Dr Phil show on Dog Fighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Phil show on Dog Fighting

Did anyone else see the show on Dog Fighting? I wouldn't have except the wife has it set to record daily. Two days ago he did a show where a guy actually came on that had been convicted on dog fighting and was there to defend it......he called it a blood sport that was no different than ultimate fighting, boxing, etc. My jaw dropped and then I wanted to bust into my tv and kill this guy. He said all those fighting dogs are well cared for, better than the fee fee dogs that we all call family pets.....he want on to say they get well fed and are well cared for.

Seriously!!!!!!! Village Idots like this one should be tied up to a post and let those dogs mall them to death as punishment. Luckily the entire show didn't get taped or I would have been up all night tonight burning mad. I'm not so sure I wouldn't have shut it off anyway. It sickened me.

I saw it. I contemplated not watching it. I just can't handle stories like that. Heck I cry just for the Shelter commercials with sarah mcgloughlin singing "Arms of an angel"

I liked the part where the guy justifying his dog screaming in pain and panic by saying "oh we were just testing her to see if she has the ability to be a fighter" and the big guy from Rescue inc asked "OH YA?? Would you like to be tested???" hehe I wish Dr Phil would have let him punch him.

I love Dr Phil and he usually does a great job with his shows but I wish he would have given people more options on HOW to help instead of just riling people up with the stories. When Oprah does her dog shows, she always has multiple options at the end of the show for people to take action in some way so they can vent all the emotion she stirred up.

Comment

I have to agree with you.. Lets use all these cruel people as raw food for the dogs that they have taken advantage of. That is how I feel it is no different than taking advantage of a kid since dogs are so loyal and will do anything to please us, one of the saddest things is that they can be so abusve to these dogs and the dogs remain so loyal.

I do rescue for Bull Terriers and I have seen the affects of a dog used as bait, luckly I have never taken one in cause I would end up keeping him. But to think that a human being can be that cruel to another living create sickens me. But think about it Michael Vick was slapped on the wrist and then did time as a felon and he gets out and makes big buck doing what he loved and all the while our childern to look up to this man. He should of never ever been allowed to play football again. What message are we sending our childern. Maybe we could go back to public hangings for people like vice except do like you said tie him to a post and let the dogs feed...But thats inhumane.

There use to be Vick dolls for the dogs to play with maybe we should all carry them. (LOL) Just my opinions!

Comment

No, didn't see it, luckily!

Too bad he wasn't on Oprah. She would have ripped him a new one! How can he not see the difference? I agree, he should be tied to a post and the dogs allowed to maul him!

Comment

Actually, I know a groomer who feels the exact same way as this man after reading some books about it. She feels it's what they were bred to do and that it should be legalized. I about fell over when she told me. She said all the stuff that we see on TV is just propaganda.
          What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

You know MyLady, I can in a small TEENY Tiny way see where your friend is coming from. I certainly do not agree...but I can see how pure logic would say...People fighting is a sport..why is dog fighting so bad?

But people don't fight to the death. (usually) People don't get kept on chains in filthy yards with no shelter , people don't practice on innocent victims and babies (bait dogs) people are not abused and battered to incite exploding rage. People don't rip off eachothers body parts. People are not forced to go without medical attention and if they are injured, get a bullet in the head. If people don't get to spend time in the ring they don't attack, maul, kill other things because they don't know how to do anything else. They are not electricuted, forced to brutally breed. On and on and on

So even if there are some logical people with constitutions who can look at the issue without emotion and can see just the fighting part as a sport, I don't know how ANY stable human being can excuse all the disgusting things that go with it.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jadenlea;412673]You know MyLady, I can in a small TEENY Tiny way see where your friend is coming from. I certainly do not agree...but I can see how pure logic would say...People fighting is a sport..why is dog fighting so bad?

People also get to decide to fight these poor animals get no say in the matter. To say they were bred for it is just a cope out. I'm with the others on this one tie these folks to a post dump dog food down their shorts and let the dogs they've treated so well have at them. It makes me sick....
              "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
              and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
              www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

I didn't see it. I cannot even watch stuff like this because I get too upset and it plagues me for days.
                I seek to find some comfort in remaining ignorant about some of what goes on in this world.
                Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Luckily as it came on I was runnig out to go train my dog, I just get so &^%$ mad that I get violent myself,towards those so called people. I saw my first cock fight as a 5 year old, ran around stealing roosters for days. It was not my parents that took me,when they found out why I was stealing roosters they nearly killed the neighbor!
                  ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

I didn't see it, but just as well. It's truly disgusting what some people do in exchange for the unfailing loyalty that animals provide

Comment

Odette, you were one TOUGH five year old!
                      "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                      People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

She believes that the people who truly enjoy the sport actually take very good care of their dogs and that all the stuff you see on TV about bait dogs and abuse is propaganda to get people against legalizing it as a sport. Believe me, I've tried to talk to her til I was blue in the face but she's convinced.
                        What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Originally posted by mylady View Post
                          She believes that the people who truly enjoy the sport actually take very good care of their dogs and that all the stuff you see on TV about bait dogs and abuse is propaganda to get people against legalizing it as a sport. Believe me, I've tried to talk to her til I was blue in the face but she's convinced.
                          She almost has a point. Almost. And before I go any further, please let me assure you that I am not in any way condoning dog fighting.

But I have had the opportunity to become aquainted with, and have discussions, with several old pit men. Those are the people who wrote all of those books, and they wrote them about the way dog fighting was conducted back in the day. And yes, what your friend believes about how fights were conducted was once pretty close to the truth.

The dogs WERE well taken care of. Many of them lived as family pets when they were retired, and they were retired fairly quickly, either by attaining a "championship" or by proving themselves to be unfit as a fighter. Champion fighters were retired because they were much more valuable as breeding stock than they were in the pit. And dogs that couldn't cut the muster were mustered out, so to speak, because they were worthless. Sometimes an unfit bitch was used for breeding, but never an unfit male. Yes, some of those were euthanised, but not all, by any means. There are other activities these dogs can be used for; hunting, guarding, weight pulling just to name a few.

What your friend doesn't understand is that those days are gone. Few true pit men remain in the business. Most of those who are still alive have gone into other, less brutal sports, like hunting, sparring (not a fight, it's more like the sparring that goes on in the terrier ring at dog shows) and weight pulling. Why? Because they can't stand to see what dog fighting has become.

And what it has become is exactly what we all think it is. A brutal blood sport, where dogs are tortured and killed. Or it's a couple of thuggie-wanna-be's who just toss their two dogs together and call it a dog fight.

Comment

Working...
                          X