How do you tattoo a fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you tattoo a fish?

No, really.....can anyone tell me how in the world you tattoo a fish???

http://www.underwatertimes.com/news....id=01769543281
    Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
    George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Well, according to the comments they're led into a glass tube and then the tattoos are applied in seconds with a laser. Of course, I have no idea how accurate the people writing in the comments are but sounds more likely then trying to tattoo a fish with a tattoo gun.

Comment

I worked in the pet industry (pet stores and wholesale pet supplies) since I was 19. I remember when they offered dyed fish. The death rate for this type of thing is astronomical. Sure they are cute, but I think it's wrong.
      "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Animal abuse as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

I can't believe this article! Yes, I've seen this, I do have a 90 gallon tank with cichlids. I do not think tattooing fish is a good idea, these are often molly's too which are live bearers. (if you're pro spay/neuter for dogs and cats you probably don't want to encourage live bearer fish tanks. it's just kind of one of those things. And I may be wrong, but when I first got into fish I had a molly have babies, and thought I was crazy seeing little fish, but found out about the live bearer thing, and a few made it, in a 10 gallon tank with other fish - almost un-heard of .

So, before buying fish look into sustainability, health issues, etc.. I actually feel very "wrong" now about having 2 parrot fish - but it took learning about them first. I would not buy another of them.

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyFluffer View Post
            I think the question should be...WHY in the world would you tattoo a fish?
            "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I don't agree w/ it either and I don't even think it looks good. With fish being so succeptable to stress and the importance of their slime coat, I can't imagine it's good for them. I'm not going to call it cruel (there are people who call docking, cropping, creative grooming and even Poodle show clips cruel), but I'll never buy one.

Comment

I suspect the tatoo is applied in the same manner that surgery is done on fish. And yes, they do surgery on fish. But I also suspect that very few of them survive. Just like very few survive being dyed. And the ones that do survive are never really healthy, and have a shorter life span than their unadulterated cousins.

Comment

from the research I have done through out the yrs many of these dyed or tattooed fish are treated with cyanide( knocked out cold). the death rate is very high and also as helly stated those that do survive are not healthy .. personally I think this is animal cruelty.

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyFluffer View Post
                    very carefully and with WATERPROOF ink in a LITTLE TINY tattoo gun, hehe

Comment

When I worked at a fish farm, they would tattoo some of the nicer kio when used for breeding--it was neat to watch! They would net and dry them a bit with a towel, tattoo them a bit, dip them and re-wipe them, tattoo the rest and then slather them in some iodine & AquaSafe fort heir slime coat--it was neat, but I never did it!
                      Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                      www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Originally posted by windywaycavaliers View Post
                        When I worked at a fish farm, they would tattoo some of the nicer kio when used for breeding--it was neat to watch! They would net and dry them a bit with a towel, tattoo them a bit, dip them and re-wipe them, tattoo the rest and then slather them in some iodine & AquaSafe fort heir slime coat--it was neat, but I never did it!
                        Is there anything you haven't done?????? LOL! Thanks for all your experience!

Comment

Working...
                        X