really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• really?

A Boykin client of mine says she is grateful for finding me because she has tried all the other groomers in town & I am the only one who does not give her doggie an ear infection! Ok thanks for the compliment. All the other groomers in town give her ear infections? Really? She said she has been at her wits end. She has been coming to me about every 10 weeks for past year & NO ear infections! That is a great concern to me about the other groomers in town. I really don't think she has been to literally every single groomer, perhaps she is exaggerating some. Even if it is true about a few of them? What are your thoughts?

Groomers can't "give" a dog an ear infection period.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

So, how do you clean the ears? I currently have a couple of clients that pretty much blame me for their dogs ear infections even though the dogs have them when they come in. How can I cause it if it is already there? I am not a vet so I really don't know it is an ear infection, but smelly, red, swollen ears that the dog scratches at are pretty much a dead give away that something is going on in there. Anywho, so what do you do different?
      I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
      -Michelangelo

Comment

In most dogs that suffer from ear troubles, I put in a little Oxyfresh ear cleaner after the bath to help dry anything out that may have gotten in there. It's worked great for one of my own dogs that always got an ear infection after bathing. All I had to do was get the outside of the ear wet and we'd have an ear infection in about 3 days.

Comment

Originally posted by gr8danlvr1 View Post
          So, how do you clean the ears? I currently have a couple of clients that pretty much blame me for their dogs ear infections even though the dogs have them when they come in. How can I cause it if it is already there? I am not a vet so I really don't know it is an ear infection, but smelly, red, swollen ears that the dog scratches at are pretty much a dead give away that something is going on in there. Anywho, so what do you do different?
          Do you show the client what the ears look like before the groom? That should make it pretty obvious that it's not your fault.

Before I worked at a vet clinic I'd do just that, and explain that I won't clean the ears before a vet has a chance to see them, because that would just be removing the evidence. I didn't tell them the ears were infected, because as you say, I'm not a vet. But I did explain that it needs to be seen by their vet, and I'd write up a "report of findings" for them to give to their vet if they bothered to go.

Comment

You know I generally completely dismiss when a client says something like that BUT just last week I groomed a Standard Poodle and it turns out that she is allergic to the ear cleaner I am using (first dog in 2 1/2 years). So I really was causing an ear "reaction". But an allergic reaction is completely different from an ear infection.

Generally I don't think that groomers are "causing" ear infections. I think that maybe something they are doing is irritating the ears, but the underlying issue was already there. Maybe they do the "twirl and yank" with hemostats.
            "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
              Do you show the client what the ears look like before the groom? That should make it pretty obvious that it's not your fault.

Before I worked at a vet clinic I'd do just that, and explain that I won't clean the ears before a vet has a chance to see them, because that would just be removing the evidence. I didn't tell them the ears were infected, because as you say, I'm not a vet. But I did explain that it needs to be seen by their vet, and I'd write up a "report of findings" for them to give to their vet if they bothered to go.
              I would, except they are the ones to point it out to me and tell me that I didn't pull enough of the ear hair out last time and that is why they are infected. I'm sure their vet keeps feeding them that line, but quite frankly, I can't pull any more hair! I get all the hair my fat little fingers will let me grab, but if their is hair down in the canal, I just can't reach it. I absolutely refuse to stick hemos down there to pluck one or two hairs. I am fairly sure that me plucking so thoroughly is actually part of the problem, but the vet is god, not me (in their eyes of course), so they don't really listen. Apparently it must not bother them enough to switch groomers because they keep coming back to me, just frustrating because I know I am not the problem, but I have to hear about it every month. I know I am not causing the infections, but I could easily see these 2 clients going somewhere else and telling another groomer that, because they tell me that.
              I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
              -Michelangelo

Comment

Ear Hair & Vets

Our vets will only remove the ear hair under anaesthesia REALLY come on. If a dog hasn't been groomed in a while they will tell them to take it to the groomer and make sure the groomer pulls the ear hair out. I've had a dog get an "infection" because they were allergic to the ear powder--haven't seen another one in 6 years. I occasionally will put out a bunch of hair and low and behold the dog will come down with an infection. I don't really think I caused it--it could have been there but they didn't see it with all that hair in there.

I don't pull those big hair ears anymore.....I tell them to take them to the vet.

Comment

Interesting thread. I have a client that says since I started grooming her dog in my mobile vs taking her to old groomer at a salon her dog has not had an ear infection since. She claims her dog got them all the time.

Not to point fingers, but I wonder if it has to do with the bather. I know in many salons the dogs are not bathed by the groomer, but by someone that might be not as trained on how to keep water away from the ear canal.

I have another client that has a couple of cats and she also claims that they would get ear infections after being groomed, but have had no issues since I have been grooming them for almost a year now.

Comment

Originally posted by 3corgis4me View Post
                    Our vets will only remove the ear hair under anaesthesia REALLY come on. If a dog hasn't been groomed in a while they will tell them to take it to the groomer and make sure the groomer pulls the ear hair out. I've had a dog get an "infection" because they were allergic to the ear powder--haven't seen another one in 6 years. I occasionally will put out a bunch of hair and low and behold the dog will come down with an infection. I don't really think I caused it--it could have been there but they didn't see it with all that hair in there.

I don't pull those big hair ears anymore.....I tell them to take them to the vet.
                    Urm....I'm not going to say anything beyond you might want to search our archives for some of the older threads regarding pulling ear hair. It should enlighten you a bit. Sure did enlighten me.
                    There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

water in the ears raely can give an infection but SOAP left in the ears will always give an ear infection , so yes groomers can give ear infections .
                      if water in the ears gives an infection all these dogs that go swimming in nasty lakes creeks or ponds would be coming down with an infections .period

Comment

Originally posted by janelle View Post
                        if water in the ears gives an infection all these dogs that go swimming in nasty lakes creeks or ponds would be coming down with an infections .period
                        This is slightly off topic but today I was getting a bottle of ear cleaner at work and I was looking at the various types of ear cleaner our clinic has. They actually have a product that is for dogs that swim a lot. It is more viscous and is designed to be put in before hand.
                        "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

The pros of vet clinics

This is one reason I love working in a vet clinic. The vet knows I didn't cause the infection, and together we educate the client. Not only that, but I can call them up and tell them what I see, then they get treated that day.

Our policy is we don't pluck ears. If you make us, we charge you for it. But I still have people complaining (nothing serious), just as I did when I worked for a vet that wanted them all plucked. If a dog shakes his head, even four weeks out, it's the groomer's fault. SIGH

Comment

If the customer claims the vet directed the groomer to do ears, anal glads, etc get it in WRITING from the vet. Here is why: Usually the customer is lying and the vet directive never materializes--also, NO vet worth their salt will send a written directive for a veterinary procedure to be done outside of their direct supervision. It is not legal. They have to be in the building. VIOLA! You are off the hook.
                            "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                            People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

My allergy dog got ear infections constantly and the vet would flush them out with water. So I'm not sold on the idea that water in a dog's ear causes an infection. It just doesn't make sense if you're using clean water. I can see them getting an infection from swimming in a lake, or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X