This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imitation is the highest form of flattery

As many of you have probably heard by now I have started my own line of grooming apparel. I have been totally overwhelmed and so thrilled by the fabulous feedback I have received so far about my styles. It has really become hard for me keep any kind of inventory, as I have sold out of so many styles and colors after displaying my line at just 3 shows ( Pasadena, Atlanta and Intergroom). That is why I have not offered my apparel line on my website as of yet.

This has been a great experience but a learning experience as well. I have designed these styles myself from drawings and spent endless hours, days, weeks and months seeking the right fabric that would be durable enough for our industry. I am proud to say that my line is made in the USA!! In the heart of the garment district in New York City. I have been travelling in and out of NYC on a weekly basis to launch this line. I have had my line at the last three shows. It was so exciting to see my booth just swamped with groomers and even more exciting to see the groomers wearing them in the contest ring!

Although, on the down side I was very disheartened to see my styles knocked off by Stylist Wear after just two shows.

After the first show in Pasadena I went home and made a minor alteration to one of my styles. I then took my styles to the Atlanta Pet Fair. Evidently Stylist Wear decided to physically take my styles and send them off to Thailand to make an exact copy (alteration and all). They proudly hung it up in their booth at a Thai price, lower than anything else in their booth. No sooner did I head to the next show a mere three weeks later (Kansas City) did they have another style. It appears Stylist Wear is one my best customers (who would have thought). I wonder what they will buy next! LOL They say that imitation is the best form of flattery but not in this case. A cheap imitation is not at all flattering. I thought polyester died with the disco craze of the '70s. After a night on the dance floor we all came to understand that polyester is not the fabric of the future, but the fabric of the past.

My garments are made of the highest quality nylon. Which repels water and hair as well as has a wicking effect for perspiration.

Many of my friends and fans have suggested to do the same thing and copy their styles. Honestly, I have been grooming for 13 years now and have never bought one thing from them. Their styles and quality speaks for themselves. They have developed their own reputation in this industry as I have with the quality of my DVD series. I will continue to uphold that reputation with the quality of my apparel line. The reason why I started this apparel line was to change the way this industry looks not to copy what is already out there.

The quality of my line speaks for itself. They may look similar from 20 yards away but, side by side there is no comparison. If it doesn't have my logo on it it's not a Jodi Murphy Original.

I have no explanation as to why they did this. They are a company that has been around for years. Why they feel threatened by me is mind boggling. They have now made this a personal attack. There is always that one kid in every neighborhood that feels the need to tease the dog behind the fence......I think you know how that story ends.

I will be at most of the trade shows. You can check my website for shows and dates. I also have some candid shots of my booth for a quick view of some of my styles.
    http://jodimurphy.net/products_apparel.htm

Thank you all for your support and your kind words. I appreciate you all. I will continue to do my best at expanding my line of apparel and changing the way this industry has looked for decades.

My new motto is "I don't sell smocks!" LOL

Jodi

I have had a few StylistWear brand Smocks and pants---I call them my "Moo Moo's" because, well, they ARE! They don't repel hair very well either, unfortunately. I ended up "trading up" to Tikima, and then when Jodi's line came out, I bought 3 of the 3/4 sleeve jackets.

I love my "Jodi Jackets," (since you don't sell smocks, lol), and I get lots of compliments on them. Definitely a difference in quality.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by jodi murphy View Post
      I am proud to say that my line is made in the USA!! In the heart of the garment district in New York City. I have been travelling in and out of NYC on a weekly basis to launch this line. ...........

... Stylist Wear decided to physically take my styles and send them off to Thailand to make an exact copy (alteration and all). They proudly hung it up in their booth at a Thai price,.....
      Thank you for posting this info. I am ALWAYS on the lookout for quality items that are made in the USA.

I like to pay a normal price for a well made item that will LAST. Everytime I make the mistake of buying things that are made in asian sweat shops, I end up paying waaay more in the long run by the time it breaks or gets torn up and needs to be replaced 5 times. Hub and I always joke that anything with "made in china" on the label should really just read "Disposable. Not for re-use."

Comment

Originally posted by D'tails View Post
        Thank you for posting this info. I am ALWAYS on the lookout for quality items that are made in the USA.

