Groomer pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groomer pay

I am wondering how anyone with employees (mobile or shop but preferrably mobile) pays thier employees, commisssion, hourly and how much. Also how much of a commission would be the lowest commission any groomer would work for and be happy with thier job and not out looking for something different that pays more. Also at that hourly or commission rate what do you supply for the groomers or groomers who work for a salon/vet what do they provide for you...equipment, shampoo, health insurance, vacation pay, maternity pay etc. Thank for anyones help

Since, I have always owned shops and Mobiles- I will answer your questions.

As of January we are now strictly a Mobile Business. I pay by commission and I pay on an escalated pay scale.
    Under $1000 gross revenue for the week = 40%
    $1000-$1300 = 45%
    $1301 or more = 50%

We accept credit cards and they keep 100% of their tip (if someone puts a tip on CC, I don't take out the CC fee).

I do it this way because I know how much it costs to run my business (pretty much to the penny). With this info, I know how much I need to make so I pay them accordingly. I do not guarantee anything else but I do give other things if the business is making the money.

I take them to 1-2 grooming shows per year and sometimes pay for transportation but always pay for room, registration and a couple of meals. I always do a Holiday Party, Company Summer event (take them to a Theme Park, etc). I give gifts regularly (IVac clipper, Coach Datebook, Vera Bradley Purses), I send them thank you notes frequently, paychecks are always on time and good. My first Mobile Employee is still with me to this day, I have little turn-over and believe that my employees are happy. I am not saying that I haven't had the occasional "cheat/witch" but they are few and far between and the few that have been the "cheat/witch" have eventually come to try and make amends.

I would suggest that before you ever consider a pay schedule that you FIRST know how much it costs to run your business.

Comment

My groomer makes 50% if she does her dogs start to finish. I she has a bather its reduced to 45%. My bathers make between 8-10hr + tips. They get all the bath dogs. So my groomer only does dog & cats who need cuts.
      When I opened I gave my previous groomer 50% on everything she groomed bath dogs and all. I was told I was crazy by my fellow peers. When I switched it to my current method I saw a change in my financal stituation and everyone is happy. This works for me! :-)

Comment

We pay our groomers percentage. Ive worked in places where they pay by the hour... my experience has been no matter what anyone says.. there will be people who 'avoid' getting things done to milk the hours. By paying percentage.. you get what you work for! no free rides. I knew one gal, didnt like the 'new owner' so she purposely took twice as long to do dogs... every excuse in the book, the rest of us worked our tails off.

Comment

Originally posted by Gracy Rose View Post

As of January we are now strictly a Mobile Business. I pay by commission and I pay on an escalated pay scale.
          Under $1000 gross revenue for the week = 40%
          $1000-$1300 = 45%
          $1301 or more = 50%

We accept credit cards and they keep 100% of their tip (if someone puts a tip on CC, I don't take out the CC fee).

I do it this way because I know how much it costs to run my business (pretty much to the penny). With this info, I know how much I need to make so I pay them accordingly. I do not guarantee anything else but I do give other things if the business is making the money.

I take them to 1-2 grooming shows per year and sometimes pay for transportation but always pay for room, registration and a couple of meals. I always do a Holiday Party, Company Summer event (take them to a Theme Park, etc). I give gifts regularly (IVac clipper, Coach Datebook, Vera Bradley Purses), I send them thank you notes frequently, paychecks are always on time and good. My first Mobile Employee is still with me to this day, I have little turn-over and believe that my employees are happy. I am not saying that I haven't had the occasional "cheat/witch" but they are few and far between and the few that have been the "cheat/witch" have eventually come to try and make amends.

I would suggest that before you ever consider a pay schedule that you FIRST know how much it costs to run your business.
          Geez Kristin, I wish every business owner had ethics like you! Lol.
          There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

You wouldn't happen to be looking for another groomer would ya? lol
            I wish my boss was that nice. In the year and a half I've been working here I've been complemented ONCE, and I was lucky to get that. My co-worker and I bust our butts, and the only thanks we get is being yelled at some more. Oh well, hopefully there will be greener pastures soon.

Comment

Gracy Rose, you rock : ) This pretty much answers most of what I wanted to call you about. Now I don't have to pester you! It gives me some idears on how to do the math...

Comment

Paws,

Red velvet cupcakes = pestering me all you want :-)

Comment

I wish that I knew how to get the message across to employees as well as employers. My best way to explain it is- how many of you are Harry Potter fans? You know in the last when he hears the prophecy "neither can live while the other survives", I think that is how it is with employee and employers: neither of us can make a living if we are just surviving. We all have to be happy and make money.

It burns my butt when I read posts from groomers who say "I won't work for anything less than 50%, I won't do this and I won't do that". I don't get it, 50% of what? I would rather make 25% on a $200 groom then 100% of a $10 groom. But, if you are trying to make as much money as the owner then you need to be your own owner.

As a business owner we have invest blood, sweat and tears and since I used our personal money I truthfully say "I did some on my back...lol". Anyway, back to the point: As the owner, I am the first one to go without a paycheck when times are tough. I am the one who has to work late hours if you decide to call in. I am the one who gets blamed when you do a cruddy job.

