It's okay to disagree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's okay to disagree

I think sometimes, especially younger groomers with less experience, need to hear this. That it is OKAY to not agree with every single thing a well known and accomplished groomer says or does. I promise, you get all the best groomers in the world in one room and there will be things they disagree upon. It doesn't mean that you don't respect that person or their opinions. Not everyone agrees with me all the time LOL, though it would make life easier for me Just don't be afraid to question or to even decide that something that works for someone else doesn't necessarily work for you.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

I agree. There are at least a handful of ways to do any one thing, and they all can be right.
    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
    www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

I agree, lol what makes sense to me may send someone else in a tailspin.
      ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

As a young groomer, what I've found to be the best is RESPECT those who have come before you and have more experience. Gather as much knowledge as you can from as many sources and then find a blend that works best for you. This does not mean agree with every tidbit from more seasoned groomers.

Comment

Originally posted by odette View Post
          I agree, lol what makes sense to me may send someone else in a tailspin.
          I AGREE, hehe

Actually, I do agree with all of the above opinions. My apprentice will ask me how to do something and I tell her how I do it, but there are many ways and to find what works best for her. As long as it works, is safe for her and the dogs, then it's "right" As long as your still asking questions and seeking answers, you are growing.

I think some people get so hung up on being right, they can't see there may be many answers to the question!

Comment

I disagree with you MyLady!!!!!!! (snicker)

Comment

I disagree. LOL!
              "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
              People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I agree also!!!

I have had groomers fresh out of school show me a thing or two, and I was happy that they spoke up and showed me I taught another groomer that had more experience than me how to wet shave ,she was very grateful.

When you put your ego away you learn more stuff.

Comment

There are many ways to do things, many different tools are available and we all are very different as people. Some are left handed, some right, tall short, thin, 'reubenesk' and everything in between. Back in the day we had fewer choices, blades & clippers were only a couple of manufacturers...

Today, we have so many different tools, so many different techniques, so many different products.. all to 'fit' each of us as individuals so long as you are grooming safely, you pets are happy, your owners are happy... it is all good.

Ive gone to seminars, seen beautiful dogs groomed... what I see at my salon... average family pets, farm dogs and a good deal of matted dogs. I only see a few really well kept pets and a few very concerned owners. I would like to be able to have really kept dogs that I could really do fancy grooms but I mostly see strips, puppy cuts and shorter (way shorter) versions of breed patterns.

Comment

My mentor had an interesting illustration, this is from a loooong time ago!LOL
                    Treat tips,tricks and such as a trip to the store. Take what you need and leave the rest on the shelf for the next customer!

It's always worked for me...

Comment

Originally posted by mylady View Post
                      I think sometimes, especially younger groomers with less experience, need to hear this. That it is OKAY to not agree with every single thing a well known and accomplished groomer says or does.
                      I think some "old timers" could stand a lesson in this as well. Younger groomers might see things in a new and innovative ways. AND there is more than one way to accomplish most things.
                      "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

What bugs me is that the groomer I work with now expects me to do everything her way. She has five years of experience, while I only have two, so a lot of what she shows me is great. But some of it, like NEVER use a Furminator because they don't work (????), drives me nuts.

Comment

LOL i agree mylady!!! at my last shop i wouldnt even open my mouth...because anything i said would be shot down. best to keep my mouth shut. now the salon im at now....i even taught the owner something new! i always put a towel down on the table before drying a dog....she never did it before and will now do it also. it helps to trap the flying water so the table top isnt all wet, you can notice if there is any fleas,ticks,or a quicked nail and there is no mess to the table top. now to bad we couldnt do it on the grooming table...then all ya gotta do is shake it off onto the floor and walah! but she taught me something too....she gives the majority of dogs a false skirt (ie goldens, and smaller dogs that are in patterns) so its less mess for the owners to have to deal with it, we arent spending time trying to comb out a tender area and hurting the dogs and no one will ever know unless the dog rolls over!
                          its a very good idea and i really like it.
                          but yes...read and study and learn all you can!!!
                          little tips and tricks that you can pick up are amazing!
                          Hound

Comment

Excuse me... but you all are supposed to listen to me and do exactly what I say.... I am ALWAYS right :-)

ohhhhh, then I wake up and realize my name isn't dictator.

Comment

I learned from a newbie groomer several years ago to use 2 canine II's (if you have 2) to dry out the bulk of a big hairy dog (if the dog cooperates, obviously), and it cuts down dry time IMMENSELY!!! I can wash and dry most St Poos-even with a fair amount of hair-in 45 mins or less...great trick! So yes, there is always something to be learned-even from newbies! I will suggest things if I see someone struggling, but ultimately, everyone needs to do what suits them as long as it is safe...

Comment

Working...
                              X