got bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got bit

My first bite ever today and it wasn't even a grooming salon dog.

A customer came in today with a large male pit in a harness. I noticed that the harness was very poorly fitted and offered to show her how to fit it better. She said yes and that he was friendly. I let the dog sniff me and he seemed fine so I knelt next to him and reached for his harness. He lunged at me and grabbed my wrist and then my leg.

Thankfully he did not cause any major damage but did break the skin in a few places. After filling out the paperwork for workers comp and the accident report I went to the hospital to get everything checked out. I got my tetanus booster, antibiotics, a good scrubbing, and a wrist brace. Basically the doc says I am gonna be pretty sore, and that I have some muscle bruising in my hand and wrist but nothing is broken, torn or anything permanent. So long as an infection doesn't develop I will be fine. That said, it scared the crud outta me.

The tetanus shot site hurts more than the bite areas.

You were lucky. Really could have been worse. I hope that you got the name of the owner and a report should be sent to the police/or animal control.

One thing I can't stand or understand WHY do people use harnesses on big dogs? They have no control over them in a harness. In order to control a big un shey should be on collar or choke style or even a martingale collar. Then have obed training.

Comment

Friendly does not mean...

Be on the alert. An owner saying the dog is friendly does NOT mean that it will let you crowd him/her and handle wherever.

Guess you know that now.

You will learn to "read" the dog better, not just listen to the owner. Hope you heal quickly. At least it wasn't the big punctures that such a dog COULD do!! Those were "warning" bites where he inhibited his bite strength on you.

Comment

What did the owner say?

If you had to lean over the dog to fix that harness that would be very threatening to him. Not saying you did but if you did...never do that hehe. I have some dogs that I've groomed for years that I feel very comfortable with but would never lean over them.

Comment

Originally posted by Debbiedogs View Post
          Be on the alert. An owner saying the dog is friendly does NOT mean that it will let you crowd him/her and handle wherever.

You will learn to "read" the dog better, not just listen to the owner. Hope you heal quickly. At least it wasn't the big punctures that such a dog COULD do!! Those were "warning" bites where he inhibited his bite strength on you.
          That's not always the case. Some breeds are notorious for not having a "tell" before they bite. Pit bulls are one of them, and it makes sense, if you think about it. Like it or not, these dogs originated as fighters. And in a fight situation, it's not a good idea to clue your opponent in on what you're about to do.

Most Pits are sweet dogs, so far as humans are concerned. But often, the ones that do bite don't give you much warning before they do it.

And, many times, a Pit Bull's bite is a "catch and hold" bite, rather than the slashing/chewing/shaking bites you might experience with other dogs. If they grab you, and you don't pull back, all you get are small punctures. The real damage doesn't happen unless you try to get free. That's when it gets ugly. Personally, I'd rather be bitten by a Pit than a German Shepherd. GSDs have the most bite power, and they're more likely to do more than just grab and hold.

Comment

Originally posted by Jadenlea View Post
            What did the owner say?

If you had to lean over the dog to fix that harness that would be very threatening to him. Not saying you did but if you did...never do that hehe. I have some dogs that I've groomed for years that I feel very comfortable with but would never lean over them.
            I did introduce myself to the dog and he didn't seem all that interested, then I knelt next to him (not in front) and petted him and he seemed fine with that too. It wasn't till I touched the harness that he flipped. Whirled and got my wrist (a warning bite) and then my leg which was more of a graze but I don't think he was joking considering how bad the bruise is. No real warning, just wham!

Comment

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I had something similar happen, BUT it was my fault. I was going to crouch down next to a sketchy Border Collie and I lost my balance and ended up looming right OVER the dog. The dog freaked and went for my throat. I am sooooo lucky that the dog didn't bite down. I couldn't even be mad at the dog because it was my fault.

I hope you heal up fast. I just got bite by my own dog and THANKFULLY I already have had a tetanus shot.
              "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

The tetanus came with a diphtheria booster cuz diptheria cases have been on the rise and its made me kinda flu-ey feeling so, so far, the shot has made me more miserable than anything. Doc said to expect this though.

The owner of course said "hes never like this." Then while writing down her info the dog lunged at not one, but two people walking past and then snapped at her. Thankfully we had had her muzzle it so it couldn't have done as much damage.

Comment

Originally posted by sarahliz View Post
                  The tetanus came with a diphtheria booster cuz diptheria cases have been on the rise and its made me kinda flu-ey feeling so, so far, the shot has made me more miserable than anything. Doc said to expect this though.

The owner of course said "hes never like this." Then while writing down her info the dog lunged at not one, but two people walking past and then snapped at her. Thankfully we had had her muzzle it so it couldn't have done as much damage.

