Mom-isms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom-isms

On this special day when we honor our mothers, it's good to remember some of their wisdom in what they told us. My own mom has been gone for 10 years, but her words and sayings still linger. One was 'Don't cross your bridges before you come to them'. What are some of yours?
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

I can still hear my mom's favoritest-dire-warning echoing in my ears: Yer eagle mouth is gonna git yer sparrow butt in trouble!
    Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
    George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar, Mines been gone 9 years.
      ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

It's been seven years now and every time I color my hair her words ring in my ears...." Are you really going to go out looking like that?"
        lol She had lots of great things she would say but I laugh everytime I change my hair color cause I remember how it would drive her crazy, She would always say this with a sly smile on her face. Oh how I miss her.
        "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
        and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
        www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

My mom has been gone for 13 years next week, but she was SOOOOOOO wise

"Never mix business with politics or religion, it will surely come back and bite you in the butt"

"When you tell them off, make them think you just paid them a compliment" (mom was great at this)

"Put the hay down where the short goats can eat it" (even people that are not "quick" could understand a statement made using this philosophy, be direct and to the point)

and somehow she must have KNOWN I'd end up where I'm at now (she didn't live to see me in this career) because she used to tell people that "Renee would drag home every stray she found, no matter what it was" She has been telling people this ever since I was very young and it seems she was right on about it!

It's great to remember all the things about my mom. She was a great woman, mother, friend, and mentor. She used to tell the funniest stories and was a great joke teller.

Comment

I'm fortunate enough to have mine in my life still with the health issues she has.

I can remember the "snotty" ones better than her funny ones but I JUST NOW remembered this one:

It's like thinking you're having steak for dinner and then coming home and realizing you're having hamburgers.
            ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
            Apparently common sense isn't all that common
            *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

"You are making me so mad I can't see straight."
              "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

"Oh, my GAWD! It looks like you put it on with a bricklayer's trowel!"

"How can you BREATHE with those pants/clothes so tight?"

"GO check on your father before he BURNS the HOUSE down!"

"GO check on your brother before he BLOWS the house up!"

"Be CAREFUL or you will put an eye out/break your neck/break your back/bust a gut doing that."

(as I was driving) [air hissing through teeth] !!!LOOK OUT!!! (other car was 3 miles away& driving 15 MPH)
                "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

"That hairdo looks like you stuck your finger in a light socket."

"Good GRAVY, Aunt Daisy!"

"Pretty IS as pretty DOES."

"CHILD, what are we gonna DO with you?"

"Are you gonna lay in bed all DAY?"
                  Last edited by Smart-n-Pretty; 05-09-10, 10:09 PM.
                  "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                  People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

My mom lives with my grandmother and has for 10 plus years. She says:

Never live with your mother! and "I never did like him".......that line is getting old after 14 year of being divorced.....
                    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Another one from my mom-"Don't count your chickens before they hatch".
                      Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Oooh, she had a few..so did my Grandma; especially my Grandma...
                        There was, "there is a right way and a wrong way to do everything"...
                        And the famous "child you've got more courage than brains"
                        to which they would later refer to the result as that I often "flew ass over teakettle",
                        and one of my favs- "...gagged a maggot with a cast iron stomach"..
                        But on the sweeter and more nurturing side,,there was the bushel & a peck (and a hug around the neck) song, or the fishy song...anyone remember the fishy song? Umpbumpdiddumdoddemwaddum-choo,,,Umpbumpdiddumdoddumwaddun-choo, .....,,,fim fishy, fim fishy, fim if yoocan, and they fam and they fam right over the dam..." still sing those songs to my kids.
                        I think the only bit of advice that I can remember getting isn't anything that I'd want to share,,mostly from my Mom I learned what not to do in life, but still there's a lesson there...anyway, ohwell!
                        Luv you Mom, and Gramma, too.
                        Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                        www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Let me preface this by saying that my mother watches waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much on the news. And takes it all to heart.

"That thing's gonna fall and split your head open in an earthquake!"

"Did you check your email? There's a new date rape drug out. I sent you a link."

"Be careful getting gas. A man might ask you to smell some perfume. IT'S CHLOROFORM. He will RAPE AND MURDER YOU."

"What do you mean your don't have an emergency natural disaster kit in your car?"

"Have you read the latest findings on why young couples divorce?" *waggles eyebrows meaningly*

*in a loud stage whisper* "A man just sat next to you. WATCH YOUR PURSE."

"Do you have ANY idea how many germs are on that?"

And my favorite.....

"Are you sure I was invited to this function?"
                          There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

When I was a kid and my mom tucked me into bed I always heard "Kissy Kissy Kermit" before she kissed me goodnight and then she'd say "Puppy dog kisses!" and make "sniffing" sounds in my ears making me giggle. I still do the puppy dog kisses with my kids, but neither of them are into the muppets and get the kissy kissy kermit thing.
                            She always told me "Never become dependent on a man for anything" (can we say somewhat bitter divorce)
                            "The only thing in life that doesn't change is that life is always changing" or simple "Life is change"
                            "I'm the mom, that's why" which she even found a sign that said this and hung in the kitchen and then would just point after a while.
                            "You're 12 (or whatever age) going on 40!"
                            "I'm the official worrier of the household so you don't have to worry about anything"
                            And this one she said a lot, though it may seem kind of strange, I think it was her way of telling us how much we meant to her
                            "I'd take a bullet for any of you"
                            then when we had our own children
                            "No offense, but I'd choose to take a bullet over my grandkids over you guys now if I had to make that decision" LOL Of course my response was, if she chose me over my kids I'd never forgive her anyway.
                            What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

I didnt see this line until this morning. My Grandmother was the greatest for 'sayings'.. my favorites?..

If If If... If you Aunt had had balls she'd have been your Uncle
                              You can wish in one hand & pee in the other.. then see which fills up faster

(The ones she used for being TO busy....)
                              I'm busier than a 1 legged man at a butt kicking contest
                              I'm busier than a 3 peckered goat

God does not give you more than you can handle.. but then again.. maybe you DID do something to piss him off!
                              Horses sweat, men perspire & women GLOW... right now!.. IM glowing like a horse!!!!!

God created man first.. then he realised what mistakes he made... so he created woman. The only reason he used a rib from man was so 'we' could understand what the '*&##' they are saying. (she said men mumble...LOL)

Never underestimate the power of a wooden spoon across a backside!

My Grandma has been gone for many years.. I sure do miss her.

Comment

Working...
                              X