But, my business can only be so big and so good without you. Because of you, I can feel rest assured that my business is in safe hands when I am sick or on vacation. Because of you my business is growing and making more money.

Therefore it is a give/give relationship. The bottom line is: I can't go financially broke to pay you. I deserve to make money and make more than you since I have more to lose. You deserve a good job with good pay. You deserve to work in a healthy environment where you are appreciated. I deserve respect if I provide these things to you. You deserve compliments and rewards for going above and beyond the call of duty. I deserve a loyal and trustworthy employee for providing you with job security.

Comment

Just some interesting thoughts.

On a one to one basis, groomers at 50% or higher ALWAYS make more than the owner. That's the way it works, just by the numbers. If the owner is making "more" it is only by having several employees, but one to one, nope the employee makes more than the owner.

I have MANY businesses among my consultation clients that know the gravy in grooming is bath only business. Of course you do both full serivce and bath only services, but if you setup a TRULY professional bathing dept, and they are amazing pros these bathers and how you operate that dept. Today these bathers range from $12 to $18 an hour depending upon local economies. So TRUE or FALSE? A well managed professional bathing dept, ALL pets hand dried, no cage drying meaning "more one on one labor cost", paying bathers quite well at $12 to $18 an hour, actually resulst in 30% to 50% more profit from the bath-only sector of the business compared to the full-service sector where groomers earn 50% or higher commission?

The answer is TRUE. Did it for decades and taught this for nearly 2 decades. I have many many sets of books besides our own that proves this is true and the work is impeccable. It's what you learn when you know the numbers and your staff and train "master" bathers, AND design the right kind of bathing/drying stations not using tables, and other "secrets." We will release all of this data in the 4th volume of Grooming Business in a Box series. Precisely how it is done and the actual proof.
                    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

I'm a groomer that works for less than 50% at certain times and proud of it! I actually work for Gracie Rose and I'm estactic with my pay/situation. My pay is a result of my efforts/work so if I bust my butt one week my paycheck reflects that. Most important to me is work environment. Even though 90% of the time I'm at the 50% scale, I'd work for less if it meant leaving a stressful, drainning shop for a employer who is a pleasure to work for. Loving what you're doing and where you're doing it at will far out way making a few $$ but being burnt out and under-appreciated.

Comment

Thanks, we are not hiring employees or anything like that currently or even in the near future we are just trying to iron some things out for if we did need to eventually. Gracy i am 1 of those groomers who normally doesn't want to work for under 50% but its not a "rule" of mine, i would never go into a shop and say heres what you will pay me or i will leave . I take into consideration what they provide as far as shampoo, sharpening etc, thier prices etc. I actually really like your pay scale because its not a commission where you can't work harder and make more and that is absolulty something i will remember if and when we look at expanding and adding employees. I think the gifts etc are huge because iv worked for places that give bonus of about 200-300 at christmas and had a christmas party and felt like i was in heaven . I also made 50% and i did not do a ton of dogs because i didn't need the money and at that point it was all just play money, the clients tipped very well and i drove about 40 min to a hour to work each day so although i wouldn't have liked to earn less if i did and had that pay scale i would have done more dogs and the owner would have made more off of me. I just like incentive i guess which is why im not at all a per hour person, iv heard many times it makes people work as a team and i just don't see it that way. I think in the end everyone should do what works for them, if the groomer applying for the job doesn't like the pay they will go somewhere else but if you are able to hire good groomers and retain them if it works it works. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Stephen knows what he is talking about and we did originally use that format. I believe that format is great for SALONS and salons where the owner doesn't groom at all.

In my area we don't get many just "bath" dogs. Also, we are now Mobile and a bathing station isn't possible. As a business owner I used the "bonding" method as a form of advertising and in my area it worked. A couple other salons in our area use the bathing station format.

The bonding method is:
                          No assembly line
                          Your groomer is you pet care person- they bathe, dry, groom and love on your pet.
                          Because your groomer KNOWS your pet they are easily able to notice changes in skin, find bumps, lumps or any other areas of concern for your vet.
                          Your pet gets the opportunity to bond with their groomer.

Comment

I wish that I knew how to get the message across to employees as well as employers. My best way to explain it is- how many of you are Harry Potter fans? ... I deserve a loyal and trustworthy employee for providing you with job security.
                            AMEN!

Comment

Originally posted by poodlepak
                              I think its comical when you say you had little turn over here is a partial list of your past employees in mobile{ Robin who was your first mobile girl but dosent work for you anymore Abby,Erika,Jen,Becky,Diane,April,Amy,Peggy,Gwen,Me linda ,Monica thats 12 plus the two that work for you now with a total of 14 people but you dont have a turn over.I know one person who will have to work a little harder to make up quarterly bills from the past . hint hint
                              Wow she went through that many employees since she owned the business! I went through more employees than that last year. (Bathers because I quit wasting my time on groomers) Doesn't sound like a huge turn over to me. Why are you coming on here and trashing a hard working business owner who is here trying to help people? You must be one of the cheat/witch on that list that didn't work hard enough to earn the more than generous pay package Kristin offers her employees. I am always amazed at employees that always want more no matter how well you treat them.

Comment

Working...
                              X