Where do you work at that this dog wasn't sent back out the door once it started lunging and snapping? I hope it's a vet clinic though even if it was he should have been taken out of the lobby and away from other clients.

I also always wonder WHY people have dogs (what ever the size) in a harness unless the dog has a issue that requires one. Harnesses are used so an animal can get more power to pull something (like a cart).......am I right? I REALLY love the owners that have multiple dogs in harness w/extend leashes......rolling eyes.........

My last tetanus shot hurt the worst after about 3 days. It was like I had a huge bone bruise under there. Definitely felt worse than the actual shot or even the bite that caused me to get the shot!

Hope you are feeling better today and so glad that you didn't get hurt worse. That could have been a really BAD situation!
                  SheilaB from SC

Comment

We had her and the dog behind the grooming counter, so there was also a low fence between the dog and people, that didn't stop it from launching a people walking past. I apparently just pushed its "crazy button." I was pretty content to hide in the back office crying and letting my managers deal with it. I am also super duper thankful it wasn't worse and that its all covered by workers comp. I am going in this wednesday for my annual and was gonna get my tetanus this year anyway, one less thing for me to pay for!

Comment

You didn't push his "crazy button." This dog has some very serious issues and his owner is either over their head with a dog they cannot control or in complete denial that they have an aggressive dog. While it may be possible the owner truly didn't pick up on the signals that they have a problem, that doesn't mean the signals were not there. I would have a very hard time believing this dog went from a perfect angel to biting and lunging at people just because you touched the dog's harness. Something is going on with this dog.

I sure hope this dog was reported to Animal Control and this dog is currently under rabies observation. This owner needs a serious wake up call.

You defintely need to get it out of your head that you caused this dog to bite you. I too am very thankful the bite was not worse and am happy you will make a complete recovery. I wish I could tell you that you will never be bit again, but sadly it happens when you work with animals for a living.

Comment

I also am glad you were not hurt worse, what scares ne is this dog got a "free" bite, meaning no serious correction for this appaling behavior. He should have been seriously corrested for the bite , but anyone that walks a power breed on an ill fitting harness has no business having a dog , nor the sense to correct inappropiate behavior, this dog WILL bite again and it will be serious because he got the "free" bite. So warn others around you so they aren't the victim.
                        ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Originally posted by odette View Post
                          I also am glad you were not hurt worse, what scares ne is this dog got a "free" bite, meaning no serious correction for this appaling behavior. He should have been seriously corrested for the bite , but anyone that walks a power breed on an ill fitting harness has no business having a dog , nor the sense to correct inappropiate behavior, this dog WILL bite again and it will be serious because he got the "free" bite. So warn others around you so they aren't the victim.
                          So what is the appropriate response from a groomer when they are bit or threatened? Both when the owner is around and also when you are alone with a dog?

Seriously, I'd love to hear some opinions. I understand that we are not dog trainers, just groomers. And more than likely we should probably just give the dog back to the owner. But still....I'm curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedd View Post
                            So what is the appropriate response from a groomer when they are bit or threatened? Both when the owner is around and also when you are alone with a dog?

Seriously, I'd love to hear some opinions. I understand that we are not dog trainers, just groomers. And more than likely we should probably just give the dog back to the owner. But still....I'm curious.
                            OOoooohhh, you do love controversy.

I WILL reprimand the dog whether the owner is there or not. Especially if the dog is a dominant dog. If the dog is just bluffing I will go ahead and let them bite (WARNING: this is not for serious biters. Don't ask me the difference, I just get a "feeling" that some dogs would rip out a chunk of flesh and others are just putting on a show). I will firmly tell them no or I make this noise in the back of my throat.

I have a dominant dog, Ace, that is awful for his parents. In the past I have rolled him on his side and waited for him to "give in". Because he thinks he is pack leader over his owners he will sometimes get nippy when they are there. I simply explain to them that I can't let him get away with behavior like that because I can't risk him biting for real when I am grooming him.

For my own dogs, I have no problems spanking their behinds or biting them back. I ABSOLUTELY would not put up with my dogs biting or acting aggressive to another person.
                            "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

If a grooming dog bites you, it really depends on the circumstances and how serious the bite was. A nip when I'm doing nails? I'll discipline and go right on doing nails. A lunge for any convenient body part, with no reason behind it? "Thank you, but you may leave. Have a nice day."

Trying to discipline a dog that is not your own, and was seriously intent on doing you grave bodily harm is only going to get you hurt. Or hurt worse.

If the owner is present when a dog behaves that badly, No, I will not correct the dog. It's not my place, even if the dog needs it, and the owner isn't doing anything. Besides that, if the shoe were on the other foot, and someone decided to correct one of my dogs, they'd have a whole lot more to worry about than my dog's misbehavior.

Comment

Working...
                              X