I like to pay a normal price for a well made item that will LAST. Everytime I make the mistake of buying things that are made in asian sweat shops, I end up paying waaay more in the long run by the time it breaks or gets torn up and needs to be replaced 5 times. Hub and I always joke that anything with "made in china" on the label should really just read "Disposable. Not for re-use."
        I could be wrong, but I heard somewhere that Stylist Wear makes their stuff at a Mexican sweat shop. Shame.

Tammy in Utah
        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Such a shame! Your clothing is some of the best I have tried. I bought a top and capri's at Atlanta, followed by another top and pants at Intergroom. I think the quality and style are the best out there. I am glad you came out with the line, as I have had enough of the other company's stuff, having to take them to the tailor to have it repaired, fading, broken zippers etc...Just keep on doing what you are doing, we will support you!
          Nicole
          What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

We Support You, Jodie!

Your post is very well to the point and honest. We are here on this board to encourage, educate and lift each other up. (even literally, sometimes.) Can't wait to see your line on your website so those of us who were not able to make it to the show (Pasadena) can purchase grooming wear from someone who truly has a passion for this industry. Thank you, Jodie for all you've done and continue to do for your fellow groomer! **Standing up and giving a standing ovation to give credit where credit is due.**

Comment

Made in the usa

I don't think you really need to say anything else. Thank you Jody for all of your efforts.

sittingpretty

Comment

It is more like DT Dallas Spikeytheyorkie. Jody, when will you make some apparel for the rather well fed, well endowed stylist?

Comment

Hi Jodi,
                  I have just recently been thinking about starting a line of groomers wear myself. Mine would not have a famous name on it, but I can offer a quality product, more of a made to order kind of thing. I think a lot of us are tired of the cheap quality of other brands. I have looked at your web-site and I promise, NO knock offs. I do wish you were selling online for those of us that don't travel to many shows.

Comment

I have to say that Jodi's line is the first line to actually look sporty and stylish. My boss bought some in Atlanta and they ARE really different. You can really tell it is a nicer fabric and better made all around. Keep it up Jodi! We have also been checking your website to see if they are on there yet :0)

Comment

I am a cheapskate......honestly, I never buy things for myself. But when I started my own mobile grooming business, I started thinking about what kind of image I was projecting wearing my old smocks around. Was I really going to charge top dollar and show up to the client's door wearing a draggy looking, faded, baggy SMOCK? When I went to Atlanta and saw Jodi's groomer wear I couldn't believe it. I tried it on and it made me look GOOD! I felt like I visually lost 10 lbs! I thought, well, I'll just get one top. I wore it around during the show. By the end of the show, I had gone back to buy another top and the capris. I was so impressed I was afraid everyone else would figure out how nice this stuff was she would run out!

For a solid two months I wore those tops and the capris every day. And washed them (no dryer). I SWEAR they look as good as the day I bought them. I have to laugh now when I go to the shop (where I still work a couple day part time) and see the big pile of ripped, torn, faded, zippers-don't-work-any-more St****st Wear tops piled up in the bathroom where we change clothes. The girls have to rifle through them every day looking for ones decent enough to wear....sad thing is they are all under a year old!

Miss cheapskate here has bought three more pieces from Jodi. I stopped in the grocery store last night on my way home and did a quick visual check: did I still have the dog bow in my hair holding up my bangs so I could see what I was grooming (I KNOW other people do this too!), undercoat fuzz on my head?, riduculous soap splatter on glasses? Holes in smock? Oh no wait, I looked GOOD in my hot pink top and black capris! (OK well I did have to take the dog bow out of my bangs.....

You go Jodi....and tell us when the winter styles are coming out because I can't WAIT!!!!!

Comment

Jodi, your quality and reputation speaks for itself. There will always be knock-offs and people to buy them, but there are also many of us who know the difference and appreciate quality when we see it.

Comment

Imitation is the highest form of flattery

I have to admit. I went to the Atlanta Show and never did buy a jacket. The reason: the booth was always so crowded when I went past it. I did want to try one on, they looked great from what I could see. Oh well, guess I'll have to make it to another show, Hershey's perhaps.

Comment

I LOVE my top and skort! They are so professional, they look great, and my co-worker was super jealous when all the water beaded up and wiped off! I love the cut and the colors. I have stylist wear as well and a few I thought were stylist wear but they were tikimas, I will never wear them again now that I've used these!

Comment

Actually their office/ warehouse/ storage is in Dallas but the clothing is made in Thailand. Jodi's items are made in New York with her overseeing every pattern and the material.

Comment

Working...
                              X