "never hurts to ask."

Comment

oops

Parti my fingers were not typing what my brain was thinking(LOL)

I guess I meant; IMHO ,if you were to keep a sch in a breed clip with full furnishings that you may wish to have them on a 6wk schedule. But that is not to say you cannot go longer and still maintain the coat

I did email her back and told her that, I know the economy is tough, it is hard on all of us, then I explained that I pay taxes,insurance, and business license , ect..(I did not what her to think I was a fly by night operation) and I do the best job I can on every dog. Then I told her my prices.I will see if I hear back!!

Comment

I would just ignore much of what she said and just be straightforward "Thanks for your email. My services are blah blah blah. For two schnauzers in good condition (little to no matting, flea free and behavior appropriate), my prices start at $. Additional fees may apply for matting or behavior difficulties that require extra time and effort. These charges are ($ per extra time or aggravation). I also require all of my clients to be on preventive flea control. Extra fees may apply if flea issues are encountered" (I added this because I would be suspicious that this person may be scrimping on flea control). Just be professional, upfront. Don't cut deals and don't be sucked into explaining why you don't.

Comment

Like most, I would just send the price. I really like the persons suggestion about "You must live near me, the economy is terrible on my street too" LOL. I probably wouldn't use it as it does not fit with my customer service views but I love it and would wish I could!!!

Comment

The only people I discount are the ones who come in every 4 weeks. After that its my regular price. My husband was out of work for nine months too.
                        I had a client just 2 days ago do the same thing to me. She had a yorkie & a chih she would cringe at the price then. Well the yorkie passed away and she felt the need to buy 3 new yorkies. They came in on wednesday 2 were matted. we clipped them with a 3/4 snap. when I told her the price she freaked. Now they are 6 months old full grown in my opinion! They are tiny yorkies. My policy is if they get a cut the price starts at XXXXX for all small dogs. So she was like " I thought you where going to give me a break until the were full grown" Well any way I took $5 bucks off each yorkie because I would rather loose $15 than $140. She still tipped $20. Go figure! I have another client like her too.
                        They yorkie lady just had them fixed. My assistant used to work at her vet. They told her what a stink she put up about the price and how she should have got a deal because she has 3!
                        I have 1 dog and she is expensive I'm looking to adopt another but before I do I'm going to make sure I can afford her care!

Comment

I agree that just giving your price estimate was the best way to go. I don't know of any other business that would try to justfy their prices, and I don't understand why we should be any different.

As far as discounts go, I only have one client that I do that for. He's a wonderful old gentleman, and probably doesn't need the discount, but his dog comes in every 4 weeks, never has a mat on her, is a delight to groom, and takes me all of 45 minutes, start to finish. By our price schedule she should be about $5 more than what I charge. But she's so easy to do, I just don't feel like I spend enough time on her to justify the additional money. Besides, he's a really good tipper. REALLY good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jadenlea View Post
                            I really like the persons suggestion about "You must live near me, the economy is terrible on my street too" LOL. I probably wouldn't use it as it does not fit with my customer service views but I love it and would wish I could!!!
                            What sort of complete imbecile would EVER use that? That is SO unprofessional.

oh. nevermind.
                            Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

4sibes would never say anything unprofessional, Northern breed people are alway sweet ,just do not touch our feet or tail and were good. Also do not get us wet (almost forgot that).

Helly that bothers me too if I do not like the price my hairdresser (or anyone else charges ) I can go somewhere else,today my neighbor was having his lawn maintenance done (I would like my yard kept up too) I thought what would happen if I went over to the gentlemen doing the work, and asked "well since the economy is bad can I have a deal?".I think he would laugh at me.

Comment

Working...
                              X