Hair got in dogs eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair got in dogs eyes

after grooming a standard poodle, I walked him up the hill to his home and he was so happy and prancing. His Mom had left me a note for the next appointment, and after reading it and writing her back I opened the door to the house to leave. I turned to look at the dog, and he started blinking his eye. I stopped to watch and he closed his eye tight and cryed. I ran back to my truck and got saline and tried to flush his eye out but he kept his eye closed. So I called his Mom and she came right home and freaked out. I told her that if she wanted to take him to the vet I would pay for it. She didn't go and said if she did go she wouldn't feel right charging me. But it was scary even if he is a drama king watching him with his eye closed. It must have been the little hairs from his topnot that fell into his eye and poked it. I used tearless blueberry facial around his eyes and I know I didn't poke him, but he kept his eye closed the rest of the day. Didn't open it until the next day. Yikes. Does this happen often to anyone? Is there a better way to handle it?

I'm not going to postulate on what it could be because there are soooooooooo many things it could be and at this point it's just speculation. But this did happen to me and it turned out to be a previous abrasion from earlier in the day.

I will say that I've seen enough dogs with hair in their eyes be perfectly fine to believe that it doesn't really bother them. I mean, look at OES for heaven's sake. Or any show lhasa apso or tibetan terrier. I don't have any scientific info to back that up, but anecdotally, I just can't see it.
    There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by OntheBRINKofDisaster View Post
      I will say that I've seen enough dogs with hair in their eyes be perfectly fine to believe that it doesn't really bother them. I mean, look at OES for heaven's sake. Or any show lhasa apso or tibetan terrier. I don't have any scientific info to back that up, but anecdotally, I just can't see it.
      Having hair that falls across the dog's eyes is quite a bit different than having a cut splinter of hair in the eye itself. I've had a hair splinter in my eyeball. It really bothered me.

Comment

I like to use a couple of drops of safe eye before the bath (got it in petedge). It helps keep hair and/or shampoo from irritating the eye. Tf you get too much of it on the fur it may get greasy as it has mineral oil in it.

Comment

I did a Bichon where some hair got onto the eye. The owners saw the piece of hair and thought I had cut the eye (seeing the line) and rushed her to the vet, called me crying wanting to know what happened etc. Well, the vet laughed at them as he wiped the little piece of hair off the eye and told them it was no big deal and they called me to apologize for accusiing me of doing something. Beisdes seeing the hair on the eye and thinking it was some sort of damage to the eye, the dog didn't act like she was in any pain, so I don't know.
          What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Hair in the eye usually doesn't bother a dog as much as it bothers a human. Even pokey little hair splinters. It's an anatomy kinda thing.

But don't discount things like the blueberry facial. Any dog can have an allergic reaction to anything. Even blueberry facial. And it will irritate the eyes of sensitive individuals. There's no such thing as a 100% tearless shampoo or facial. There will always be that odd animal that reacts.

I also groom a standard Poo who's face will turn bright red, swell up, and start looking like he was bobbing for french fries if I clip his face with anything shorter than a 7, or if I clip too close to his eyes. That hair has to be scissored off, looks pretty chunky, but at least his eyes don't swell shut.

Comment

Yup! I was at a ssdw & had to do a #7 shave down on a Komondor. He got a hair in his eye, rubbed it with his for days and days and his mom finally took him to a vet. A few days later after not using the eye drops given by the vet she called my boss and her her meet up at the vet's appt. The owner was pouring tears, SCREAMING at the top of her lungs, wringing her hands and wailing that I needed to admit what I had done! She was POSITIVE I had cut that big badly behaved idiot with scissors. My boss was a total loser throughout the visit and kept saying, "I am SO SOOOOOOOOOOOORY that this happened". (Needless to say she did NOT have my back on this one.) What really pissed me off about my boss' reaction was she had 15 years of HR behind her & should have been trained to handle it better.

The vet finally made the pet owner stop acting like she was off her rocker & told her flat out, Look...Your dog is NOT going to go blind & this is NOT a major deal. It is a MINOR inconvenience, etc. FINALLY! a grown up got involved.
              Last edited by Smart-n-Pretty; 05-13-10, 10:46 PM.
              "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
              People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I groom a bichon whos eyes swelled up after I groomed her. Next time owners came in they wanted to know what I feed her because she has allergies and her eyes swell up afterwards. I told mom nothing I never give treats or food to peoples pets. So I groomed her and used blueberry facial on her like I always do. After the groom her eyes started swelling up and she started to scratch them. Anyway I wont be using blueberry facial on her anymore

Comment

Go to a pharmacy and buy Eye Wash. I keep it on hand. If I dog gets hair in its eyes I will out a few drops in each eye and it helps remove the hair. I consulted with my vet before I started to do this I wanted to make sure it was ok first.

Comment

Grrrr

I had a bichon come in-had been about 5 months since last groom, so you can well imagine that he is a MESS. Sooo, we cut him down-didn't do anything out of the ordinary-but when he was done, I noticed that he was squinting his eyes. I sent them right to my vet figuring he reacted to the shampoo or something. Well, I have never liked this customer-he is always trying to dicker price with me-and he made some sob story to MY vet (okay, I am speculating here), and walked out of that clinic with $150 in charges-multiple meds, shots, etc. I don't blame my vet, I think they were just trying to cover their booty because the guy was such a nut job. The dog had MAJOR abrasions on his eyes, so they sent him to an opthamologist. Great. Long story short, I paid out $289 to find out that the dog has dry eye. I PAID to have this flipping dog diagnosed with this. The guy threatened me that he will FIGHT to make sure that this problem with his dog is taken care of because I told him I wouldn't cover anything else. He would FIGHT it? After neglecting to bring the dog in for grooming for several months AND the dogs teeth needed to be tended to REALLY bad!? I was livid to say the least. Well, we take all kinds of precautions now, check eyes before we groom, etc. Expensive lesson learned, even though it wasn't our fault. Kind of related...lol.

Comment

I use South bark's BBF

It might be tearless but it stings like a son of a gun.I had a dog shake some into my eyes it stung for a good 10 minutes even after flushing out my eyes.Since then I don't get it near the eyes at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X