Is this my fault?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this my fault?

I groomed a goldendoodle who has not been done since last july by me. Dog was a pelt! was able to get a 7 clipper vac in most places, and a 10 on a few spots. Ears I got a 4 cliper vac on. anyway, dog was fine, took her back in the house was chatting with the older couple about keeping her groomed, blah, blah. Well she did have 1 infected ear, told them about that. she was walking around and I saw blood on the tip of her ear, took her in van, washed it off, could not see a cut at all, bleeding stopped, then started back to house, and other ear was bleeding in smae spot, did same thing, could not see a cut. Question is, she was shaking her head alot, could that be from her ears hitting the side of her head? They were matted to her head, and now they could swing around... Should I have done something differently? The owners were not upset, they thought she cut them on the bushes even though I said no, and told them what I thought it was. Sorry if this sounds dumb.

I have had matted dogs do this before. Thier ears are severly matted and when you shave them and clean thier ears, they shake thier heads so hard they make the ears bleed. Sometimes it cannot be helped. The owners are at fault for letting the dog get in that bad of shape.

Comment

I had that happen with a cocker. Luckily I work for a vet, so as soon as I got all the hair off I had the vet check her over. Sure enough, by the time she went home, a hemotoma was occuring. Don't know what advice they gave the client tho.
      Anytime I have a dog with really bad matted ears, I let the client know that a hemotoma can happen from all the shaking, and the tips of the ears tend to bleed from slapping the top of the head, due to all the shaking.

Comment

Was it on the tips of her ears? I've had dogs ears that swell with blood after taking the matts off and then they shake and it breaks the blood vessels. Looks almost like the blood is just seeping through the skin, which is probably what it is. I think it's called a hemotoma.

Anyway to help avoid it again, just shave a little bit off the ear, then go to another part of the body, then a little more off the ear, etc etc. Til bit by bit you get the ear shaved, but go slowly! This lets teh blood flow back in gradually as opposed to having the blood rush the the ear tips and pool there waiting to wreak havoc.
        Erin
        No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

No it's not your fault. Any dog that is in horrible shape is bound to have at least 1 cut. The dog could have had sores (even if you didn't see any) from being matted for so long. Also if the dog was shaking her head and she had an ear infection it could just be some blood from inside the ear getting thrown out. It could be many things. Some things are unavoidable. Don't worry about it. Even the best groomers make mistakes. As long as you told the owner and she is alright with it don't worry.
          Becky

Comment

Like the others have mentioned, this is probably a hematoma (sp) that was caused by the matted ears, not by anything you did. What you can do in the future to help prevent this is to slowly shave the ears and massage while you are doing it to help the blood flow normally again.
            SheilaB from SC

Comment

They Are Broken Blood Vessels ...

The ears flapping against the head causes broken blood vessels. It happens on the tips. I had it happen to a white dog last year. The dog looked like it had red earrings. I explained it to owner. She had me grom 2nd dog and I groomed them once after that, then she called to say her husband lost his job and they could not afford me. Who knows if true or not. Anyway, they can fill up with blood. Some vets take advantage and put the dog under and release the buildup of blood. They will dry up in time on their own, with no vet expense. Glad your clients didn't freak out. That is why Schnauzers with cropped ears are nice. To prevent this, you can advise the owner to tape ears across the head until the ears don't feel odd to the dog in a day or so.Or get permission from owner to do this. You know the medicassl wrap that sticks to itself. Pet supply sells it, and it comes in colors. Human wrap is usually flesh colored.The wrap is stretchy.Ryans catalog page126 health care and first aid Brantom simple solution pet wrap.

Comment

I've never seen that happen before but I think it's possible. I've seen dogs wag their tails so much and hit them into the wall that it bleeds at the tip. Never say never I guess.

Comment

Ear tips

Most all of the post have answered your question. I once had a poodle x that was very matted. The hair on the ears was so tight that the tips actually fell off. The hair had become so matted and allowed to get wet and dry that it became so tight the circulation was cut off and the leather died. Note when it fell of there was no bleeding. It probably had been disconected for some time.

Comment

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post
                    Like the others have mentioned, this is probably a hematoma (sp) that was caused by the matted ears, not by anything you did. What you can do in the future to help prevent this is to slowly shave the ears and massage while you are doing it to help the blood flow normally again.
                    Now, I did not know this, never heard of it. That is why I love coming here. I just learned something new. It is good to know because if something like this happened to me, I would flip thinking I did something. It is also important to know you can prevent it by slowly shaving and massaging the ears.
                    www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                    http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

The same thing can happen with feet, if the mats are tightly wound around the leg that the circulation has been reduced. I've even seen one dog that had a mat so tight around his back leg that the lower leg had to be amputated. Just like an imbedded collar, the mats had cut into the flesh all the way to the bone.

Comment

Yep, sounds like a hematoma forming.

The blood doesn't circulate well through the ears when they're really matted (amazing you got a #4 through them). So after the mats come off, the blood rushes, the dog feels it, it feels funny, shakes its head a lot, and poof! A hematoma forms---it looks like a little pillow of blood, but starts out as you mentioned, sometimes.

Usually this is all it takes for owners to realize they shouldn't let the dog get into that condition.

Tammy in Utah
                        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Yes a hematoma

I had the exact same thing happen today. A bichon. Matted to the gills! The ears were solid. I did a little at a time- the dog was freaking out. Alot of TLC and baby talk. I could see the bottom of the ears start to fill up with blood. Had to use a 10 on the ears. I massaged, left them and came back to them, the whole thing but to no avail. They both developed hematomas. The poor dog was so uncomfortable. Kept shaking it's head. I called the owner, explained the situation and asked if she wanted me to finish the groom. She said yes. Then I saw blood on the ears. I have to guess that because mats break down the skin that the skin on the edge of the ear leather was fragile and the shaking of the head allowed that to happen. I DID NOT cut the dog and kept the matted ears for proof. No blood on the shaved coat. I didn't pluck or clean the ears and told the owner when it either clears up or she sees her vet then come back in and I will finish the ear cleaning. I did not want to give this poor thing any more reason to shake it's head. The woman understood but took the ear hair to show her husband who refused to believe her that is was mats. He said the dog did not need grooming.
                          Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Comment

Yes Spikey......

That is exactly what happens. It is called a hematoma. It can also occur if the ears are full of wax; you clean them and they feel funny. The dog shakes his head and flap, flap , then a fat hemotoma is the result. I like Derma pet ear cleaner but it often makes dogs shake their heads. I worry it will cause the hematoma situation. you know, some clients freak, even tho Fluffy hadn't been groomed in four months, and the nails sooooo long one bleeds. Kwik stop is not as good as it used to be. You think it stopped bleeding then the dog goes nuts on the carpet and starts it up again. Nail bleeding is the bain of my grooming exsistance. Dremel...I don't like or use as often.In a shop, you have time for the nails to really stop bleeding....mobile you don't.

Comment

Not always

Originally posted by mustluvdogs1 View Post
                              Some vets take advantage and put the dog under and release the buildup of blood. They will dry up in time on their own, with no vet expense.
                              I had a Lab with severe allergies. There were a couple of times that he formed a huge hematoma in his ear leather from incessant head shaking. Those times did call for a trip to the vet, him knocked out, the ear lanced and a drain put in. Nasty stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X