A little Puzzled?? How can this be??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little Puzzled?? How can this be??

Had a client call today and said that when I groomed her llasa 4 days ago that I left some fuzzy hair around her rectum and now she can't go to the bathroom. HUH?? I say " Is there a mat or something obstructing her anus?" She says no but she can't go to the bathroom and I saw some fuzz and I don't think she is able to go because of this. I really didn't know what to say to this so I told her I'd come over in the morning and go over her sanitary again. I know that what she's saying isn't possible but I want to see for myself. This is a lovely dog with NO mats to begin with so I know there's no obstruction but this is a new client and this is her second grooming with me. She did strike me as being odd and a little "airy". She said she's bathing her tomorrow and it's been less than a week since her grooming. She seems to really like the grooming but she's really anxious about this dog. The first time I went she literally got sick worrying about her dog. The dog is actually pretty good once you pry it out of Mom's arms. You know this is the first time I've ever had someone call and complain about anything so I guess I should feel fortunate. I just think this is silly. Please no one tell me that this can really happen. Because of the mom's strangeness I don't know if there is something really wrong with the dog or not but even if there is I'm pretty sure that a little fuzz would not completely stop a dog from pottying. Oh well I guess I'll see in the morn.
    ~*~Robin~*~
    "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

That's just weird! It sounds like the dog could have an obstruction or just really bad constipation, but I can't see how it could be related to grooming.

Comment

I groom some dogs that are super sensative with shaving around the bum area. Some client dogs I don't shave around that area at all.
      Having wrote that, it has nothing to do with them not being able to go. I can gather she might be sensative there and perhaps it hurts a bit after shaving...

Comment

Weird. After you go by & de-fuzz the dogs butt, maybe you should make that the last groom. It sounds like this client is probably too high maintenance and too much drama.

Good Luck.

Comment

No, no and no, lol

Of course it can't stop the dog from pottying!! Wait until you see a dog that has stool from several days or WEEKS caught in a lovely mass in the hair, plastering across the rectum - those dogs still "go", but they just increase the mess and make their poor skin raw!!

The mom is manufacturing things. I am sure the dog has pottied.

However, some dogs do weird stuff if the little prickly hairs bug them - like run from their rear ends, lots of sitting and biting at their sanitary areas, etc. Some owners see this and come up with different conclusions. This can also occur from clipper irritation (in which case you can usually see red skin) and in dogs that have had lots of close matting removed, and now feel air swirling around and tickling areas that have been covered up to the point that air couldn't really get through.

Good luck with this one - I would tell her that a little fuzz won't interfere with the dog's pottying, but you will be happy to remove a bit more if there is a bit bothering the owner.

Comment

Whenever I've had customers that have really strange requests...it only gets worse. This time it won't cost you anything but your time to deal with her, next time she may accuse you of something costly. If it were me, I'd be booked for weeks next time she calls.

Comment

Let us know. I can't wait to find out what the problem really is, because fuzz doesn't stop a dog up. Probably nothing wrong.

Comment

It's possible for a severe fecal mat to obstruct the anus so the dog can't go. But a little fuzz? Nope. If the dog in question honestly can't go, there's a reason. But it's not fuzz.

Comment

OK so I went out this morning and checked her butt and it looked clean and fine to me but I went ahead and clipped it to appease mom. She still thinks because there's some fuzz that she just wasn't able to go. She wasn't mean or nasty about it in fact she offered to pay me for coming. I hope this isn't the beginning of crazy problems every month. The dog is just a doll. My first really sweet llasa and never a mat or tangle. You know the first time I went there she told me that they'd been thrown out of every shop in town. Maybe it was "MOM" that was the problem and not the dog. I don't know.She told me that no one could handle the dog and the dog went ballistic so she was told that sedation was necessary for grooming. I've handled the dog 3 times now and not one sign of any sort of aggression. Just a perfect little angel. I don't know but something just feels off kilter to me. I guess I'll see how it goes next month when I go out.
                  ~*~Robin~*~
                  "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

Its the Mom, if she admitts she was thrown out maybe you could find out from where and talk to them? I would keep good notes on her and what you do with her dog. People like that have a way of turning and biting you in the @&&. If your intuition is telling you she could turn into a problem, I would listen to that!

Comment

Working...
                    X